1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gurriel caught being racist to Yu Darvish

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRealist137, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

You sure are Nostradamus bro

Sooty likes this.
  2. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Jeez let it go already people. He got suspended and he apologized

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Not enough, prison is the more reasonable punishment. Or banned from baseball for life

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I wonder how many of these prominent Asian Americans are Dodger fans?

I'm half, and I wasn't bothered by it at all. My Chinese mother just rolled her eyes when she heard about it. Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I am tired of other people feeling offended on my behalf... it's offensive. Yes, it was bad, but he showed repentance and the punishment is just. It would have been far worse if he went on full denial mode or skirted responsibility.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't let inmates run the prison.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

For the people complaining that the complaining is excessive:
    This has been a non factor from the get go. Yu wasnt that offended and most Asians werent that offended. Imagine if Yu was a black guy and Yuli did something racially offensive? We wouldnt be hearing the end of it, along with all the wannabe SJWs coming out of the woodwork. Asian people just arent that easily offended or can at least brush off the fact that it was stupid and insensitive and know that there wasnt anything legitimately worth getting mad about.

raining threes and YOLO like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

OK.

Ken Rosenthal is worthless.

If anyone lets that come in between business, so be it. We all know Houston doesn't like Asians.

11. donkeypunch

Rosenthal just reports. He does a damn good job of that.

Now, if you said, Keith Law is worthless and a piece of ****.

I would whole-heartedly agree.

tellitlikeitis likes this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I miss Jayson Stark

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There isn't a history of abuse between Asians and Cuban people. Cuban people (as far as I know) didn't enslave Asians and make them work in Cuba as slave labor. Then they didn't prop up groups like the KKK that committed hate crimes against Asian people, and then didn't actively try to prevent Asian people from voting, owning property, or segregate them from schools. White people committed centuries of atrocities against black people. It's easier for Asians to move past it when their bloodline and their heritage didn't get destroyed by Cubans.

CometsWin likes this.
  14. donkeypunch

Im not gonna continue this further, as this is not a proper forum for it, but......
    https://www.thoughtco.com/short-history-of-the-chinese-in-cuba-688162

And, if you come to the conclusion that they were 'paid workers' and it doesnt equate, then I guess the Irish people were considered equal in America too, since they were also 'paid'. Same with the Chinese that built the railroads and so on and so on........

15. AirPower

AirPower Member

Does not fit the narrative, will surely be dismissed.

rockpileindisma likes this.
  16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Something that isn't a big deal, can still be offensive. Yeah, it ticked off a lot of myself and a lot of my friends, only difference is we just wanted an acknowledgement and apology. Some wanted a beginning of next season suspension.

What we don't appreciate are non Asians deciding what we should or shouldn't get offended by, either getting called Asian Uncle Tom's for not getting offended enough, or sensitive SJWs for getting too offended. Far worse than what Yuli did, and way more annoying.

CometsWin likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Suspending him during the WS would've punished Asian Astros fans too.

I think it was the best possible compromise given the circumstances. I hope these complainers don't take it into the next season. Real poor form.

It's not like Yu kicked a homeless bum. What kind of animal would do such a thing...

18. Buck Turgidson

As a white person, am I allowed to complain about you guys still complaining about this 3 weeks after the fact?

And by "you guys", I mean everyone.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

As glad as I am that we won the World Series I have to disagree. As a league, I think you either have tolerance for this stuff or you don't. Putting off his suspension really sends the wrong message and while he apologized and showed remorse, he knew full well what he was doing was insulting. If they'd given him a game suspension in the Series and a $25k fine I think it would sit better with people. As a Latino I was appalled to see all these people bending over backwards to excuse it as a cultural thing and then the whole give him a standing ovation nonsense. The whole thing was very ugly but could have been much worse if not for the class of Yu Darvish and Brian Roberts. It always seems encumbent on those targeted by classless acts to show class in the face of them. That gets really old.

20. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Why is this even still a topic of conversation?

Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to b**** about.