1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Rudy T Interview (3-1-2011)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yodels, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't want to start a new thread but Rudy T on yesterday.

Welcome in Rudy, how are you?

Guys, it's good to be with you.

It's great to have you here. Obviously we want to talk Rockets with you but also the NBA playoffs as well. Lakers win last night, a pretty impressive win. This looks like a team on a mission here and maybe a team that can compete here in the WC.

I really believe so. I think we're peaking at the right time. We've had our ups and downs but that is to be expected with a short training camp, and a new coach with a new system but these guys have really pulled together and with Kobe getting hurt at the end of the year, and those guys taking off and really playing good basketball, everything is coming together.

What is it that has changed Andrew Bynum? In spite of being a hot head and doing emotional things, I don't know if there is a better big man in the playoffs right now.

I'll tell ya, I think this guy, he's the next big force in the league. Yeah he's young, I always use to say to my assistant coaches, like with our families, we don't want our kids to have to go through the learning experiences and all the pain and the mistakes and the humiliation but you sorta gotta go through it. He had some incidents this year where he didn't act maturely but I think the guy is really coming along. I think he learned from some of his mistakes. On the court, he is really taking charge out there. Already in this young playoff season, he has tied Hakeem Olajuwon's record for blocking shots in a playoff game. I saw some moves in this last game where he reminded me that he had the power of Shaq, taking the ball and just taking the defender and stuffing him in the basket.

Let's talk about Mike Brown and the job he did this year.

Mike has done a fantastic job. He is a young coach that has a lot of basketball ahead of him. He has coached with some of the best guys in the league. Pop in SA and Carlisle in Indiana. This guys lives and breathes defense. I remember a lot of the things that I used to get excited about were offensive plays. When Mike sees guys do defensive things, he's running up and down the sidelines and jumping. He has really done a great job, especially with the small amount of practice time available. These guys have bought into it. As time goes on, and going into a full TC, I'm looking forward to what this team is going to become. And he's pulled these guys together. I think they're peaking at the right time.

Ron Ron gets a lot of grief. When you take a look at the body of work that Artest compiled this year, to be overlooked in that, he was playing some of the best basketball on both ends of the court that he had been playing. What did Mike Brown get him to do this year to make him a better basketball player?

I'll tell ya, it was kinda sad because he has really done a heck of a job of changing his image and the way he's played, he started out, it was not pretty. He did not have a good beginning of the season. He started on the bench. They were thinking of him being the offensive weapon coming off the bench. It just didn't work then put him in with the starting lineup. He had his ups and downs but what happened is, Mike stuck with him. He got more playing time. What really happened, he lost a lot of weight. He was heavier at the beginning of the season and just couldn't get any lift. He has made plays this year where hes had explosiveness, where he has gone into traffic and just jammed the ball on people. That's what happened on the play, where he had the incident. I jumped out of my seat on that play because it was explosive. In the excitement, he lost his head for a split second and unfortunately it was an ugly incident. I'm sure he's really sorry about that and would love to be out there with the guys.

Take on what Amar'e did?

Emotion...controlling your emotions in the high pressured...it's a big part of the puzzle of getting there. I call it the clouds. When the clouds start coming in and you start losing your vision of the big picture. Sometimes it's just one game, you lose by 30 and sometimes that negative, you can turn it into a positive if you get hungrier, and it gets the other team to maybe lax off and turn a series around but when you let your emotions go like that and hurt yourself, it's a losing proposition.

Do you think they'll have to break he and Carmelo up?

The whole thing about having offensive players, I've had it where we had basically one guy in Hakeem and then we added Clyde and then we added Charles, all primarily offensive players. You can do it. Every play down the court is an individual possession. In different possessions, you just take on different roles. You gotta have at least 2 scorers on a team or you're not gonna win.

Sorry to interrupt, your wife is texting pictures of flowers to Barry.

Is that right?(laughing)

"Rose from the garden were beautiful Barry, we'll seen you soon." What's going on Rudy?

