1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green Bay QBs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by giddyup, Jan 9, 2005.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

In the last decade or so, the Packers have had these guys on their roster. All have gone on to become perrenial starting QBs in the NFL. What explains that... Ron Wolf?

Brett Favre (why does he throw so many intercepts in big games?)
    Mark Brunell
    Kurt Warner
    Matt Hasselbeck
    Aaron Brooks

Am I missing any?

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Because he tries to force passes that his arm and body can't make anymore.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

maybe they learn something from watching one of the best players to ever play the game.

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I understand what you are saying but Favre was from Atlanta

But yes GB is excellent at scouting QBs

5. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

But (obviously) Favre is on the GB lineup, which is the connection being discussed here... Regardless where any of these QB's are originally from, it's the GB connection.

That's a very interesting point... It's never been brought up in any conversations about football I've ever had... Well, you learn something new every day!

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

I said I understood the connection.

7. giddyup

Man Sherman was all over that. His primary comment after the loss was how un-intelligent they had played in losing. I didn't see much of the game but he had to be referencing Favre's decision-making primarily.

Seems like Favre has done this in the playoffs before.

Calling RM95, local Packer expert.

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I love Favre, but they need to draft a QB for the future...He can still play, but you have to have a back up plan...right?

9. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

What about Arnie Herber?

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Cecil Isbell was better than Arnie, at least I thought so.

11. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Majikowski

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Favre has had some serious Simmsesque meldowns in big playoff games the last few years.

14. Manny Ramirez

Scott Hunter or Lynn Dickey??

Who would you pick or do you even care?:D

15. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Backup quarterback behind Brett Favre = best job ever

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Man, that game against the Raiders, after his old man passed (R.I.P.), MOST of the passes could have been INTs or dropped, but he's got BAD-ASS receivers in Driver and Franks and that other dude whose name I don't know.

Did you see that game? I had the fortune of seeing it completely, and I swear, ordinary receivers would have dropped those... I may even say that the Marvin Harrisons or Brandon Stockley or even Andre Johnsons of the league would have dropped them... anyone disagree?

17. gwayneco

Lynn Dickey! Wasn't he from Houston?

18. gwayneco

:confused: Nah, Arnie's the one in the Hall of Fame.
    [​IMG]
    see: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=95

Although the National Football League didn’t keep official statistics until 1932, Arnie Herber’s third season, there is ample evidence to support the popular contention that Herber was the league’s premier passer. That year, the Green Bay Packer quarterback won the league passing title, something he would do again in 1934 and 1936.

Arnie threw a touchdown pass to give the Packers a 7-0 victory in the first game of his rookie 1930 season. The Packers won NFL titles in both 1930 and 1931 and remained in a perpetual contending position throughout Herber's 11-year tenure. His passes were always a dominating factor but he could also run, catch passes, and punt with the very best.

The arrival of end Don Hutson in 1935 gave pro football its first lethal quarterback-receiver tandem. In Hutson’s second game in the NFL, against the Chicago Bears, he teamed with Herber for an 83-yard touchdown reception. In 1935, the Herber-to-Hutson duo connected 18 times for 420 yards and seven touchdowns. Although an injury in 1937 reduced his effectiveness some, the Herber-to-Hutson mystic continued until Herber retired in 1940.

With many players serving in the military during World War II, the New York Giants brought Herber out of retirement for two more years in 1944 and 1945. He then retired for good with the reputation of being pro football’s great long-distance passer.

Herber was a basketball and football star at Green Bay's West High School who sold game programs as a teenager so that he could see the Packers play. He eventually migrated to tiny Regis College in Denver, but he soon was back in Green Bay, where he worked as a handyman in the Packers’ clubhouse when coach Curly Lambeau decided to give the inexperienced player a tryout. For $75 a game, the Packers inherited the first pro quarterback who consistently used the forward pass with game-winning effectiveness.

19. giddyup

From the Oilers via Kansas State, Round Three pick in 1971 or 1972.

20. Manny Ramirez

gwayneco,

I was really just messing around with you, but there really existed a guy named Cecil Isbell and he was a QB for the Packers. He might have been Herber's successor. He did lead the league in passing at least once maybe twice in the 1940's.