1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Highlights on the Kansas/Baylor Game Last Night

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jan 21, 2014.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I am in no way to blame for not having had the channel programmed to the Rockets game at the time this occurred. I am pleading innocent to being accused of being a non-Rockets fan. It is a lie and had I been in control, I would not have been watching the Baylor/Kansas game that was playing parallel to the Rockets/Portland game on TNT last night. Due to circumstances that were beyond my control, I was force to watch Kansas/Baylor at a 15 degree angle to the flatscreen from where I was seated in the restaurant.

Now that that is out of the way:

Last night during the Kansas/Baylor game, they were going thru highlights of a player and comparing him move to move with Olajuwon. Like I said, I had a bad angle on the TV, so I could not see who they were comparing him to, but the player had Olajuwon moves. Tons of them. They probably mirrored 5 or 6 different clips of the two players back to back. Olajuwon spins and hits a jumper, kid does the same. Fade away > kid fade away. Shake and pop, then the kid shakes and pops. It was uncanny, but I couldn't pick the guy out of a lineup if I had to.

My question: Did anyone else get forced to watch non-Rocket basketball last night and catch the player that was being compared? Who was it? I'll be keeping my eye out for said player.

Extra note: I did get home in time to watch Portland make that run to cut the lead towards the beginning of the fourth. I also watched Dwight and Harden answer those sons of BENCHES like a couple of champs. Go Rox!

2. don grahamleone

And minimum research and I found my answer. Joel Embiid. So, now the discussion, does he have what it takes to be anything like the great Hakeem Olajuwon?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Irvvb7Y4-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. don grahamleone

I know it's just one game, but I haven't seen that ability in a big man in 15 years. He plays both ways with energy. He has a very natural looking post game. He's my number one pick in the draft the year he comes out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lvx20ZejUyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Watch Embiid be like Olajuwon.

Drafted number one, then the next guy be like Jordan.

o_O

5. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Especially considering how little experience he's actually had (didn't pick up a ball until 16?!?!?). He has natural talent and ball instincts that are amazing to watch. Give him the right coach and this kid could be AMAZING.

And yes, some of his moves are very Olajuwon-esque. Ain't nothing wrong with that. :grin:

6. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

i am impressed.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

8. don grahamleone

I think Akeem picked up basketball at the same age. Maybe 15. They mention it in that documentary called "Dream", I believe.

9. myco

myco Contributing Member

Difficult to judge from the highlights, but he doesn't seem to have the same explosiveness/athleticism that Hakeem had. Still, would be great to see him at the next level and have Hakeem tutor him for a summer.

10. bmd

bmd Member

I really am surprised at how few players can emulate Olajuwon.