1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden has to choose a route to greatness

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tanviraman, May 28, 2015.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Religion isn't required to become more disciplined and committed. I agree it has helped some folks - and Hakeem is a great example - but it isn't the only way to get there.

2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Look. Olajuwon didn't come in to his own and go next level in maturity and game until he was what. 28-29? Wasnt it the 92-93 season when we lost to Seattle when we saw Hakeem instead of Akeem? Maybe Harden just has not grown up yet. 25 is not that old. I venture to say the vast majority of posters on this board were not management material at the age of 25. So maybe Harden isn't management (leader) material just yet. He could be. If he can transform like Hakeem did and still have all his skills. He will lead us to a ring.

3. tanviraman

tanviraman Contributing Member

Your missing the point, this is not a post about Lance Armstrong. We can also spend hours criticizing his behavior and his ability to lie and hurt anyone that got in his way too. I've seen the documentary the Arnstrong Lie. I'm not endorsing his behavior. But I feel he was beyond extremely competitive and designated him in that category. We can take him out of that column if it will make you happy.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

When Dream was 29 years old, the Rockets missed the playoffs and he was in a public spat with management over their allegation that he was faking an injury. That was when he was nearly dealt to the Miami Heat.

So there's no reason to panic over Harden's lack of maturity at age 25. And he's got way more talent around him right now than Dream did before the 1992-93 season.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

im not denying that he's ultra competative, only issue is that just because the vast majority of cyclists cheat doesnt necessarily mean its an even playing field, some cheat better its simple as that

6. tanviraman

Not for Michael Jordan, he went gambling till late at night. That has been well documented and still put up some of his best games ever. But that's my point, how many people can do that or use that to fuel their fire after a loss? I think Harden should stick to a more normal Lebron path.

If a 25 year old Jordan lost in the playoffs which he did, my guess is he was probably sick and losing sleep for a couple weeks after the fact.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't know about converting to Islam, but I totally agree about sobriety and a healthy lifestyle. You can't tell me that someone with Harden's skill level could perform as poorly as he did last night without a reason. There was a reason, and you know what it is. You just nailed. I am getting pounded on other threads for bringing it up. You can't "party" during the playoffs. It is irresponsible, immature, and unprofessional. Some may say, do you have proof? Yes, last nights performance.

8. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

losing the MVP.

choking the last possession of game 2.

choking game 5 of the WCF.

these things will drive him to get better in the offseason. Up to Morey to fix the other flaws this team has.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

I don't know about last night's Harden. Just don't know. Stumped. Because the extreme difference in Harden's last two games is inexplicable. Playing drunk/hungover and/or shaving points make the most sense, but I don't want to believe those explanations.

Harden's under-performed every playoff series of his entire career. I thought he'd broken through this year. Then last night's debacle. Harden was assisting the GSW so much, I had to wonder if McHale was in on the fix when he left Harden in the game in the 4th Q.

We have two very flawed stars. Dwight can't make free throws or post up. Harden sets turnover records in the biggest game. They have elements of greatness, of course. I don't know if there's a tall, floor general PG out there who can min H+Hs' flaws and max their talents; if there is, I hope Morey snags him. Llull? Maybe. Oh, for a young Chauncey Billups...

And TJ? Like Jerry Reed said in The Waterboy, CUT HIS ASS! Or trade him for a bag of chips, because a bag of chips can block out better than TJ.

10. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

If he wants a long career he can't party period. Booze ages you more rapidly than solid living. If he truly does get ***** faced often then he won't be half the player he is now when he is 30. The body just can not take that kind of abuse and function at a high level that is required for superstar performance. Call it the Vin Baker syndrome.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I'm not even worried about James. Fantastic season dragging this team to a WCF birth. We shouldn't have even been there. I'm more worried about giving him the proper talent around him to get us over the hump.

12. tanviraman

I'm not really sure Harden drinks a lot. He may just like to stay up late and socialize and party. We can't assume that he drinks a lot, there is no proof.

13. ibm

ibm Member

not sure hoe the op and everyone else define greatness.

sounds like harden achieving greatness (like what tim duncan or roger federer has achieved) is a sure thing? like no matter what i buy, lotto or mega millions, i'd hit the jackpot, lol.

i think reality could be far from that.

14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

You are right. There is no proof. Only speculation. Something just does not add up to me. I just don't see how you can go from imposing your will and dominating in one game to just ineptitude in the next without some sort of influence. The talent and skill is there. What prevented it from coming out?

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yeah, its not like Jordan was into late night debauchery at all. That man was all business. Harden had two near triple doubles at Oracle this playoffs. He's fine. We need a better supporting cast. But please, keep talking talking out your butts here.