Hey, I better check in to this.

Good thing I got you covered. This is amazing.

Thank you man, thank you.

BW: I'm proud of this. Rudy and I....we are manly gardeners. No gloves.

We got the scars to prove it.

You are no stranger to pain over the course of your lifetime. We all know the negative effects of pain pills and all that. You're coming to town tomorrow and flying in for something very unique that you're involved in. I wanted you to share that because I want to go out there tomorrow and see you.

That'd be great. Thank you Barry. I've been blessed with a great life because of basketball and got celebrity status or whatever. I made a decision that I would only endorse and be involved in things that would really change the world and use that in a positive way. I ran into a young lady named Tammy Taylor who is just phenomenal. She has been helping people deal with pain for over a decade. Her win-loss record is way up in the high 80s. When I heard about what she does, I said I want to be involved with this. Out in Sugarland, it's called the Rudy Tomjanovich multidisciplinary pain management program. We're gonna have our grand opening tomorrow afternoon, late afternoon.

What time and where is it?

. Highway 6, 1111 Highway 6. I'm not sure what time because I'm flying in and going straight over there but late afternoon. What I love about this, its not one way to do it. We've got all these different ways to help people deal with their pain. I'm so excited to be involved with something that will take away misery in people's lives. If any of your listeners are interested, they can go online and go to RudyTmpmp.com and you'll see the website and explain all the wonderful things they do out there.

Say it again, RudyTm...

RudyTmpmp.com

Not to rain on everyone's parade, TMZ reporting Junior Seau has been found dead inside his home.

Oh my God.

Lets talk a little Rockets basketball. When you see this team from afar, obviously so close to making the postseason this year but missing for a 3rd consecutive year. What do you see - spinning its wheels or moving in the right direction.

First of all, let me say this, the Rocket teams in the last several years, including the years not making the playoffs, have played so hard and...I mentioned I haven't had a whole bunch of times that I left an arena and felt like "You know, coaching a bunch of guys like that would be fun." When I think like that, usually I have to lay down and wait for it to pass. I've had that watching the Rockets play over the last couple of years. When you lose a Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady and some of those players and don't get anything in return, it takes awhile to replenish your team. What I've seen is, I scout the young players in the league for the Lakers, the Rockets got a load of young guys, the new crop is in and it will take time. What they did to us out in LA, and we were in the part of the season where we had to win games, that team came out here shorthanded and came in and whooped us. What Dragic did, the job the young small forward Chandler Parsons did.

By the way, was there a better 2nd round pick than Parsons?

I don't think so. This kid, he is a tremendous defensive player but he is very good offensively being a part of a program because he can drive the ball and is a play-maker. He has a really good basketball sense. He's an exciting young player.

They have a lot of parts here but it would seem they still would need to land that one big piece that you can rely on in the clutch. They thought they had a deal for Gasol, the commissioner took that away and they're still searching for that piece. You got to have that piece.

Absolutely. They were right on target with a guy like that. Gasol is such a great player. I was at the game yesterday sitting next to GM Mitch Kupchak, he was just shaking his head at all the different things Gasol does - the great passes to Bynum, pick and rolls, pick and pops, blocking shots, just a multi-talented all-around player. You guys were right on track there.

Rudy, last question, will you tell us the great Wilt story? Brad is dying to know. Brad wants to know.

When I see Brad, I'll tell him.

But don't tell anyone else.

Yeah, I won't tell anyone else.

Always a pleasure. Appreciate it Rudy.

Guys, it was great being with you.

Hey Rudy, chirp chirp chirp.

Alright chirp.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/05/02/bynum-next-big-force-in-the-nba/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcbshouston.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F05%2Frudy-t0502.mp3&podcast_name=Rudy+T&podcast_artist=MaD+Radio&station_id=&audio_link=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It breaks my heart when he refers to the lakers as we and the rockets as you.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Noticed that as well. :eek: But I guess to be expected.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

AWKWARD SEGUE ALERT - CAN YOU SPOT IT?