1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greta Van Fleet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by the shark, Dec 5, 2017.

1. the shark

the shark Member

A client of mine up in Detroit turned me on to these kids about three yrs ago. Seems the word is starting to spread. This kid sounds exactly like Robert Plant. The singer, lead guitarist & bass player are brothers.

da_juice, Joshfast, AirBud#10 and 2 others like this.
  2. the shark

the shark Member

3. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Wow, he really does!

I feel like rock is quietly starting to make a comeback after being dormant for several years in the US.

da_juice likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought this was going to be a thread on a Fox news anchor.

BigM, Harrisment, Nook and 5 others like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Looks like the twins are 21 now, but those vids might be 20yrs old?
    Here's Robert Plant at age 20...I love these vids.

#5 heypartner, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Torn n Frayed likes this.
  6. the shark

the shark Member

Now that's FUNNY!!!!

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

PG-13 forum?

8. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

When I first heard them I wrote them off as a Zeppelin rip-off, but I eventually gave them a chance and I've been listening to them on repeat ever since (personal favorite is Talk on the Streets). These guys are extremely talented and I'm excited to see what they'll do next.

9. Buck Turgidson

Hard to take a man with a rat-tail seriously.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Me too

Rocket River

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Must have missed this thread. I basically caught wind of this band because I heard "Highway Tune" somewhere and thought I was listening to an unreleased "old new" Led Zeppelin song. I didn't really figure out what it was I was listening to until I was watching a recent 2018 Robert Plant interview and he brought this band up. I searched on the band further and I like their dynamic. There are some videos out there showing them performing Led Zeppelin songs and I dig their musicianship. Robert saying they sound like Zep from Led Zeppelin 1. Overall, I think he was throwing them props...albeit he said their singer says he takes after Aerosmith's singer and Robert did an eye roll (because he sounds so much like him). But, this band could be primed to explode in the future if they play their cards right. They seem to be doing something a lot of other bands aren't really doing...trying to expand on a lot of those rock themes coming from the blues, folks, soul, etc. from the 70s while expanding on, and reinventing, them (taken from an interview they did). I'm definitely curious enough to dive deeper into their music. While some people may compare them to a second coming of Led Zeppelin, how can that be a bad thing? We've got a young, new singer piping vocals like a younger Robert Plant and a guitarist that is a pretty good compliment to Jimmy Page's style. The drummer and bassist seemed to have decent chops as well. I guess the question is can they work their way out from under the shadows of the Led Zeppelin and transcend? Do they have a promising young career or are they a flash in the pan getting attention for nostalgia reasons of the love of a missed band they sound like?

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Really? I don’t feel like that at all.

In fact it seems like rock music in the USA is more dead than ever. I do like what I hear from this band. It honestly gives me hope. And I hope more like them pop up.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Well nobody buys music anymore or goes to concerts unless it’s a handful of bands, so they’ve got that going for them.

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Literally just posted about these guys in the music thread. These guys are dope and I cannot wait to see what they have in store next.

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

got to see them this past weekend at Coachella & they killed it

mikol13 likes this.
  16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I was wondering how they did there. did they draw a decent crowd?

17. omgTHEpotential

Sounds like a good impression of Led Zeppelin.

18. ths balla

ths balla Member

they were on one of the smaller stages but had a decent sized crowd...I really applaud the way they were able to handle the audio problems, you weren't able to hear the guitar the first 2 songs but they kept jamming like there was no problem, then when they did finally get it to work the guitarist went on a 5-10 min riff that was badass

19. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Just coming around to this band. Seeing mixed opinions on in this thread and the music thread. Thoughts on their 2021 album?

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Good music is good music, however, I would think you want your own sound. But then again, Led Zepplin stole their songs too. So it's just a circle. But if it's good it's good. I don't care.

Xerobull likes this.