1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Grizzlies "vigorously shopping Francis"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RunNGun99, Aug 19, 1999.

1. RunNGun99

RunNGun99 New Member

This from NBA Talk:

According to the Sun-Sentinel, Steve Francis to the Heat Rumors Continue to Swirl. The Vancouver Grizzlies, fearful their decision to draft Steve Francis will backfire, are aggressively pursuing trades and have talked with the Heat. Personnel executives from several NBA teams confirmed the Grizzlies have aggressively approached the Heat about Francis, the second overall pick in the June NBA Draft. Francis, one of two top-10 draft picks who remain unsigned, apparently still does not want to play for Vancouver. The Grizzlies are afraid if they sign the University of Maryland guard, he will be miserable and unproductive in Vancouver. Those close to the Heat, however, say the Grizzlies are more interested in a deal than the Heat is. Jeff Fried, Francis'agent, said he is not aware of the Heat pursuing a trade for Francis. Miami coach Pat Riley insists he won't trade P.J. Brown, but rumors persist that the Heat might deal Brown to Vancouver for Francis.

According to the Canadian Press, the Grizzlies refused to comment on the recent trade speculation. "We aren't going to comment on anything that people may suggest we are or are not going to do," said Steve Bellringer, president of Orca Bay Sports and Entertainment, which owns the Grizzlies. "Even if there's something happening or not happening I'd give you the same answer. You can think whatever you want to think." Neither Grizzlies GM Stu Jackson nor Jeff Fried, Francis's agent, immediately returned telephone calls. Of the six top picks from this year's draft, the 22-year-old from Silver Springs, Md., is the only one who remains unsigned. Earlier this week a Grizzlies official said contract talks with Francis were going smoothly and only some tax details remained to be finalized. But CTV Sportsnet, without citing sources, said the Grizzlies had given up on signing Francis and were trying to trade him, perhaps to the Miami Heat. Speculation about Francis's future heightened when VTV, the local television station that broadcasts Grizzlies games, was asked by Orca Bay not to use the former University of Maryland guard in their advertising. More on this story as it develops.
    ******************************************************************************************
    Seems to me he could be a great pickup for the Rocks. Thats som serius backcourt help right there. But who on the Rockets would even the Grizzlies want? Help me out here.

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I remember that Rudy was interested in Francis earlier.

I was reading on the <a href="http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/teams/grizzlies/">Sporting News Grizzlies team report</a> that Vanouver's biggest need is power forward. They mention their first choice is PJ Brown, and I understand that they are pursuing him first with Miami, but that Riley doesn't want to let go of Brown. But one of the other's they are interested in is Loy Vought.

I don't know if the rumor was accurate or not, but back on August 4th, it was reported in this forum that the Rockets turned down a trade of both Matts for Loy Vought. It stated we didn't want him because of his back and salary.

What a great use of the Matt's, if we could do a three-way and end up with Francis, even if we had to throw something else in.

3. outlaw

outlaw Member

I don't see anything wrong with Big Country.
    He had a down year last season but so did Vin Baker. Anthony Falsone can get him back in shape. He was good in 97-98 averaging 16 points and 8 rebounds. That season he scored 24 against the Lakers on 2 occasions.

4. popeye

popeye Member

I don't have as much objection to taking Reeves and his $9+ million dollar/year contract for the next four years,and agree Hakeem would be invaluable to him .... but what you are saying is Pippen for Francis and Reeves,means you feel Rice, Horry and a Whatever(Knight?,maybe) = Francis and Reeves. That's where the plan falls apart.

Why not trade Pippen to LA for Rice,Horry and Whatever(Knight,Rooks,etc..) ..... then trade Vancover Horry and Knight with Maloney or price for Francis, or who ever the h**l they want outside our untouchables.

We get Francis without Reeves and his contract,keep Rice for a year,and possibly unload some flotsum that has been floating near the surface for years.

Vancover wants a veteran (but not an overly expensive one)PG to back up Bibby.They want a compliment Forward for S.A-Rahim.They want an effective center/power froward. Maloney and/or Price along with Horry,Knight,. and/or Bullard for Franci would be a done deal if I pulled the strings.

The key keeps coming back to Pippen to LA to open up bargaining room.I want to trust this Pimp,but I just can't.Trade his butt! And go on!

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Hell No, i dont want that ******, overpaid, no skilled.......

Roberts
    Thomas
    Reeves
    Miller
    Carr

that right there is just disgusting.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Popeye,

Horry makes $5M and Francis' salary slot is in the $2M range. No way that deal works under the cap.

7. Stefan

Stefan New Member

I don't think Vancouver would trade Reeves without getting a C back. They don't have any. Also, I don't think they would trade Francis for Horry.

