1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hampton Rumor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Almu, Jun 19, 2000.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Just got from a friend in the Yankees organization that the Yanks will be making a big time run at Hampton this year.

Also, she told me that the Astros are prepared to offer whatever it takes to get Hampton back to Houston.

As a Brave fan, I hope that we can get him since he has whispered he wants to come to Atlanta. But as of now, the Yanks and the Astros look to make a big time push for his services in the off-season.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Yankees can have him. I doubt the Astros will make a run at him.

------------------
    Bring It!!

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The 'Stros are gonna make a run at him???

Why? Whats the friggin point??

They traded him when they still could have used his services, now they suck, and they want to make a run at him??!

How stupid is the Astros front office?

------------------
    We need some meat in the post and I don't mean Brian Grant!

4. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

I think it's a conspiracy. The Astros are very smart, I think they made a wink, wink [​IMG] deal. The deal was that they ship Hampton to get some good young players (to replace the ones in the Johnson deal), and to finally dump Derek Bell's contract. After trading him, they would resign Hampton in 2001. I think that's what they did the trade. I wouldn't be surprised if the Astros won the pennant next year behind Staff Ace Mike Hampton. Have faith in the 'Stros, just watch.

5. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

I do find it odd that the Stros will try to acquire Hampton after the ordeal. On the other hand, I think Hampton will be great for us because we need more ground ball pitchers for our launch pad.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Considering the fact that they handed Carl Everitt to the Red Sox for free, I think we can pretty much throw that out.

7. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Everett was a different case...we knew he was going to demand 9mill a year, and probably would sign with a big market club (Yankees) for that kind of money.

8. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Rkman. But my friend Cabbagepatch makes a good point.

We freaking gift wrapped Carl Everett for the Red Sox. And what did we get. One potential shortstop who can play defense but has no bat. Great. Sounds alot like a shortstop we already have by the name of Tim Bogar.

The Astros did such a great job in plucking Carl Everett out of nowhere. He was our Ken Griffey Jr. We did not have to worry about Jr because we had our own version. But oh no, not only do the Astros not want to pay Carl the money he deserves. They trade him for some potential shortstop.

Man, it still pisses me off.

How is it that a team like the Braves only make deals to keep getting better or at least trying to improve and the Astros (i.e. Drayton McClane) just give away their talent.

Drayton McClane needs to sell the Astros to an owner that cares about winning.

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited June 20, 2000).]

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, it looks like Everett is learning to hit, albeit on the AAA level.

He's batting around .290 for a month-plus now.

As for getting Hampton back, that would be awesome. Plug him into a rotation of Reynolds, Elarton, Holt, Lima and/or Dotel would make for a very formidable pitching staff.

------------------
    "Go to hell Costas"-Dave Nelson after sweeping the ABSCAs on NewsRadio

visit www.swirve.com

10. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

He's just saying that because the Yankees traded him to the Mets when he was a minor leaguer. After he came to Houston, he talked bad about the Mets. I bet, now that he's in Boston, he's talking bad about the Astros.

11. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Out of all the moves in the offseason the one that got to me was Everett. The Hampton one I understood. He said he wanted to go to a big market team and wouldn't even try to negotiate a contract with the Stros. So you ship him out. To add to the fire though I have heard Hunsicker say that they would welcome him back with open arms. Anyways the Everett trade is not as everybody thinks it is. Not that it is good for us and we probably will get the lower end of the deal but you cannot judge a trade like this until 2-3 years down the road. You have to see what Adam Everett eventually does on the big league level before you deam it a failure or success.

------------------

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

RKMAN,

Everett wouldn't play with the Yankees for 100 million per. Have you seen what he has said about the Yankees?

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan