1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guess what? The series isn't over.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseBlade, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am upset about the two losses as well. They were rotten games by the Rockets. But that is no reason to act like we are already out. It is even. Just it like it was when the series started.

It was even then and we won 2 in a row. We don't have to win even one game in Utah to advance. It would've been great, but it wasn't necessary.

All we have to do is play like we are capable of playing, and win 2 out of the next three.

Seeing people talking about Tracy not getting out of the first round again, is so utterly premature, that I lose respect for folks as fans. You guys though T-mac was quitting on the team? Look at the fans already declaring it is over.

Come on Rocket Fans get a little fortitude.

2. kkuu

kkuu Member

I am with you now, but after Game 5 ,I don't know.

3. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I agree. There is no need to panic.

BUT (and I'm a "half-glass-full" type of fan in general) the last two losses were brutal and is the reason I think a lot of people are freaking out.

It's one thing to lose both, it was going to be hard as hell to win there, but the way they lost doesn't help exude confidence.

I mean, they never even showed up in either game up there and now Utah is breaming with confidence.

Game 3 was the turning point. The Jazz were on the ropes and, despite how bad the Rockets played, that game was theirs for the taking. All they had to do was put together one good half 4th quarter of basketball and they virtually would have had this series won.

And, to not even come out with any fight in the second half of Game 4 is scary.

I'm trying to be very optimistic still about this series, but they are making it hard.

4. aaronnguyen

aaronnguyen Member

The series is not over because both team protect their home court. Now it our turn to protect the home court and we will be fine.

5. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Agree 100%.

And here's a development that seems to be lost amidst the doom and gloom: Golden State.

I would argue that we're actually in better shape than 4 games ago. The team shouldn't be looking ahead to the next round, but there's no reason we fans can't.

With Golden State up 3-1 on the Mavs, suddenly the Rockets would be a favorite in Round 2. Yeah, yeah, I know that the Warriors have given us fits this year, but I'd still rather face them than the Mavs.

This might sound absurd, but I'm more optomistic about our title chances now than I was 2 weeks ago. If we can squeeze past the Jazz--and yes, I realize this still needs to happen--the Games 3 and 4 losses will be forgotten, and suddenly we'll have home-court advantage in the second round of the playoffs.

(Yes. I'm aware that the Dallas series isn't over. But things might just be bouncing in our favor, kinda like what happened in the first round to a certain team in 1993-1994...)

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well we do have the best two players. After that it seems like they have the next best 8 players. Ok. Battier, Hayes and Motumbo have their moments on defense.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The last two losses were brutal, and I am upset about them. I felt sick to my stomach after game 4. But I don't think it is good to give in to that. We don't want our team to bail on the next two games, and we shouldn't bail on our team.

#7 FranchiseBlade, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well we do have the best two players. Their top 2 players are all stars. After that, it seems like they have the next best 8 players. Ok. Battier, Hayes and Motumbo have their moments on defense. Their coach is better.

They say the super stars determine playoff series. Let's sure hope so.We are sure putting that theory to the test.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The Rockets play some really poor ball in Utah. Utah has a great home record so maybe it shouldn't have been a big surprise.

The Rockets have played terrible in all 4 games really, first 2 wins they just kept their composure and played through it to the win.

Tracy and Yao will set the tone tonite and our bench will follow our lead, rockets will defend home court and make up for those 2 losses in Utah by winning the series in Utah, Roxs in 6

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's not over, but those two shameful displays made tonight a must-win game. Pretty pathetic and upsetting on their part. Make no mistake, they handed the Jazz the swagger they'll walk in with tonight. Plain truth of the matter.

The pressure is squarely on us.
    I'll be there, I'll be yelling, but they have got to bring their A game for more than just a quarter for the first time in this series.

Evan

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I can live with a 2-2 series tie after 4 games. What I can't live with is pisspoor execution in both games in Utah, mediocre offensive output for all 4 games in the series thus far, and what looked to me like the entire team(save for Yao who at least looked pissed and motivated) quitting in the 2nd half of Game 4.

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

With the way the warriors are disposing of the mavs, I'm not so sure. Who is going to guard baron davis and keep him from slashing to the hole......he never misses and if he does, he goes to the line..if you seal the paint with our big(s), he can hit from the outside. Have you seen Jackson and Richardson......omg......those players are ballers.

Do you think JVG is compiling footage of the Warriors right now? I hope so. :mad:

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yup...i have no reason to believe if our own guys dont believe

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

I'm with you too. It's not OVER! The series is tied 2-2. Look at Dallas <lol>
    Hopefully we'll get this Game 5. I really belive in Rockets and T-Mac. I stil remember the game with Suns

15. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I'm with you. Keep the faith.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

really? it did look like it was over by watching how the rox played

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The Rockets didn't look good in the last two games, and they weren't great in the first two. But they are still the same team that brought it when we played the Suns near the end of the year.

Also why give up and think of the playoffs as over before they are. If the Rockets lose the next two games, then there will be plenty of time for being bummed out that we didn't advance past round 1.

It is senseless to be worried about it before it happens.

18. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

I am with you. There are many factors that were not in our favor in Salt Lake City. That's why this homecourt advantage is super important. We have to hold homecourt. C'mon, feed off the crowd and show up, team!

That said, JVG needs a better matchup strategy as well. No matter how much determination by Rafer, he can't guard Deron. I'd do this differently if I were JVG (not that I know more, but his old strategy hasn't worked):

- Put Battier on Deron - this should put the stop to penetration
    - Alston or Head can stay with AK stick 47
    - TMac stays with their 2 (Fish or whoever), which should be easy
    - Put Chuck Hayes on Harpring when he is in
    - Chuck on Memo when Harpring is out
    - Juwan on Memo (yeah, even Juwan is fast enough to cover Memo, who is a bit slow)
    - Yao on Boozer as before, with surprise double-team so he can't establish a rhythm

Thought?

19. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwUwzV-JYjQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xwUwzV-JYjQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

FB, look at Will's post above your thread. He nailed a large part of our problem. Obviously, the lack of production from the bench is number one. I still think we take the series in 7, but things need to change, starting with McGrady. We can't change the bench we have now.