1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Great Time to be a Comic Book Nerd] WB and DC ramps up their movie schedule

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by steddinotayto, Oct 15, 2014.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

WB ANNOUNCES DC FILM SLATE THROUGH 2020; MOMOA IS AQUAMAN, MILLER IS FLASH

I want Suicide Squad to be great especially with the "4 A-List stars" in discussion

2. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Man they get ahead of themselves. All it takes is for one of the movies to bomb for people to lose confidence. Hopefully they are good though.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

With the possible exception of Green Lantern in 2020, all of those are Redbox movies for me.

4. SexyButIgnorant

LOL, Green Lantern of all those movies is the Cinematic experience for you!? Over a David Ayer directed film?! Over two Justice League movies!? Even over Wonder Woman!?

But I'll say this, I'm disappointed they didn't keep Gustin from the Flash series. And I'm disappointed Ben Affleck isn't directing one of these films.

I'm kinda disappointed, but I'll end up watching most of these for the love of the characters. Truth be told, Batman v Superman will be a deciding force if this universe is a success or not. If it's a good film, my hopes and expectations will be high for the rest. If it sucks, I won't expect anything from the other films.

5. torocan

torocan Member

Sounds like a decent plan, unfortunately my faith in DC when it comes to movie making isn't exactly rock solid.

Hopefully they can find a good balance between drama, humor and entertainment instead of the all too often crutch of realism and darkness that they've too often tried in Man of Steel and the Batman trilogy.

While I did enjoy the Dark Knight trilogy as a standalone, to make characters that are enjoyable in a larger universal continuity they'll need to create compelling character arcs, hopefully without completely butchering the canon like they have in previous outings.

It says something when the best stuff I've seen out of the DC media factory when it comes to movies is for the most part is the animated movies with the solitary exception of the Dark Knight trilogy. Sure, they've made some decent TV series, but when it comes to movies they've managed to completely drop the ball on multiple occasions.

One can only hope that they manage to come at least remotely close to the level of character range and entertainment value that we've seen across the Marvel movie Universe.

On the other hand, it's DC... :(

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Batman V Superman will make money . .. no doubt
    however. . it has to be a MEGAHIT!
    I mean . . .Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier type of hits

Rocket River

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

I don't see Ezra Miller as the Flash at all. Black hair, asian eyes, short... Not at all how I saw the Flash.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind one bit if they continued to make animated films and scrapped the big budget movie plans. The animated films they're churning out have been great especially the Flash Paradox.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I didn't see End of Watch but unfortunately I did see Street Kings, which was painfully bad. But I will definitely say it's possible for Ayer to do a good job and for me to change my mind once that film comes out.

I would love a Wonder Woman film, but I have no reason to believe Gal Gadot can carry a film. Indeed I am very doubtful.

I'm a fan of John Stewart's Green Lantern. So if that's the way they went I would be interested.

But for the record... I was pretty damn sure that Guardians of the Galaxy would be a massive failure as a film, so what the hell do I know?

I agree on that. But Zack Snyder is probably my least favorite well-known director so I'm not hopeful.

10. SexyButIgnorant

You make good points. I haven't seen Street Kings but loved End of Watch and Fury looks awesome. I agree about Gadot, I just hope they hire other women that can carry the film. But even then, it would suck that Wonder Woman couldn't carry her own film.

11. torocan

torocan Member

I suspect the main reason the animated films have been so good is that they're smaller projects, so they don't have the Execs at WB hovering over their every move.

There's no faster way to wreck a comic book movie than to let accountants, marketing execs and studio execs who aren't comic book fans be in charge.

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Is this the fappening everyone kept talking about?

Because all of this is great! I think I may be more excited for Suicide Squad than JL.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Captain America 3 quietly stealing Superman/Batman's thunder. First they announce the same opening date and DC blinks first, reschedules (like a b****).

Superman vs Batman - a battle... a few months in the making...

Iron vs Captain America - a battle developed over the course of nearly a decade...

Hopefully these emo DC movies don't give superhero movies a bad name and ruin it for everyone.

DC was cooler when it was making A+ movies like Dark Knight instead of trying to cash in on the money grab.

14. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

If the live action Suicide Squad is anywhere near as good as the animated movie then I'm in.

15. SexyButIgnorant

Marvel fanboy confirmed.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

anybody else get the most hyped over Aquaman?

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

:confused:

By emo do you mean darker and more serious movies? Because that's what the Dark Knight Trilogy was.

18. torocan

torocan Member

When I think emo DC movies, I think Man of Steel where Caville is screaming every 5 minutes or so. Lift a girder? Scream. Fly? Father dies? Scream. Dream sequence? Scream. Get in a fight? Scream. Rescue someone? Scream. Kills Zod? Scream.

In case you forgot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVMKLGVOZrY

Ya, enough of that, thank you very much... :rolleyes:

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dark Knight is my favorite comic book movie.

I mean overly dark for no reason to the point where it's nauseating. Snyder's strict "no laughing" mandate makes things feel forced.

20. SexyButIgnorant

You disliked 50 seconds of a 2 and half hour movie??

I mean, I get the whole "darker and serious" DC complaint, but I don't think screaming plays a part in that. People scream. That doesn't make them emo lol