1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hack-A-Whoever Strategy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yodels, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I may be in the minority but l like this strategy. If a team doesn't want to be sent to the free throw line then sub in good free throw shooters or have your players practice free throws.

But I would like the NBA institute a new rule. Whoever is hacked has to pass the half court line. This would allow the offensive to at least have a counter strategy and play 4 against 5. I can imagine several counter moves based on this one rule.

I've heard other proposals I don't like:
    1) limiting the number of times the defense can hack
    2) restricting the time in the game they can do it.

But I prefer the idea I propose. Perhaps others can do better.

2. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

It makes for a boring game but I agree that if the player can't shoot a FT then why not do it to get a possession. What's pissing me off, though, is the fact that McHale is leaving Smith on the floor knowing he can't hit a FT. Why not put Jones out there or just go small?

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nah, hack-a-who needs to become a flagrant foul -- it's never going away there will always be crappy FT players -- it ruins a good game.

1 person likes this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The 3rd off-the-ball foul in a quarter should be one FT and the ball out of bounds.

Problem solved.

5. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I like the rule that the intentional foul needs to occur in the front court.

There should also be some penalty for committing more than say... 8 fouls in a quarter with more than 2 minutes left.

6. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I like that idea.

7. Bob Barker 007

This kind of basketball is not what I want to see. It is barely basketball, and it certainly is not entertaining. Make the hack-a strategy one free throw and the ball.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bad sportsmanship, bad for growing the game, bad for the brand of basketball.

No rationalization required. It's very simple. League should just institute a fix such as a double foul, flagrant, or allowing the fouled team to choose the free throw shooter.

9. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Stop crying. Tell D Morey not to put 4 of the worst ft shooters in history on one team

1 person likes this.
  10. Remon

Remon Member

I'm not watching the game, are they fouling Smith without him having the ball?

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yes. About 10 consecutive possessions.

12. Remon

Remon Member

Yeah, in Europe that's an unsportsmanlike foul, same as flagrant there.

13. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

We should have put dwight in sooner. He's actually been making his free throws

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Here's the problem: some players just aren't good FT shooters.

its easy for us, a 5’8, average-sized people, to tell a 6’11 guy, 7’4 wingspan, hands the size of manilla folders and shoulders the size of a fiat to work on your FTs.

It's akin to sticking a PG in the post and saying, stop this Center.

NBA needs to fix this loophole. Its that simple. It ruins the product.

1 person likes this.
  15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

once a team reaches double bonus (10 fouls in a quarter)...automatically go to FT plus ball out of bounds. That has to be one way they can do it

16. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Not strong enough.

17. what

what Member

I asked my uncle, why didn't they take Josh Smith out? He said they put josh smith in to replace Dorsey, they kept fouling him. lol

18. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

No excuse for ever going 12-26 from the foul line when Smith is a career 60% free throw shooter.

This whole rotation of big men cannot hit a damn foul shot to save their lives. We can survive with one or two bad free throw shooters but having all of our big men struggle at the line will doom us when we face coached willing to do anything to win (aka all the elite coaches).

This must be addressed in the off season. We can't be wasting possessions on missed free throws, excessive turnovers and having a mediocre three point shooting team miss 65% of threes. Then we compound this by wasting even more possession trying to post up Howard instead of running PnR.

This team has the one of the smartest GM in basketball who preaches efficient basketball and one of the smartest and most efficient players in Harden, but this team just plays dumb and inefficient.

19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Although the timing is poor, separate the idea from this game and see that it is not good basketball. It is legit right now, so we can't cry about it. But why not get rid of it in the future? No reason - that's why.

20. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

First I've heard of that. I like the front court idea. I also like the idea of punishing the fouling team by making the damn free throw.