1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden Interview - 10/29/12 - The Big Show - Sports Talk 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mogrod, Oct 29, 2012.

1. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

5 people like this.
  2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Thank you

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

4. onreego

onreego Member

I wonder what Innes is saying now...

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Haha about the part where they asked him about his NBA friends...

Seriously though...Harden needs to buddy up with Team USA teammate Kevin Love.

6. Luckkky

Luckkky Member

this guy sounds and look like the black kid Briggs from the movie The Little Giants..

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Anyone have a transcript?

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

I liked that the Rockets FO sat down with Harden and explained that they are actively pursuing a complimentary star. Just wonder who....

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

What has he been saying?

10. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

You got Matt & Adam, welcome to town. I'm sure it hasn't sunk in yet but at what point were you thinking you were leaving the Thunder?

To be honest, I didn't know. About two nights ago, when I heard the news, I was at dinner with a couple of my family members. Sam Presti called me and told me I had been traded to the Rockets. I was kinda in shock for a minute but then I kinda got over it and happy to be here now.

Had the Thunder ever come to you or your agent and that if you didn't accept it, they were going to move you?

Earlier in the day they did. I guess that's part of it. I needed more than enough time that they gave me to decide for the biggest decision of my life. They didn't wait any longer.

Biggest decision of your life, all indications yesterday were you would be happy signing long term here. An easy decision to make, because it sounds like you made it?

Oh yeah. Security and I think the Rockets have a young core, young talented team. Very excited to be here. Looking forward to some great things.

We were talking about these items, about being the guy, before we had you on, if it's an off night in OKC, it might not be a big deal because others could pick up the slack, however here where you are "the guy", if it happens, there will be different answers for you to have and how you'll take that role. How ready are you to take that role?

I'm ready. More than ready. That's what I've been doing in HS & college. That 6th man role was new to me. I've grown accustomed to it but I have to change. It will take time to change but I think I'm ready for it.

What is the biggest change when all the attention on defense is focused on you?

More opportunity to score the ball. I'm very versatile in my game. If I'm having a bad shooting night, I can still get my teammates involved. I can still do other things, rebound, create turnovers on defense. I have a lot of aspects to my game and that's what makes it different.

Did making the Olympics as loaded as it was, from a confidence standpoint, was it a indication of how much better you've gotten as a player and how does it feel to be considered one of the best 12-15 players our country has?

It gave me the most confidence ever, dealing with those great group of guys and all-stars who have been noticed for a long time. It was an honor. That shows I'm getting more recognition as games go by and as I play more games. I'm confident in my game to be able to run a team.

Confidence coming from feeling like you belong? To feel like I'm just like anyone else?

It was a competition, playing with guys like Kobe. Just to be around those guys and see how hard they work, obviously they're great players, but how much work they put in, it shows. I learned a lot.

The chemistry, what do you know about your new teammates, if anything? Ever had a chance to play with them before in any sense?

I haven't. I've watched them. We played a preseason game against them a few weeks ago. They look good. Young, great talent. Willing to work hard and willing to win games. Everyone saw what Jeremy Lin did last year. Sky's the limit for us.

A season to play and a lot of work to do, but you're being portrayed as a star. Apparently today in the NBA, that includes recruiting. How weird is this the way the NBA has gone with players getting together. Do you think that will be your job too?

Definitely. Guys are stacking up, wanting to win championships. Whatever it takes. Hopefully I'll talk to the FO to get someone else in here along side me but I have to get settled in right now and work with what we have.

Hypothetically, outside of the OKC guys you played with, who are your best 3 friends in the NBA?

DeMar DeRozan just because we're from the same area, Austin Daye, those are the 2 guys I really only communicate with on a day to day basis.

Can we get you Bynum or Chris Paul or Kobe's number?

Yeah, I talk to Chris Paul occasionally.

I hear he's a FA.

Oh wow. Look at you guys, you already started it.

I think he'd be comfortable in a sixth man's role behind Lin. ... This idea of being on the court with these guys Wednesday night, do you have an idea what Wednesday will be like?

We have our first practice today. We'll see how that goes. From what I heard from McHale, it's a fast paced game. Something I'm used to. A lot of PnR's. We'll have to have our chemistry right, that will take time, but it's still basketball.

Another player you fashion your game after?

I don't fashion my game after anyone. If the comparison was there, Ginobili. Left handed and crafty.

You just have a better hairline basically.

JH (laughing)

We made those same comparisons. A lot of similarities. ... Are you confident in your leadership abilities?

Definitely. I was a leader with the Thunder. I'm ready vocally and to show it. It will take time for chemistry to build but my game and the way I approach it, should bring some wins.

You're teammate Jeremy Lin helped solved a cable dispute in NY. I have a feeling you might bridge the gap to allow Houstonians to see Rockets games as well. Congrats on your new home and coming contract extension. Looking forward to a great season.

Appreciate you both.

#11 J.R., Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  12. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

JVG is supposed to be on 790 with Lance @ 2:30 today discussing the trade.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

He's on now at 610 talking about it.

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Can we get podcasts for both when they become available. Would be much appreciated.