1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Smith/Marcus Camby roster speculation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Mar 13, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Does anybody know if Camby is making regular visits to the practice court and shooting a ton of jumpers?

Is Camby the guy or are we looking for somebody else?

If we are looking for somebody else who are we looking at?

--------------

This has got to happen at some point. We must be waiting for April 15th so we can sign someone to the Room MLE (or minimum salary) and it cost us as little as possible.

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

There really isn't minutes for him. He would be in the same situation as Brooks was.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You best bet Camby's jump shot would look mighty fine next to Dwight

4. basketballholic

It's not about that. It's about having a 15th man on the roster that could possibly help us in the playoffs/finals if somebody goes down. He'd be a 3rd center. If one of Dwight/Asik goes down we would need him in a fine hurry.

5. BonziWellsGOAT

If he even sniffs playoff basketball he will literally break in half. So no dont want him.

6. basketballholic

Name some alternatives then.

Jamison?
    Diogu?
    Others?

7. BonziWellsGOAT

Lou Amundson

8. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I think Camby is done. Old and injured.

9. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Camby will give the true meaning to "on all fours" when all his limbs detaches on the court. Not a pretty sight I tell you!

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The roster date for playing in the playoffs is well past. Camby is NOT joining the Rockets this season.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well the whole Greg Smith situation I find interesting.

The Rockets can almost certainly keep Greg Smith next year if they want to submit a qualifying offer to him after the playoffs this year for essentially a one year contract at 1.14 million dollars and consider him insurance at the backup 4/5 next year when/If he gets healthy. I would have to think that he would take the offer now to secure another year in the NBA.

If they waive Greg now to sign a veteran, maybe by the start of the season or before, Greg Smith signs with another team, and they lose him for essentially nothing. Not a huge loss I know, but something to at least consider if the Rockets feel like he's shown them more potential in practice and games in the past and they want him next year.

So I guess it all depends on how high the Rockets are on Smith going into next year, if they've seen enough of him to be willing to part with him, or if really, really think someone like Camby can help them in the playoffs this year.

Me personally I'd probably go ahead and waive him and take my chances at finding another prospect who might be able to blossom in the future to be a little more what the Rockets need anyways. If that type of prospect isnt out there in the D-League or elsewhere, than Camby serves a purpose as a heady veteran insurance big for the playoffs.... Insurance being the key word. In case of major injury.... he's not going to play anyways, and even then, D-Mo played somewhat well earlier in the year at the center position so he might be better equip anyways to be your 3rd string insurance.

Still... in the end.... I think Greg Smith's time in Houston is overwith. Knee injuries suck.

12. dobro1229

I was under the impression this is only if the player that was formerly with another team after December 15th or some time around then. If that's the case than none of these guys like Jason Collins would be able to play in the playoffs id think since they are just now being signed on new contracts.

13. basketballholic

Not true

14. basketballholic

Don't think we sign a prospect for Smith's spot. I think we sign a grizzled vet, somebody who has proven they can play....like Camby. It might even be an older Euro player who has played in their Final Fours. But I think it will be an older player with plenty of professional experience.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You are correct. Apologies for the inaccuracy.

16. dobro1229

I dont think so either, but I also am not aware and high on anyone really out there that suits the Rockets needs better, but again... the Rockets found Beverley under a rock in Russia though so who knows?

As for Smith, I think there are questions to ask about his longevity with Houston and if they want to keep him past this year on the cheap. That might impact what they want to do with him (keep longer or move on), or what decision they make as to whether they go with a vet like Camby or a prospect they think can help more.

If its a grizzled vet though that is the best bet available, I would personally go with Camby. There is also Lou Amundson, Roddy B, Gary Forbes, and Kwame Brown available too so I wouldn't say Camby by a long shot, but he seems to make the most sense if he's in game shape.

17. basketballholic

I can't see another team picking Smith up with him being injured. He's looking at a minimum salary deal anyways. Can't see any team giving him more than a minimum deal for next season.

Of all those guys you listed....Camby makes the most sense to me.

What I'm curious about...does anybody know of any other vet bigs out there (Europe, etc.) that can play some D and shoot the long ball?

18. basketballholic

I was checking out Caleb Green recently over there. I think his season is done. He's short, not a 5...but he seems to be very crafty on the pick and pops at the 3-point line with enough size to also finish inside and get to the FT line. Not athletic by any means. But wouldn't expect him to be with the 15th spot.

Jamison is still out there as well.

Others?

19. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

ivan johnson

20. basketballholic

Yeah...thought about him a little bit. He fits the vet description part even though he's only got a couple seasons under his belt. Solid, gritty type player that can finish.