1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hard Choices..

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Nero, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Summer Song Giver

2. raining threes

I would give up a 4th for Romo. You would somehow have to clear cap space for him. It could be done by letting Cush/JoJo/Weeden go. Nobody's going to trade for Watt and his 100 mil contract with a potential bad back.

BTW, what are the odds that Romo who has broken his back and TWO TIMES broken his collarbone? Better than 50-50, pass on Romo.

Give me Cutler who's 46-8 when the Bears defense gives up 20 points or less.

And DRAFT A QB.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

First things first. Keep Crennel!

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im all for Romo, but anything more than a 4-5th round pick, is just silly.

And I'd rather trade for him than have him get cut and sign him...would save us about 5 million in cap money.

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I seriously can't believe the OP suggested trading Clowney or Watt for Romo.

Ludicrous.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

At least the crazy element has moved on from Favre finally....now it's Romo.

7. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Trades: JJ Watt for Romo or Rivers. This team has proven it can compete without Watt on the defensive side.
    Notable Cut: Prosh,Ervin,Clark, Weeden, Bergstrom, & Nelson
    Starters for 2017 should be:

WR1:Hopkins
    WR2:Strong (I can't trust Fuller catching the ball)
    LT: Brown
    LG: Draft Pick
    C: Martin
    RG: Allen
    RT: Draft Pick
    TE: Anderson (I don't like Griffen & can't trust CJ catching the ball)
    RB: Miller
    FB: Blue (Big enough and we barely use this position anyways so having Prosh on the roster just to play FB is a waste of roster spot)
    QB: Romo or Rivers

The starting D:
    DE:Clowny
    C:Reader
    DE:Covington
    LB:Mercilus
    LB:Cushing
    LB:McKinney
    LB: Draft Pick (LB than can cover)
    CB:Johnson
    CB:Bouye
    S: Demps
    S:Kareem Jackson (too slow to be a corner and maybe should try S. I like Bouye at the CB much more than KJ)

8. rezdawg

Guys, the Texans will never trade Watt at this point in time...that is absolutely stupid. It's not going to happen, and if it does, I would urge everyone to find a new team to cheer for. It makes ZERO sense.

If Romo is not released, he could be had for a mid round draft pick....there is absolutely no reason to trade away one of the greatest defensive players in history. I mean, I dont even know why Im wasting time typing this.

red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If there is a qb that the Texans like at the top of the draft I would be ok trading Clowney and our #1 to move up and get him.

10. StevieCrossover

Just drop Osweiler. Pay him his millions and wont have to play him again.

mikol13 and the shark like this.
  11. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I didn't know that houston had so many idiots on clutchfans. You don't trade the best defensive player and future hall of famer for a 35 year old qb. Yeah texans defense was #1 this year without him but who's to say that it was just an off year for some other defenses and what if clowney gets injured? I can see us cutting cush, jjo and some other players that are up there in age. We just need to trade for whatever we can get with our draft picks. Hopefully Rick smith can pull off a daryl morey

red5rocket likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are as dumb as the original poster. I guess you missed my post Romo going for a 4th or 5th rounder. He may even be cut.

13. Buck Turgidson

How does the cap situation work regarding Romo? Haven't really thought about/researched that.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's truly insane sometimes.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'll take his huge cap hit ($23-25mil the next 3 years) unless we send out salary in return.

Basically, our whole capspace will be used to fit him (before accounting for cuts and signings).

16. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

So bc you don't agree with what I said that makes me dumb? Ok that's very smart

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It's just not agreeing with him, he thinking is LAZY and shows he knows NOTHING about the NFL. Older players don't go for #1 picks. Older players don't have value that is worth Clowney, yet alone Watt. Also, you have to understand the Cowboy's cap situation. Can the Cowboys keep Romo? Sure....problem is they need to fix their defense. They need to sign Free Agents. Romo's $19 million is a drag on the team. He will either be CUT or traded for a 4 or 5th rounder. All these Texans want Romo rumors are to drive up his price after Denver said we are not trading for him. Go read the Cowboy's message boards HOPING AND PRAYING that the Texans are willing to trade Clowney or Watt for Romo....LOL. Don't believe any of it. Cowboys are going to find out the same thing the Colts did with Peyton. Teams will wait the Cowboys out and wait for him to be cut. Their only hope is that a team like the Jets BELIEVE the Texans' will trade for Romo. Otherwise, Romo will be available sometime in March after being cut.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

BTW....McNair will NEVER trade Watt, ESPECIALLY TO DALLAS. You can forget about Clowney too.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. Why would either team help each other out?!

20. rezdawg

He has a 19 million dollar cap hit next season...14 of it in base salary and 5 in bonus money. In a trade, the Texans are only responsible for the base salary of 14 million. The remainder of the deal is non-guaranteed, so if we don't like what we see in him, we cut him with no penalty for 2018.

If he is released, he would probably be seeking at least the 19 million dollars he was scheduled to get paid...so in a sense, might be worth a 5th round pick to save 5 million on the cap.