1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon the GOAT?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by varughese.arun, Mar 24, 2017.

?

So, would you put Hakeem in your Top 5 All time?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. varughese.arun

Recently, a statistical analysis showed what most Rockets Fans have known all along: Hakeem Olajuwon is the GOAT.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thed...15038020/houston-rockets-hakeem-olajuwon-goat

https://hickamsdictum.com/the-g-o-a...ll-player-of-all-time-e43c7e53a9a7#.wlug4btx5

However, for some reason, people don't acknowledge just how good he was. People think I'm crazy when I put Hakeem on my Top 5. Who else is better at the 4 than Hakeem?

So, would you put Hakeem in your Top 5 All time?

Here is my Top 5 (best at each position).

- Kareem
    I never watched him play, but I'll believe the hype.

- Hakeem
    1st in all time blocked shots
    8th in all time steals
    11th in all time points
    13th in all time rebounds

- Bird
    I never watched him play but The guy averaged 24 ppg; 10 rb; 6 ast

- Jordan

- Magic
    I never watched him play, but I'll believe the hype.

#1 varughese.arun, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Better at the 4???

topfive and Richie_Rich like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not just stats, he uplifted an entire city which had zero championships in the major sports and have suffered major losses
    it's that he started in Houston in college and almost brought a championship and got the job done in the pros
    its also the offense and defense and spectacular moves

it was never about the shoes, it was always about the city

Ramo$e, cml750 and RasaqBoi like this.
  4. atam

atam Member

I think you can definitely argue about Hakeem or Kareem as the greatest centers of all time.
    Shaq, Russell, and Wilt are 3-5 in no particular order IMO.

It depends entirely on what you value in a center (versatility, accolades, dominance, etc.) so everyone will have a different opinion. But according to analysts, rings tend to outweigh anything else, and that's why Hakeem doesn't get the same attention that the other aforementioned players do.

5. varughese.arun

I understand he was listed at the 5, but I think Hakeem is truly a 4. The first stretch 4.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

He wasn't listed as a five, he played the five.

7. varughese.arun

Yeah.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jordan
    Kareem
    Hakeem
    LeBron
    Shaq

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm not surprised by this. I've talked about it extensively on here. Hakeem during the regular season might finish 15th in this same measurement, but Hakeem wasn't in the league to play the regular season. He was forced to play the regular season so that he could qualify for the tournament that really mattered to him. He's the greatest ever. F- Jordan.

10. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

He just cracks my top 5

1. Dmo
    2. JLin
    3. The Franchise
    4. Moochie Norris
    5. Hakeem

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Dude, how old are you?

12. mightybosstone

I love Hakeem. The man is my all-time favorite athlete, the reason I started watching professional sports as a kid and one of my role models and heroes growing up. That being said, the guy is not the greatest of all-time. That honor goes to Jordan based on pretty much any legitimate statistical analysis or barometer one could use to judge professional basketball players. Lebron, for me, is a distant second, but I'd rank him above everyone else. Then there's a number of guys you could make a case for, but I'd rank at least Kareem and Wilt ahead of Dream.

You could make a strong case for Hakeem at No. 5 after those guys. But I think, gun to my head, I'd give a slight edge to Duncan and Shaq. Objectively, I've got Hakeem at No. 7 with Magic, Bird and Russell rounding out my top 10. All three of those guys get a little overrated because of their contributions to the game and their dominance in their respective eras, but they simply weren't as dominant from an all-around production standpoint as the other seven guys ahead of them. Kobe is just outside looking in as my clear No. 11.

I can understand completely loving an athlete to the point of struggling to be objective in all-time discussions like this, but I think if we all took our homer glasses off for a second, we could all easily come to the conclusion that Hakeem is not the greatest basketball player of all-time.

13. mightybosstone

He wasn't. He was a center who played the 5 essentially the vast majority of his career except for those few years where he shared the front court with Sampson (and even then you could make a case for him as the team's center). Just because a guy can hit an 18-footer does not make him a PF.

topfive likes this.
  14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'll give you my top 5 later but whoever votes NO in the poll needs to be instantly perma-banned.

I don't want any excuses from them b****es.

Ramo$e, cml750, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Stretch 4s don't get the most blocks of all time and tangle with the Golden Era of centers.

16. macan

macan Member

There's only one GOAT--Michael Jordan
    The rest are just great players.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

The new generation does not understand basketball of the 80s and 90s.

Basically the Power Forwards and Centers played inside the paint with rebounding and defense

This all changed when Rudy T made Robert Horry, our power forward in 94-95, jack up a bunch 3s
    ever since that, everyone was copying the stretch 4

18. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Jordan and LeBron are the only ones clearly ahead of him, also hard to put him ahead of Kareem. Hakeem is in the next tier with guys like Magic, Duncan, & Shaq (I don't like to include guys like Wilt or Russell since it's all but impossible to compare other eras to theirs). He's in my top 5

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Anyone not old enough to the Rockets vs Bulls when Dream and Jordan played in the early 90s
    need to shut their mouths permanently and never post on the internet on this topic

leave it to people who were real witnesses

cml750, RasaqBoi and Blurr#7 like this.
  20. mightybosstone

I voted "no." I'm just being objective, chief. You can love a player and still be objective when comparing them historically to other great players. I could make a case for him in my top five, without question. But if I take a step back and am honest with myself by the barometers I generally use to judge players, I honestly don't think he's top five.

FearTheBeardJH likes this.