1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem's Hernia: Good for the Team??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketMan Tex, Dec 1, 1999.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hakeem has a hernia that will be operated on today (Wednesday 12/1/99) and he will be out of action for approximately 6 weeks. Here is my question:

Do you think this will be good for the team? Will it open up the offense and create more of a transition style that will benefit the individual styles of Francis, Anderson & Mobley? Will it create space in the middle for slashing drives to the hoop? And, if Hakeem's absence does all of this, and the Rockets start winning, will it lead to permanent changes in Rudy T's offense?

I'm eager to hear your responses.

------------------
    Just Win Baby! More Than Three Times!

2. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Your last question: And, if Hakeem's absence does all of this, and the Rockets start winning, will it lead to permanent changes in Rudy T's offense?

Do you know Rudy T.? I assume that he knew that putting Hakeem and Charles on the court at the same time did no good for the team even before Hakeem got injured. Here comes the problem: Hakeem and Charles have way much more authority than Rudy has. If not, Rudy should have sent Charles off the bench for the team's good.

All that said, do you think Rudy will change anything after Hakeem is fully recovered? I doubt it.

As for your other questions, I think YES. Now our offense would not be as preditible as before. Now the lane gets open and our "drivers" can have more space for slashing and create shots for other teammates. As I have noticed, Charles has been a more willing person than Hakeem in adapting to the new offense. And remember, Charles still gets his post-up game going. [​IMG] That said, I think the team will build some incredible chemistry during the period Hakeem is injured.

Don't get me wrong! I'm absolutely a Hakeem-lover. He's great and everything. But unfortunately his offense is no longer compatible with the existing one on the team. Here's hoping he will be willing to adapt to a different role as he comes back, i.e. concentrating on defense and getting rebounds (especially offensive).

Also, I hope Rudy will not go back to his "stubborn-ness" when Hakeem comes back. Post-up game is no longer the security blanket. We have to change, especially offensively. By being stubborn, Rudy will only make our aging stars look real bad. As a Rockets fan, I definitely want to see our Dream and Chuck retire gracefully, not with a losing record, at least.

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

<CENTER>Dream, get well soon!</CENTER>

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we will here that the Rockets are getting better because they are GELLING not because Hakeem is out. [If this happens which i think will]

So I doubt much will change when he gets back.
    I think what I'll look for is to see who will be the TRUE ROLE PLAYERS . . . those who can get Sig. Minutes and still be productive. . .

I'm beginning to like Matt Bullard again . . . He earning his minutes. [Still a Defensive liability but. . . THAT AIN'T WHAT HE IN THERE FOR!!!]

Rocket River

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hakeem is a proud man, and is against change. He has won with the Post up offense and is very hesitant to work towards a different style.

That being said, when he went out in 93-94, Hakeem was one of the most selfish players in the NBA, he would not pass to save his life. What happened, you ask? With Hakeem out, the Rockets went on a franchise best 16 game winning streak. Their primary play was the pick and roll between K. Smith and Otis Thorpe. When Hakeem saw this, he came back and took on a much different role, as he realized his teamates could play a little ball themselves.

Here is hoping history repeats itself.

DaDakota

"What if the sky really is falling?"

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think his absence may not be great for our record, but it will go a long way in getting our guards good at plays run for them. (Plus, let's not forget that Cato, who is now on my fantasy b-ball team, should be doing some damage for me)

When Dream gets back, I think Rudy will want to run some of the old post-up plays just as before. But he will also consider some of the plays run for the guards as part of the reportoire and will try to mix that in. Cato will have had to go high post (or somewhere) for these, and Olajuwon will do the same. We'll see some of the old but also something new.

7. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

I agree with JuanValdez. Hakeem being out will probably not help our record. Will it then be possible to still make the playoffs?

It is definitely a more energetic, running and gunning team without Hakeem but of course we need him. I would like him to let Stevie now be the franchise player and adjust his game as yall have mentioned. Not just blocking and rebounding though cus he has some very reliable shots, and we will need him to take those shots. To be in rhythm for those shots he needs to have pretty many touches though. He needs to be involved. Can he adjust?

I kind of like the idea of CAto starting with Hakeem and Charles coming off the bench with Cato going to center. Let the young buck play!

REally I don't think Rudy is being stubborn. I think it must be a real problem making sure the guys get the minutes they expect. But hey whatever it takes to win!

I'm sorry. This is my last post tonight as I don't know if I am even making sense. Good night.

8. Booster

Booster Member

DaDakota,

93-94 was their first championship season. They went on a 15 game win streak to start the season WITH Hakeem in the line up.

9. alaskansnowman

<h4>If we are playing well and winning games, then I think Rudy will try to mix up the offense more. I mean, you have to use Hakeem's talents at the post up, but only SOMETIMES. If we use him a lot, then it will be the same stagnant offense with a little bit more diversity(i.e. the first 10 games of the season) The only other time that we should consistently use Hakeem as an offensive weapon is when he shoots those 15-18 footers. Let francis and shandon penetrate and kick it out to hakeem. Or set picks for Hakeem so that he can stop, catch, and pop the jumper.