1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gurriel caught being racist to Yu Darvish

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheRealist137, Oct 27, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Remember when Shaq was caught being racist to East Asian folks and all the players kneeled. Yea neither do I.

bobrek likes this.
  2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

lol.

Cold Hard and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

gurriel after hitting the HR on Kershaw

[​IMG]

Clutch, Rox225, #TheBeard and 8 others like this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

He was caught being stupid. The term racist is overused, misused, and wearing out. Sick of it. Racists are the new Boogyman. He is supposed to be everywhere, but he is actually hard to find. If "everybody" is a racist, then "nobody" is a racist.

Rox225, BigShasta and ipaman like this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

For the most part, but sometimes things do get in their heads. When it happens it is a real struggle. It is why sometimes guys do benefit from a change of scenery or different roles.

DudeWah likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if Gurriel is a racist or not. I don't think anyone can really know that. My guess is from what I've heard is that Gurriel isn't a racist. But the gesture he made was racist. There is no doubt about that. So he deserves the suspension. I believe he is sorry and has learned from his actions.

I don't think it's right to call him a racist, but it is 100% correct to call that gesture racist.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Green was suspended because he accumulated too many technical fouls, not because of an individual action. It's an established rule in the NBA. In this case, it was an individual action and did not have a precedent. I thought it was the right call to only punish him and not the entire team.

swyyyguy likes this.
  8. right1

right1 Member

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Nicely written:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...6288544af98_story.html?utm_term=.89c1fb49fb08

Rox225 and msn like this.
  10. toycannon

toycannon Member

Part 2...tonight!!! I felt ashamed as an Astros fan after his racist act.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't feel ashamed as an Astros fan. Hinch talked to him about it and to the press when asked about it. He didn't sugarcoat the incident and it's not like the team as a whole or even more members of the team were doing things like this or rallying around defending what Yuli did. Hinch and the Astros approached this right they recognized that Yuli did something wrong and are accepting the punishment with him.

If they did like some are calling for saying that Yuli did nothing wrong and that he should do the same thing again when facing Maeda or another Asian pitcher then I would have a problem with it. They didn't and I'm proud of how the Astros are handling this.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

bumping this thread is just dumb. it has nothing to do with the actual game of baseball. the players addressed it. its over with. mistakes were made. move on

marks0223 likes this.
  13. toycannon

toycannon Member

Is Brown people the the Asian Indians?

14. Dave12

Dave12 Member

Just as I predicted Darvish gets the start in deciding game pitches a gem, gurriel goes 0-4. Ultimately Darvish gets payback for racial slur tonight

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Wasn't hard to predict a game seven and Darvish was the obvious choice to pitch it for a while...

16. Dave12

Dave12 Member

Works out perfectly for LA. I expect Darvish to pitch much much better than his last game.

17. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Wouldn't be hard to

Rox225 likes this.
  18. StevieCrossover

the eye slant is like elementary. yeah some asian peeps have chinky eyes. dont have to point it out. its like telling white or black people their skin is black or white.

but to be honest, it appears race between blacks and whites only big in america.

19. StevieCrossover

Left out all the other race in America race war

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member