1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem's sneaker deal with Spalding is over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mantronix, Mar 18, 2000.

1. mantronix

mantronix Member

I called up Spalding to find out if Hakeem is still endorsing sneakers with them and he is not. I dont know what happened but I just want thank Hakeem for putting out an affordable and quality sneaker for the last 4 years. I really felt proud wearing his sneakers over the years and I felt inspired on the basketball court playing with them. Let's all sing Hakeem's praise in this thread because he is more than great basketball player he is a humanitarian.

------------------

2. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

Although i never owned a pair, i always admired him for putting out affordable shoes because it showed people it doesn't matter what shoes you're wearing...it's how you play.

------------------

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

You can imagine why the deal ended.

"Spalding ... the shoes that never leave the floor."

4. MoDunks

MoDunks Contributing Member

will....that was great!!!!

LOL!!!

------------------
    Rocket2000...A year to remember.

5. mantronix

mantronix Member

That was a cheap shot on Hakeem.

------------------

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I own three pair. In fact, I'm wearing a pair right now.

"Spalding ... the shoes that never leave the floor."

Hmmmm.. At 5'9" and 230lbs, I could dunk a volleyball in my Hakeems. So, they seemed to work for me.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited March 19, 2000).]

7. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

Real quality Will.

I've had them. Mine always got up.

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

[This message has been edited by Not Chaney (edited March 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Not Chaney (edited March 19, 2000).]

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

i had a pair of hakeem shoes. i really liked them i wish i still had them i might somewhere. i would like to keep them as a souvenir. they were cool although i got quite a ripping at school for wearing $30 hakeem shoes instead of $150 nike's but who cares i'd take dream shoes over those others anyday because he ruled the court. i also used to wear drexler's reebox shoes which weren't real cheap but at like $70 were pretty reasonable compared to other shoes and i liked them.

Hakeem water ruled also i had some of the stuff when it first came out that i still have but never got the bottle with the new uniform on it ahh
    ------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

[This message has been edited by Rocket Fan (edited March 19, 2000).]

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

the shoes were pretty good too they didn't last forever but pretty good for the price my mom loved the price too. every other kid wanted 150 dollar shoes and i wanted hakeem's instead of the expensive ones.

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I remember one time in 6th grade PE when I wasnt a Rockets fan my friend saw some kid wearing Hakeem's and said, "I wonder why Hakeem has such a crappy brand."

Did Hakeem sign with Spalding before he was MVP & stuff?

------------------
    COME BACK CHARLES!

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Seems like he was with another brand before Spalding. LA Gear or some other minor brand?

Mango

------------------
    It could be worse ....... you could have been born a Jazz fan!!!!

12. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Will, Moochie Norris is already going too kick your ass.

Hakeem and his Spaldings left the floor twice walking away with 2rings and 2 final MVP's. Then I remember them leaving the floor together with an league MVP trophy. Name one man who has treated his Spaldings so kindly.

------------------

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

It was really cool to have Hakeem shoes back in the early/mid 90's when he was in the same class as Micheal Jordan. It's so sad to see what happened to him. Jordan went out on top. Hakeem can still go out on top if he retires after this season. I can't bear to see him struggle next season.

------------------

14. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

Mango...Bingo. It was LA Gear. I remember thinking that his old fire on the side Gears were pretty bunk.

He endorsed it at the same time Karl Malone was sporting the Gears also. So I could never in full respect for my feet purchase a pair. Even if Hakeem in his prime was also endorsing them.

15. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Dreamshake,

Didn't he used to have a LA based agent named Leonard Armato or something similar?
    I think he had Dream signed with LA Gear through his LA contacts.

Was Shaq a client of Armato also?

Are we hurting this much for topics to be discussing shoe contracts?

Mango

------------------
    It could be worse ....... you could have been born a Jazz fan!!!!

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

As much as I love Hakeem, I never bought a pair of L.A. Gear. Sheesh they were friggin' ugly.

The Spalding Hakeem shoe is not the best shoe in the world for actually playing basketball, but they're cheap, and you can always tape your toes like I do....

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

17. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

I think the first version were the coolest. They were all constructed basically the same but with new styles. They all did have the official game tongue and were overall good.

The ones with the large 34 on the sides were least favs.

------------------
    We would like to get rookie Francis on the break for some easy scoops in the first quarter...

18. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

I had a pair of Hakeems once. I tried to wear them but they made my feet bleed. I alternated shoes trying to break them in for weeks, but they just plain hurt. I still liked them though. "Strong" and "Finish".

------------------

19. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

whoever it was that asked he signed with spalding after the mvp stuff. i remember getting them l ike the year after the championship when they first came out

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"

20. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Nike Offered HAKEEM a contract for Shoes before he signed with Spalding, but they wouldn't reduce the price of the shoe. He said he didnt want single parents and low income families spending that much on shoes and having people killed over his shoes....
    Now thats called honorable, while Jordan endorses Underwear, Batteries and anything...Jordan has no self-respect
    So you can joke about the shoes but not the principles he lives by.

------------------