1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon eyes potential ownership stake in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 1, 2017.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ially-joining-houston-rockets-ownership-stake
    • BIRMINGHAM, U.K -- The Houston Rockets were put up for sale in July by long-time owner Leslie Alexander, and one former player said he'd be interested in joining a future ownership group.

"I'm buying it," Hall of Famer Hakeem Olajuwon joked Tuesday, before getting more serious about the matter.

"Many groups now have called me and want me involved," Olajuwon, now a Rockets team ambassador, said. "With two of the groups, I'm doing my background check to see if that is a possibility. Just an association would be great.

"I'm still with the organization now. I have a contract with the Rockets, not to be in an ownership position. But if the opportunity opens itself, it will be something great."

With Olajuwon, the Rockets won back-to-back titles. Both of those championships came after Alexander purchased the franchise in 1993.

While the Rockets haven't been back to the Finals since those mid-1990s teams, a squad that features MVP runner-up James Harden, Coach of the Year Mike D'Antoni and newly acquired point guard Chris Paul has raised interest and expectations in Houston.

The Rockets are so hot right now that Houston native and Grammy winning superstar Beyonce has interest in being part of a future ownership group as well, according to a Bloomberg report.

"I think they were a championship team last year," said Olajuwon, who now lives in the United Kingdom where his children are in school and he is involved with a basketball club in the city of Birmingham. "That series we lost against San Antonio, I think we could have given Golden State a better series than San Antonio did.

"I believe that I've never played one season thinking we cannot win a championship. It's open in the playoffs -- I believe if this team plays with confidence and plays their game, they have a chance.

"I've always believed that if you have a legitimate team like Houston, with one of the best records in the league, they are a championship team. But of course, the West is so strong that you have to go against Golden State or San Antonio. But I think they can beat San Antonio."

roslolian, Plowman, djperm and 21 others like this.
  2. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Can Hakeem teach Harden how to have heart?

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. aroundtheblock2

Now Hakeem as a minority owner I can get behind. Beyonce....thanks but no thanks.

ktex likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Now that's news everyone can get behind!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plowman, djperm, TracywtFacy and 13 others like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Hakeem and Beyonce are two-thirds of the Houston holy trinity.. Kev Jumba completes the troika!!

slim pickings for Houston celebrity..

D-rock and lionaire like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Please, oh please let this happen! I would feel vastly better about a sale if Hakeem was involved. Great find, tinman!

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

She is the booty to Dream's heart.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm done. syyyguy goodbye. Blocked. I'm sure others will join me.

#8 don grahamleone, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Patience, D-rock, Ranny and 7 others like this.
  9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Hilary duff, robert glasper!

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Sell it to Hakeem and Beyonce for cheap, Les!

D-rock and FANfrom86toNow like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'd love if hakeem would be the sole owner. but of course he would need to be a minority owner, with someone else shelling out the actual bulk of the cash. so not sure what to make of that situation if someone else would be getting the final word on actual decisions.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We should get Joel Olsteen in on the action... lol

djperm and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  13. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Oh god no, he's creepy as hell. Every athlete follows him on twitter though so maybe he will help our sales pitch to free agents? Haha

14. onreego

onreego Member

Hakeem, Clyde, Beyonce, Mutumbo, and Mattress Mack. Houston's new superteam?

15. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Man, if only Yao would reconsider. Hakeem, Beyonce, Yao, that's a dream team of ownership right there.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Hmm, I wonder what groups are trying to recruit him. They'd probably front him the $$ for that endorsement.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

And bring back some Kettle restaurants Dream please.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Hakeem Olajuwon eyes potential ownership .....:)

Plowman, D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  19. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I'm probably going to buy some expensive season tickets anyway, but I would definitely do it to support this!

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Anything that keeps Olajuwan associated with the team is a good thing!

djperm, D-rock, Richie_Rich and 2 others like this.