1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon basically slapped in the face : check this out guys!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Jan 2, 2000.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From HoustonChronicle.com :

No Dream team -- The NBA is conducting an on-line poll for the top international player of the '90s, and Dikembe Mutombo currently has a huge lead in the balloting.

One problem, though.

Seems that despite being named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players and leading the Rockets to back-to-back titles in 1994 and '95 (that's in this decade, right?), the folks putting the poll together left Hakeem Olajuwon off the ballot and offered no explanation for the omission.

Everyone concedes something is wrong, but no one is sure how it happened.

Anyway, Mutombo, from Zaire, has 49.8 percent of the vote, followed by Toni Kukoc (Croatia) at 19.9, Drazen Petrovic (Croatia) 15.6, Arvydas Sabonis (Lithuania) 11.9 and Luc Longley (Australia) 2.5.

Also apparently omitted is Detlef Schrempf, who has had a distinguished career with Indiana, Seattle and Portland in this decade, and Dennis Rodman, the league's first Martian.

------------------
    Rocket fuel pumps through these veins...

2. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

they probably left him off the list because he won center of the decade, and they knew that if they put him in their he would overwhelmingly win.they probably just wanted it to be competitive.

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I noticed this earlier today, and started to post on it before I got sidetracked w/ the question... didn't dream get citizenship back in the early 90s?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So once you become a citizen, you stop being "international"? [​IMG]

------------------

5. Achebe

[​IMG]
    i'm not sure, i was just wondering what the 'rules' are to their vote. for example, if their 'historian' (some database programmer) chose to select all of the players that were non-citizens (unlikely i concede) rather than select all of the players born elsewhere, then i could understand the error.

but you're right, it doesn't make any sense.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, after I posted that I was hoping you wouldn't take that seriously, which you didn't. But I never thought about the "citizenship" question till you posted it, either. My only guess is that Hakeem went to college here and that may have knocked him out of the running... but then, so did Mutombo. I dunno.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 02, 2000).]

7. mantronix

mantronix Member

What did you expect Hakeem gets slapped in his face by a few of the clutch city bbs writers so you cant be surprised.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I didn't quite follow your train of thought there, mantronix. What do you mean? I was talking about the nba.com survey.

------------------

9. alaskansnowman

Those guys at nba.com are a bunch of punks. You can't even put Hakeem and Dikembe in the same talent class for crying out loud.

SIDE NOTE: I hate it how you can't download the highlight reel plays on your computer. You have to open it up on the site, and come back to that site just to view it. It would be so much betta if you could just download them on your computer so you can just watch them any time you feel like it. Man, those guys are a buncha punks.

10. Nutcracker

Nutcracker Contributing Member

alaskansnowman
    on your side note, you can get it off your computer, its stored in the cache on your hard drive, usually its in C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files
    if you are using Microsoft IE
    or C:\Netscape folder if you are using netscape,

11. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

i agree with whomever said it was a citizen issue. I think it was that simple, hakeem is considered an american, i dont think mutombo is.

otherwise it is a no brainer.

I know that hakeem only recently became a citizen, becuz i was at one time mad that he was left off of Dream team 1. (he would have made it instead of ewing or david, imo.)

12. Achebe

gr8-1,
    it was the olympic stuff that made me wonder also. Remember how the NBA made such a big deal about Mutumbo going back to the Congo/Zaire/National Republic of... Country formerly known as--- whatever, to help their olympic team? Also Kukoc plays for his country also (seems like Croatia, but I think he's a Serb). Whoa, I need to do the Billy Madison to get an update on World History.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

in the same poll, hakeem was named the center of the decade for the entire nba....

14. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

If Detlef is also an American citizen now, I guess that would answer the question. HOwever, I have no idea of how to go about finding out. Anyone???

15. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Well, I did manage to find a little something. It wasn't updated though, stating Detlef is with the Sonics!

Detlef Schrempf
    Seattle SuperSonics

HT./WT.: 6-10/235
    BORN: 01/21/1963, Leverkusen, Germany.
    HIGH SCHOOL: Centralia (Wash.).
    COLLEGE: Washington.

PERSONAL NOTES
    Wife, Mary was a hudler for the West German National Team. ... International business major. ... Enjoys football and tennis. ... Big fan of Joe Montana and Boris Becker.

CAREER NOTES
    Selected by Dallas Mavericks in first round (eighth pick overall) of 1985 NBA Draft. ... Traded by Mavericks with 1990 or 1991 second-round draft choice to Indiana Pacers for C/F Herb Williams (February 21, 1989). ... Traded by Pacers to Seattle SuperSonics for F Derrick McKey and F Gerald Paddio (November 1, 1993). He was on the German Olympic team in 1992 so unless he has obtained citizenship since then, I guess the citizenship reason for leaving him and Hakeem off the international list holds no water.
    http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/players/301/index.html

MISC. NOTES
    Member of West German Olympic team (1984). ... Member of German Olympic team (1992).