1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest Olympic Moments (summer or winter)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Plowman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Any moment with Phelps/Bolt is historic. There was this one gymnast named Kerri Strug who after injuring her ankle? went on to win gold.. was a sick moment.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Louganis final platform dive in 88.

Not kidding.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Vince Carter dunk over French 7 footer

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Katarina Witt's 1988 gold.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/57R7aAY5QiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I honestly think a big reason US Women's Gymnastics is so dominant now, is because a bunch of girls saw this moment, and it inspired them to be gymnasts.

Heck, Aly Raisman outright said the "Magnificent Seven" is what got her into the sport.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Bwa5Bf656As" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RunninRaven likes this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Best moment I saw live. The girl before her fell and Strug was already hurt. She basically limped out there stuck the landing and then crumpled in pain.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The Karolyis have a basecamp to stage the best US gymnast. It's as much of a Gymnast industrial complex as what any other nation may have. And prior to 2000/2004, the Romanians were the most dominant team. Now it is the US.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Franz Klammer

1 person likes this.
  10. Plowman

Supporting Member

Great call, heyp -THAT was an amazing run....and at home....under enormous pressure...had to come up with the goods. I remember watching this at 10 years old...

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream: That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering across the edge of a straight razor ...and surviving." :cool:

Seriously, I've been skiing since I was 4 ......and I'll tell you, brother....

As you probably know....There's the spiritual side...But that can change on a dime into the adrenaline junkie thing..where you push it to the edge of the envelope and leave it there..pulling it pull back, when you want.. coursing with endorphins afterwards....But here was Klammer over the edge of control...repeatedly pulling it back in. He let it all hang out.

Just awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYj9kIxAL_o

#10 Plowman, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Derrick redmon finishing a race with a torn hamstring still makes me emotional... IMO that's the beauty of the games. Forget the wins its the showcases of sportsmanship and determination that get me.

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jesse Owens winning Gold in Berlin.
    [​IMG]
    With Hitler looking to the Olympics as a celebration of Naziism and the superiority of the Aryan race Jesse Owens winning was far far more than just an individual triumph or even a national triumph.

What makes it even more poignant is the friendship between the silver medalist German Luz Long, and Jesse Owens who showed how much sports can forge links between people so different and even people from countries at war. As Luz Long wrote to Owens before he died fighting for Nazi regime in 1943 "Someday find my son ... tell him about how things can be between men on this Earth."

13. Plowman

Supporting Member

Such a powerful image/accomplishment, judoka...sends chills up my spine.

#13 Plowman, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Hard to imagine someone topping Jesse Owens at the 1936 Olympics!
    I'll instead take my post in another direction...:eek:

[​IMG]

:grin:

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm biased as an American, but Jesse Owens in Berlin and The Miracle on Ice. Both transcend sports.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

This year's Olympics were probably my favorite. So many record breaking moments and good competition.

Lily King beating Effimova was pretty cool.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

For this year, its clearly the mystery man that we may never get to acknowledge fully. With his exceptional devotion to his craft, the affinity to put on a good display for the people watching, the skill he exudes in the quality of his work.
    Thank you cameraman 1.
    <iframe src='//gifs.com/embed/2016-olympics-camera-work-J6gQAg' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='414px' height='240px' style='-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);'' ></iframe>

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I still get chills every time I watch this. A truly magic moment.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tVMJKIx34SE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most people on the forum weren't born in 1976.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Rulon Gardner over Alexander Karelin in Sydney.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F9yiCuX1hV8?start=660" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. VBG

VBG Member

I wonder how many of these moments transcend countries. Like how everyone cares about Usain Bolt.

First thing I could think of. First perfect 10 in Gymnastics. Nadia Comaneci.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_5xbd5xdE

People outside of the US don't care about the miracle of Ice at all.

I think the Phelps photo finish victory in 2008 is up there too.