1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GREATEST MOMENTS in VERNON MAXWELL History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 25, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What was the best superhero momment?

[​IMG]

Dec. 9, 1993
    With the Rockets trailing the Miami Heat 101-98 with 3.3 seconds remaining in regulation, Vernon Maxwell takes the inbounds pass, turns and hits a 30-foot heave at the buzzer to send the game to overtime, where the Rockets eventually pull out a 115-109 win to run their record to 18-1. “There was no skill involved at all," Maxwell says. “It was pure luck. But like Kenny (Smith) said afterward, if anybody can make that kind of shot, it’s me. Luck counts."

Jan. 13, 1995
    Mad Max does it again. Vernon Maxwell, who has made a history of nailing improbable, game-winning, buzzer-beating shots, swishes a 28-foot three-pointer with 0.4 seconds remaining to give the Rockets a 103-100 win over the San Antonio Spurs. With the game tied and 3.4 seconds on the clock, Maxwell catches the inbounds pass near midcourt, takes a couple of dribbles and launches the game-winner, sending an exuberant Compaq Center crowd into a celebratory frenzy.

Dec. 29, 1994
    Trailing the Golden State Warriors 124-123 with three seconds remaining, the Rockets need a miracle. Their prayers are answered by Vernon Maxwell. The Rockets guard is the beneficiary of a botched play when he finds his hands on the ball with the seconds winding down. Falling out of bounds, Maxwell turns and throws in an improbable three-pointer at the buzzer, leading to a wild Compaq Center celebration.“It lucked up being in my hands," Maxwell says. “I thought it (the shot) would be short, but it went in."

May 13, 1994
    Down by 12 points at halftime in Game 3 of the 1994 Western Conference Semifinals, Vernon Maxwell turned the Rockets into road warriors. After losing the first two games of the series to the Suns at home, Maxwell made sure Houston wouldn't go down 0-3 in Phoenix by scoring 31 second-half points to lead the Rockets to a 118-102 win. "We are back," Rockets Head Coach Rudy Tomjanovich said. "Phoenix still has home-court advantage, but the pressure is on them now. And it's a lot different playing when you're under pressure."

Jan. 26, 1991

Rockets sharpshooter Vernon Maxwell comes out blazing and burns the Cleveland Cavaliers for a career-best 51 points, including a franchise-record 30 points in the fourth quarter. The Rockets slip by the Cavs, 103-97, as Mad Max joins Moses Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon, Calvin Murphy, and Elvin Hayes as the only Rockets to reach the 50-point mark. “I’ve been around a long time, but that was one of the most impressive one-man shows I’ve ever seen," says Rockets coach Don Chaney.

June 22, 1994
    Olajuwon again came up big in Game 7, as did guard Vernon Maxwell, who had his best game of the series with 21 points. The game was close throughout. The Rockets held a narrow lead most of the way, and the outcome was not decided until Olajuwon nailed a 6-foot hook and Maxwell canned a three-pointer with 1:48 left, giving the Rockets an 83-75 lead and putting the game and the champagne on ice.

#1 tinman, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

I think YOU ARE Vernon Maxwell!

3. tinman

Supporting Member

Thanks for the compliment! :D

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

A big part of the reason for me to become a Rockets fan is because of Clyde joining the Rockets. I knew this pissed Maxwell off since it led to the Otis trade, but I have to confess Maxwell is da clutch.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

That's easy. Game 3 in the 1994 semifinals against the Suns. The Rockets looked like they were gonna get swept after the first quarter. Then they narrowed the deficit at halftime(I believe they cut it down to 8). Then Maxwell went absolutely nutz in the 2nd half. He started driving to the hoop to get himself going and before you know it, every shot he threw up was falling. One of the ballsiest performances I've ever seen.

That was also the game where Danny Ainge had a flashback to his baseball career and threw the infamous "pass" at Mario Elie's grill at the end of the 4th quarter. Mario had the last laugh though a year later.

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I voted for:

Feb. 6, 1995: Vernon Maxwell entered the stands and punched a fan who heckled him during a game at Portland. He was suspended 10 games without pay and fined $20,000. He later settled out of court with the fan.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's just so hard to pick one:

1987: Due to NCAA violations, all the points he scored last two seasons in college were eliminated from the record books.

1994: He was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon.

1994: He swung a free weight at the head of his teammate Carl Herrera, who required 30 stiches.

1995: He took two weeks off from the season for "personal problems", only to admit later that he merely wanted an in-season vacation. The incident was hyped as Maxwell being disgruntled at the team's recent acquisition of Hall-Of-Fame guard Clyde Drexler.

