1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies trade Speights, Selby, pick to Cavs for Jon Leuer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 22, 2013.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Grizzlies got bent over. I didn't know they were that desperate that they'd give up a lotto pick.

I also don't think it means that they won't trade Gay or Randolph. But, they don't have the same urgency now, so they can be choosier about offers. In that regard, maybe this deal isn't quite so bad for them -- they'd have gotten pennies on the dollar in a much bigger deal for Gay if they didn't take it on the nose in this smaller deal. I think we wait for the other shoe to drop and then consider the two trades together to see if it was worth it.

And finally, I noted that they used the same sort of collar option that Morey used in the Lowry trade. Was Morey the first to do it, and is this only the second time? This is an innovation I think we'll see more of in the future.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

This does give them a little bit more money to sign some new free agents this off season. Reddick will probably cost the MLE, so they can sign 1-2 more free agents to fill out the roster

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Why didn't we go after him?

Moreyyyyyyyy:mad:

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Where's those Memphis fans at, I'd like to hear their opinions.

Also, Delonte fits in like a damn glove in Memphis.

5. Nook

Nook Member

No one really wants Gay....

6. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

so we could have gotten speights, selby, picks for Leuer
    Atta boy Maori

7. bucket

bucket Member

It's a salary dump. We don't want those salaries.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Because we don't want Speights' $4.5M salary for the yr 2013-14 on our books. Morey is willing to eat a contract, but only one that more or less expires this season (example: Richard Hamilton).

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Speights will opt out, but agreed that it wasn't a risk worth taking.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is Speights any better than our PFs?

11. Carl Herrera

My guess is that he won't opt out unless he gets enough minutes in CLE to elevate his stock. For his current performance level, he isn't getting $4.5M next season as a free agent.

12. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

If he doesn't get playing time, he opts out so he can go somewhere else and play.
    If he gets playing time, he opts out, because he will be getting a pay raise.

But sure, if he gets more playing time with reduced production and/or gets injured you'll be stuck with an expiring contract.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Of course we could've done all those!

1. Waive 2 players (Aldrich/ White ?)

2. Trade Greg Smith for the 3 players (I'm sure Greg Smith can play spot minutes at the PF/C position).

Having said that, I'm not sure it's worth giving up $4m in off season cap space for a pick that might never pan out.

14. Carl Herrera

If he doesn't get playing time, he opts in and demands a trade or a buyout. This is how it is done in the NBA. Get with the program, man!

15. Carl Herrera

This is a salary dump. Don't think they really care about who they get back. Jon is not necessary to Leuer Memphis into making the trade.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you think he'll get playing time?

They're only 1 win better than worst record in the league. I'd think Speights is an improvement over Thompson or Zeller. If they don't play him, they can increase their draft standings and then bring him into the lineup for next season. If they do play him they may well make themselves a mid-lotto team!

Drama drama... :eek:

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

C'mon man.

Houston was offered Eric Bledsoe straight up for Jon Leuer, but we turned them down. Everyone wants the big guy.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

The value of picks really decreases as they increase in the time it takes to receive them. The Cavs may have hit a home run, but we won't know for a few years. They usually suck at drafting, unless it's a no-brainer.

I think Morey would have done this deal considering we can still sign a player close to he max in the off-season. I'm not sure if we could still offer the full max to a player. The Grizz probably preferred to deal with an EC team. I think it shows that Morey isn't working the line as much now that he has a star player and that he is pretty content with the young roster. I doubt there will be any big trades in February.

This move benefits the Rockets slightly. It makes the Grizz weaker both now and in the future plus the Cavs have less money to spend now.

19. Carl Herrera

Who doesn't want to take a bite at the Leuer?

20. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Exactly. Just wouldn't have been worth it at that point. Aldrich also might be useful as a salary filler at the trade deadline and if the Rockets felt like giving up on White, they probably would have waived him by now.

Greg Smith has more value than Leuer, based on age, contract and production. Don't think the Rockets are viewing him as a throw-in.

Largely, yes. But Hollinger mentioned that before he took the Grizzlies job that he thought the Grizzlies needed (to keep) a half-decent 4th big to not run Gasol and Randolph in the ground or in case one of Gasol, Randolph & Arthur gets injured.

Also:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Leuer isn't just a throw-in. Griz like him and have some hope he can come close to replicating Speights' value at a quarter of the cost.</p>&mdash; Chris Herrington (@FlyerGrizBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/FlyerGrizBlog/status/293739642489024514">Januar 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Grizzlies front office all like Jon Leuer and think he is a player.Will explain deal from Grizz side on show today.</p>&mdash; Chris Vernon (@ChrisVernonShow) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChrisVernonShow/status/293742419504160770">Januar 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>