1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden defensive improvement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jan 24, 2019.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

IMO we saw significant improvement last season .

But this year , without CP3 to take an offensive load , James has AGAIN upped his defensive play (obviously in addition to his offensive explosion)

He's great in the post but that's nothing new

To me what's new is that he is a lot better at using his quick hands to get steals , strips , and knock the ball out of bounds if he gets beaten .

He's really turning into a very good defender and I can't wait to see what his D looks like (yes I know) when CP3 can free up some energy for him .

Discuss

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You have said it all eloquently. He is taking defense more seriously than ever. I think his very solid defensive performance against GS in last year's playoffs has given more confidence. Not only did he grab 15 rebounds but he also got 5 steals against the Knicks, as an example. I think this will continue from Harden if the overall team defense gets better. Go Harden Go! Go Houston Rockets!

mikol13 and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. s3ts

s3ts Member

i think he's amplifying his fortes.

he's not that LBJ-style, come from behind, block a layup out of nowhere type of guy.

he slowly chases, but his eyes are fixed on slapping the ball away before the ball goes up into a layup or shot.

when he defends the paint against a post-up, you can't move him, so he's very effective there on the block.

he's 4th in the league for steals (2.1) behind RW, PG, Covington. it just adds even more credit to his efficiency.

saleem and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. today

today Contributing Member

To me, deflections are also a very important defensive stat and Harden is tied with Paul George for #1 in the NBA at 3.8/game.

What!?!?! That can't be right... the internet tells me that James Harden is a bad defensive player and Paul George is one of the best defensive players in the league. I must be looking at it wrong, the internet is always right. /sarcasm

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden has always been great in the post defensively.

I think one thing we are seeing is Harden's STAMINA being utilized defensively now. The offense is obvious. But his new stamina helps with the more energetic effort

snowconeman22 and mikol13 like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I noticed he is up nearly one foul committed per 36 awhile back and I wondered if it was an intentional part of the game plan to start reaching more and going for more steals at the expense of fouling a bit more.