1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Haberstroh Podcast] Morey: "Slam me. I deserve to be slammed."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Some of the players that would benefit the Rockets are already available, and the cost really isn't likely to be outrageous for some of them.

saleem likes this.
  2. Wylo

Wylo Member

SO even Morey himself admits that he f'ed up, but apologists here are still claiming everything he does is fine and dandy?

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

I kinda agree, but eh, Jazz are pretty desperate.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

one big indicator for me is the obscene number of unforced turnovers on CP3's part. this from a guy who almost never made such mistakes throughout his career. i know from personal experience that when you lose a step, and especially when you have leg problems (such as pushing off) is when you suddenly become unable to finish passes/plays like before

bulkatron likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Who knows. Michael Jordan isn't always predictable. They have a number of pieces that could help the Rockets but they may hold onto all of them in an effort to make the playoffs.

6. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Don't want another ancient player. Just as likely to get injured himself. Pass.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Generally, the more teams that think "they have a shot at the playoffs" the less teams are to be sellers. So it feels like this isn't a good buyers market right now in December. @Nook mentioned there are parts out there. But who knows the cost.

I am sure the Rockets could get a rotation player for a 1st. But I doubt Morey is quick to move that asset. And I wouldn't trade a 1st for an expiring contract. Needs to have 2yrs on the deal with team control

Sucks the Rockets have pressure on them now to make moves with the current market.

Corrosion and KlutchQT like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, I believe they will want to retain them all if they are in the playoff race. However, I think Kemba might be moved if there is no chance of giving him the max next year. The Hornets have made a big mistake by not having him as a RFA. This doesn't have anything to do with Houston, since it is most unlikely that they can acquire him.

9. Granville

Granville Member

Watching Fertitta's body language on TV lately, I'd say that he's not gonna want to stand pat.

BaselineFade, hakeem94 and BigShasta like this.
  10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Absolutely - this is a huge concern for me. Maybe this is the cliff.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Only thing he didnt **** up is trading for harden

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was exaggerating a little bit, but his true shooting percentage is lower than any other year of his career, and his turnover rate is the highest of his career. He's playing like a 20-25 million a year player right now and I'm not even accounting for all the games he misses.

#52 rockbox, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  13. Fish36floor

Fish36floor Member

Fix it!

BigShasta likes this.
  14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

What are some names if you don't mind sharing?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haberstroh is trying to get Morey off balance, trying to talk more about his musical and hobbies.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

In listening to the podcast, Morey sounded pretty surprised at how far the Rockets fell in defensive rebound percentage. Close to last. And said not having Nene was an issue. He called Nene their best rebounder. Morey seemed to re-enforce how important rebounding was. And not allowing 2nd chance points to teams.

Also, said last year defensively they did switching 50% of the time. And felt that is why they could work in Melo. But this year, they are switching almost 100% of the time and Melo didn't work in role.

BigMaloe, Easy, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the rebounding is a huge issue, but nene is done and trying to hitch our title hopes to that guy is just pure lunacy. and i wonder what our pace numbers are vs last year, when we seemed to take a lot more shots in the first 10sec of clock. seems like this year our guards are mostly walking it up the court and then trying to get the switch on the perimeter. what we're doing on both ends of the court seems to be a carryover from what worked for us the last few games against GS in the WCF. but that doesn't necessarily work over an 82 game marathon against 28 other differently constructed rosters.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. BigBum

BigBum Member

GM may ask the coaches to develop the benches like GS.

19. Nook

Nook Member

Nene is very important to the team, and we lost a couple games early because he wasn't available. The concern I have is that I don't think it is very likely that he stays healthy.

The Rockets won 65 games last year and would have won 70 with better health. The Rockets equation was fairly simple last year, they sucked out every possible extra point and possession. So the Rockets were able to counter act the ups and down from the 3 point line, when in 2016 they couldn't.

Last year the Rockets beat teams consistently at the line. The Rockets took and made their free throws.

Last year the Rockets shoot extremely well on 2 point attempts because they were all dunks and drives.

Last year the Rockets won the battle when it came to steals.

Last year the Rockets won the battle on turnovers.

The Rockets held their own at rebounding the ball (so it wasn't a negative).

The Rockets did not shoot 3's well percentage wise, but it didn't matter much because the Rockets were getting lots of free points and possessions. Very hard to beat a team that goes to the line a whole lot, wins the TO battle, gets steals and hits a high % inside.... that is what changed between 2016-2017.

Most of the Rockets issues on this front can be fixed through savvy trades for good role players. Some of the issue is that the league is mimicking what the Rockets tried, and some of the issue is that it is really hard for a team to comeback with as much vigor after being so tight last year.

If the Rockets address their depth issues well, and stay relatively healthy, I think fans will be surprised at the improvement.

Deuce, BigMaloe and joshuaao like this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Morey may not say it, but he knows Nene isn't a long term solution.... he was willing to deal him earlier this year.

Deuce, Richie_Rich and pippendagimp like this.