1995: In a game at Portland, he ran into the stands to punch a fan, later claiming the fan had heckled him over his wife's miscarriage.

1997: Ordered to pay $592,000 for knowingly infecting a woman with herpes. The plaintiff was awarded a default judgement as Maxwell did not appear in court.

1999: In Florida, he was arrested for failing to pay $160,000 in child support.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

wow, to choose only one..

I go with PHX, just cause without that heroic performance, there IS no comeback from 2-0, there is no CLUTCH CITY, there is no first championship (hence it beats the NYK performance), and who knows if we ever get the 2nd without the 1st?

I'd put the Finals game 2nd...the Miami heave 4th just cause I loved it extending the streak and the Miami announcer's call: "an impossible, implausible, incredible 3 point play, by Vernon Maxwell!" To hear an opponent's team's announcer go nuts was great.

3rd place I'd like to nominate one you don't have on there! Vs. the Spurs in '93-'94, Elie misses the 3 to tie, Otis tips it out to Maxwell for the 3 to tie with 20ish seconds left? Spurs miss, we call a timeout with about 3...Maxwell puts it on the floor, hits a fade from 18 as the clock expires for the victory! Everyone goes insane

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Phx. He may have been personally responsible for saving those play - offs. (Remember him having Dream's back at the end of Game 7 when Barckley was being...a non-role model?)

10. tinman

Supporting Member

He was just doing a Reggie Bush or a Chris Webber.
    Anyone who drop 30 points in the 4th IS A WEAPON.
    Maxwell was in tremendous shape. Throwing free weights in a game of catch was a new innovative form of training.
    Ate at Clyde's BBQ Joint. Got sick for 2 weeks.
    At least he clocked the right guy.. unlike Ron Artest! plus no melee happened because no one else wanted to get their butt kicked.
    At least she didnt mess with Magic Johnson.
    Example of why not to marry a gold digger.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I voted the PHX game...but....

Dec. 29, 1994
    Trailing the Golden State Warriors 124-123 with three seconds remaining, the Rockets need a miracle. Their prayers are answered by Vernon Maxwell. The Rockets guard is the beneficiary of a botched play when he finds his hands on the ball with the seconds winding down. Falling out of bounds, Maxwell turns and throws in an improbable three-pointer at the buzzer, leading to a wild Compaq Center celebration.“It lucked up being in my hands," Maxwell says. “I thought it (the shot) would be short, but it went in."

I was there at this game...and it was absolutely ridiculous. The inbounds pass was supposed to lead to an alley-oop (did i spell that right??). But Horry threw the ball too hard and it bounced off the backboard and started bouncing out of bounds. Max tracked it down, picked it up, jumped back towards out of bounds and threw it up...and it went in. Seriously, it was just ridiculous. And probably my favorite regular season game I ever attended.

12. pettinati

pettinati Contributing Member

Running into the stands to beat a guy that was talking sh*t about his stillborn daughter. Seriously.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Tinman, you crack me up. I love MadMax as much as the next guy but lets not whitewash over his less than perfect history of misconduct.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i assume your doing this over the recent past because you like max, your probably a little bored, and mostly just for a good laugh.

but i think your kind of weird

15. ansarisu

ansarisu Contributing Member

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I was at that game, too! I had a nosebleed seat but I'd moved down to like the 3rd row, almost courtside, after halftime. So I had a great look at the play when it went down. That GS team was running and gunning all game with guys like Spree and Hardaway. I think Timmy had just hit a big shot before we called timeout to get the inbounds at halfcourt... And then Max's shot was the coolest thing I've ever seen in person at a sporting event. Inbounds off the backboard, to Max on the far side of the court, the turnaround and the quick heave for the win! Just an awesome play, from a guy with a history of them.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's right..hardaway hit a great shot on the series before...and when max picked up the ball his back was actually to the basket...he was already running out of bounds when he jumped in the air and turned around mid-air to heave it up there. the place went nuts!!! :D

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

This was my first Rockets game. He didn't hit the shot at the buzzer there were 1.3 seconds left. Hardaway tried from half court to win it, and it bounced off the rim.

19. LFE171

LFE171 Member

dude, when he drilled that final nail in the coffin to seal the knicks fate in game 7. i think that was even the phrase they used after he hit that key 3.

the look on john starks face was awesome.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What happened to going into the stands to punch a fan?

Or bailing out on your teamates during the playoffs?

Where are those options?

:D

DD