1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem needs the ball more !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Mar 19, 2000.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok,

I have been one to criticize Hakeem for not playing with fire, but after watching the Raptor game and reviewing the tapes from the last several I noticed Hakeem gets NO touches on offense.

Right now the biggest reason that the Rockets are losing is that the offense is too predictable.

It is ISO Steve, or ISO Cat, and crash the boards.

Teams will not let you do that during crunch time, and by then the rest of the players are so used to standing around that they have no flow to their own offensive game.

If the Rockets would POST Hakeem more he could still be a very productive player, and he may get more motivated to try harder. If not Hakeem then post Kenny Thomas.

I think this is a clear indication that Rudy is not trying REAL hard to win this year. He knows the facts, and wants to reload through FAgency and start fresh next year. I am sure his philosophy is to let the young guys learn while they lose.

Here are what I think are the keys to improvement in the off season.

Kenny Thomas needs to play with energy, and learn how to dribble off of an offensive rebound...GO coast to coast like Barkley used to.

Francis needs to learn to play defense and to get others the ball more often and earlier in the offense.

Cuttino needs to learn how to protect the ball better, and make smarter decisions on the court, defense would be nice too.

Cato needs to work on his post game and defensive positioning.

Shandon Anderson is perfect...in fact if he had the ball more often the Rockets would be winning. All the Rockets players could use a lesson on how to play from SA.

The team needs more quality big people, and hopefully they can attract some GOOD FAgents this summer.

DaDakota

PS Anyone that would not trade Mobley and Drew for McGrady is HIGH !! McGrady can play, and he is GREAT on defense too.

------------------

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Hakeem would probly get more touches if he wouldnt be in such a slump right now. When he has touched the ball lately, it has been nothing short of pathetic. Im sure if Hakeem caught fire, they would feed him like crazy, but he has yet to have such a game.

They should post up SOMEONE. KT, ROgers, Francis, Cato, whoever. The rockets really need someone to develop a post game to vary the offense.

Rudy wouldnt be looking to improve thru FAs. Maybe from the draft and thru trade, but not FAs cuz the Rocks have no money.

keys to improvement -

KT needs to bulk up more, and practice his post game MORE. I dont think he has to emulate Barkley in that respect, he can just quickly outlet the ball to one of talented guards and hustle up the court, looking for the open seams.

Francis needs to work on cutting down his TOs too.

And SA, hes played pretty good, but I believe he could work on his shooting to become a more consistent threat.

------------------
    Not only am I president of the WaltWizFanClub, I'm also the member.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Since I really want the Rockets to lose
    + Hakeem is in a slump

I completely agree with you man! Give him the ball!

------------------
    The truth is out there.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Crisco,

We have a 4.5 million trade exception that will go away if we do not make a trade for a FA. Look for Drew to be gone, along with Walt and maybe Cuttino.

So we will reload, and next year will be fun to watch.

DaDakota

------------------