1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Posnanski article on Tim Duncan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by digitallinh, Jun 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Boring article for a boring NBA player

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yes...... Duncan is the GOAT PF of all time.

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has played center since DR retired.

5. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I agree that Duncan can be a little 'boring' to watch, especially for a casual sports fan. I am not implying that you are a casual sports fan (if for some reason that would offend you.)

For me, someone that enjoys watching basketball to watch defense, spacing, team concepts -- rotations, cleverly designed off ball screens -- like that two Splitter set last night that freed up both Neal and Green for 3s.. The one where Manu sent the pass across the screen, skipping neal -- Here is the gif if you were curious! How do you free up BOTH Neal and Green for 3s on one play! You see how excited I got there!?

[​IMG]

----

But this is why I love watching TD. The article is wonderful insight into what makes the guy tick/motivates him. It's very similar to why I love Kobe Bryant so much, all those stories about how meticulous he is at his craft. It's just very enjoyable to me to see people work extremely hard, and them being rewarded for it.

6. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

completely agree with the above about being someone who enjoys watching basketball to watch defense, spacing, team concepts etc. but on the splitter play referenced above he wasnt responsible for taking out two defenders.

mario chalmers was actually the one guarding green and he committed a cardinal sin by taking his eye off green and just staring at the ball. green then ran from one corner to the other (he moves excellently without the ball) and mario was none the wiser.

splitters second screen did stop battier from being a super helper and getting to green, but he was actually guarding boris diaw on the wing. so he wasnt anticipating having to help on green on the corner because his man was diaw, who is certainly not a threat from long range.

just wanted to point out how mario lost his focus and gave up such an easy three in a crucial moment. too many young guys simply dont know how to play off the ball defense these days. this play was a great example of a lack of discipline and fundamental defense.

FOR SHAME MARIO :p

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Just for everyone info...I think not only did Chalmers sleep on their guy...so did Wade, bc Kawhi dropped to the corner as Green cleared across the lane...Another point is...watch Mario spending time in the paint...and then shuffling out of the paint, and realizing that his man is on the other side of the court...
    1. If i was the Head coach, that player would be on the bench immediately
    2. Why was he even giving Green any cushion...at all...Green hasnt shown the ability to just attack the rim, but Chalmers gave Green so much cushion. There was absolutely no reason why Chalmers was even at the paint area...

8. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

The ESPN article today about Pop and Duncan was a great read.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Nice article; I really wish he played for Houston. I hate the fact that he's on the Spurs and not on some eastern team far away from us, I almost feel guilty liking the guy.