Seriously, do you want Francis? If you do who would you trade for him?
    For me, I would trade Mobley and Othella.

8. popeye

popeye Member

aelliott

I guess I got caught up in the discussion. But I still say trading Pippen to Vancover is taking nothing for nothing.Pippen will still end up in LA when Vancover takes the Rice,Horry whatever deal.

While we end up with Reeves and a nine million dollar price tag every year until 2004,and Francis who will be a project this year at least.AND we still have our Matts and Price and etc.... languishing in benchwood land.

Trade his butt to LA. Do it now.Do not pass go.Watch your step.Thanks for coming.Now don't let the door hit you on the way out.

9. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Sherlock,
    The only players of value that the Grizzlies would want from us are:
    1) Othella
    2) Mobley
    3) Dickerson

Why would they want our scraps in Maloney or Bullard. Why would any team for that matter want them???

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

if we can get shandon at the 3, how about sending Pippen to Vancouver for Francis?

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If we sent Pippen to Vancouver, we'd have to take on Big Country's contract for it to work out under the salary cap. No thanks! I'll take an old overpaid Pippen over a young overpaid ******.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I'm gonna say something that's gonna sound so stupid, I keep having to check myself to see if it's me talking. I'd trade Pippen for Francis and Reeves--there I said it.

If at all possible, Pippen needs to go--and although I personally, would love to live in or around Vancouver, I can't think of too many NBA players that would. I like the punishment factor of sending Pippen there. Also, if he pouts all season, he may not be worth anything next year--and we might never be able to get out from underneath his contract. Of course, Francis might turn out to be a dud, but I'd take that risk to get younger. As for Big Country, he's a friggin hick (God love him)--he'd be ecstatic to come to Houston, and a happy worker is a hard worker. Hakeem would be an incredible mentor for him and could help him reach his potential (you can't teach size). I cringe at the thought of having Bryant Reeves as the center of the future here in Houston, but who else is on the horizon?

Also, if the Griz really want to get out from 'Country's contract, they might accept some of our scrubs in the deal--although I don't know enough about salaries to know who else we might get from them. Anyway, be gentle with me--I'm bitter towards Pippen, and I want him gone, and I want to get younger. I don't mind falling from the elite, 'cuz I don't see a championship in the next few years anyway. I'm ready to rebuild.

BigggReddd likes this.
  13. Oh my goodness...Mental image...To the poster who said Hakeem could tutor Reeves game. Picture Reeves on the left block, ball faking to the lane, spinning in a series of dreamshakes and nailing a fadeaway baseline J. Now thats hilarious.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Francis would be a huge asset. However, I doubt Chuck would be in to the idea because he wants to win a championship, not rebuild a decaying team. For the good of our future, I would love Francis, but I don't think that saleries would work.

15. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

Vancouver should keep Francis and Trade Bibby.

16. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

I think a guy like Francis would be beneficial to the Rockets, but not while they're still trying to go for another championship. For now, we need a role point guard who can run the floor and dish out assists, like Bibby (although he is not on the trading block). We don't need any more scorers. If the Rockets want to rebuild, Francis would be excellent. It gives us a flashy young player who can score and keep the fans interested. Sure, guys like Bibby and Othella are solid players, but they're no fun to watch. Cuttino and Dickerson maybe. The best are those players like MJ or Garnett who know how to win and have the flair.

17. Pippen33

Pippen33 Guest

I hope ur not comparing Mj to Garnett

Ohh by the way Mj could win but Garnett cant

Voice of Aus likes this.
  18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Here's one 3 way trade scenario:

Trade both Matts to Detroit for Loy Vaught and trade them the future draft pick they owe us for the future draft pick Vancouver owes them. (It was reported in this forum August 4 that we turned down that trade)

Then trade Loy Vaught, Othella, Carr (maybe Mobley), and Vancouver's future pick for Francis and whoever they need to throw in (then trade them away) to make salaries work.

I don't know if Detroit would want to help us make the Francis trade work, though, since they want him themselves. We might have to throw in Price or Mack for their need of a Dumar replacement.

19. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

No way I'm comparing Garnett to MJ. I'm just saying that Garnett is a flashy player who also knows how to carry a team and come up strong in clutch situations. Vince Carter too. Although they have yet to take their teams to a championship, at least they had the ability to take a terrible teams and turn them around. Other guys like Michael Finley have the talent and ability but remain on perennial losers.

20. FG147

FG147 New Member

WHAT I WOULD DO IS I WOULD TRADE MILLER,MALONEY AND MOBELEY TO VANCOUVER FOR FRANCIS.

BUT NEVER TRADE FOR A ****** WHITE GUY. THAT WOULD BREAK THE HOUSTON FLOOR MILLER,TRAILOR,AND BIG COUNTRY TOO MUCH WEIGHT.