1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green Room Invites: Yes for Klay, Not (yet) for Bismack + Jimmer

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

from Chad Ford's twitter account... interesting since NBA typically does a good job nowadays to make sure those invited to the Green Room are assured to be off the board pretty quickly (to avoid the Rashard Lewis being the last one left for a long them and end up crying on TV scenario). Klay Thompson is on the list along with "usual suspects." Jimmer and Bismack are not on the list so far, but could be added later. Could be interesting if one or both of these guys fall to 14th...
    As a reference, the following are the 2010 Green Room invitees:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=6056

15 players, everyone got drafted in the top 16 picks. The only top 16 pick not invited to the Green Room was #15 Larry Sanders.

here's the only thing I found about 2009:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-June-22nd-3276/

Again, pretty accurate... all top 10 were invited and were #12, #13, #16 and #17, T. Will (#11), Earl Clark (#14) and Austin Daye (#15) were snubbed on this non-final list... I don't recall if they ended up with an invite eventually.

#1 Carl Herrera, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

Kind of shocking Jimmer wasn't invited initially. I'm sure he will though. After all these workouts where his stock went up, going in the lottery or not, he should be there.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

While i am sure that Jimmer doesn't get past Utah at #12 and Thompson doesn't get past Golden State at #11 (LOCK IT IN!), I have a very strong feeling Bismack Biyombo will be there at #14. The question is, can he play center. I just took a look at Ben Wallace and he's 6'9" with shoes. This is a guy who averaged 13 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 1.5 steals over several years. Probably one of the best big defenders in NBA history. Biyombo is actually supposed to be more athletic, more explosive, and a better rebounder and shot blocker than Wallace was at his age. Granted, Biyombo is probably more raw than Wallace was, and certainly not as good of an all-around defender, but he's so young and has so much potential. Morey has a history of looking beyond traditional measureables. He seems to value wing-span over height; which Biyombo has in spades. Although i think there will be better options at #14 at the small forward position, there are also some great options at SF at #23 (Honeycutt and Bertans come to mind).

Given that a shot-blocking, rebounding, defensive big who terrorizes teams is our biggest need, and given that there won't be anyone like that at #23, the more i think about Biyombo, the more I think Houston should pull the trigger.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

www.twitter.com/chadfordinsider

Invites to NBA Green Room: Kyrie Irving, Derrick Williams, Enes Kanter, Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Jonas Valanciunas, Jan Vesely more

More Invites to NBA Green Room: Kawhi Leonard, Chris Singleton, Klay Thompson, Tristan Thompson, Jimmer Fredette, Marcus Morris

Also ... Alec Burks invited to Green Room. That's 14 players ... that's what NBA thinks the lottery will be.

You can also bet that Markieff Morris will be in the Green Room ... if nothing else, sitting with his brother Marcus. That's 15 players.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks hsf09. Chad Ford said Jimmer got his invite yesterday as a late addition.

So... notable "snub" = Biyombo.

6. CXbby

CXbby Member

I am keeping my eye on Klay Thompson, Tristan Thompson, Alec Burks and Chris Singleton. Hopefully all of them goes before 14, which would mean someone really solid is going to slide to us. I would be happy with Montiejunas or Biyombo, and ecstatic with Marcus Morris.