1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great game, AWFUL refs!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 1, 1999.

1. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I heard Peter Colango asking Mike Mathis after the game if he takes checks...

The bad call, was the no call on Mobley. They were clearing holding his jersey and such, and just because there is 3.5 seconds left, you don't call it. That is a crock, if that is the case why do they even play the 3.5 seconds, and just go to overtime. Because all the other team has to do is hog tie the guy with the ball, like they did to Mobley... Two refs clearly saw it, Two refs clearly blew it.......

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Charles just made a huge contribution to the league on the post game show.

3. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Anyway we got screwed by the refs big time.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The Refs did not CLANG freethrow after freethrow. Anderson, Cato, Barkley and even Francis missed crucial freethrows. Do not expect this team to go anywhere if it does not start hitting Freebies.

DaDakota

5. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Shandon hit 4 consequtive free throws in the crunch time of the fourth quarter, he was a big reason the Rockets could forced OT.

6. treeman

treeman Member

DaDakota - exactly. This game shoulda been won before OT...

Dammit, these boyz need to spend more time in the gym at the line. That's been the difference in ALL of their overtime losses. They could've won them all easily, given they could get close to 80% FT shooting - especially down the stretch.

That's the only part of their game I've seen lacking recently. Everything else has been very good, but it only takes one area of deficiency to make the difference between Ws and Ls...

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Up until the 2nd overtime...that was some serious basketball. I thought the refs did a good job. That was clearly a pushoff on Barkley. I am overall proud of the Rockets tonite for a great game, and proud of Rudy for not making bonehead mistakes.

8. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

Well I disagree with anyone that thinks the Barkley call was the right one. I have seen lots more aggressive play than that without calls. That call sucked with 3+ seconds left. Even if it was a good call, if they make that call with 3+ secs left then they should have made the call where Mobley was fouled at the end of the game. They called it at the end of the game for one team but not the other team. That is poor officiating.

However, as I have said already, the refs didn't cause us to lose, we did that ourselves. BUT OVERALL I WAS IMPRESSED BY THE ROCKETS. GO ROCKETS!

9. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Definitely a bad call on Bark. Longley was pushing him back toward the freethrow line and Barkley just got around him. Yea, i saw the hand on Luc's arm but that wasn't a foul, it just looked like he threw him because Longley was headed toward the foul line anyway.

definitely some missed FT's hurt in the end, but they have hurt us all this year. Ref's called it bad for both teams. I guess they got tired of running w/ them, and couldn't keep up.

Very gutsy game to build on, AND, for the pro-Suns offense guys (tcab, et al) you should be pretty happy. With 4-6 more weeks to run their butts off they should look pretty good come Feb.

THAT WAS A GREAT GAME TO WATCH, the most fun I have had watching them this year. You can still tell that they need to "jell" some more, but I saw some great, aggressive plays they made all game.

10. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CAN CONTROL THE OUTCOME OF A GAME ARE THE REFS OTHER THAN GOD!

11. alaskansnowman

the refs didn't cost us the game, but they sure as hell could have helped us win it.

i mean the no call against mobley was crap. if ur gonna call the foul on CB, call that one against the suns when the fouled cuttino

12. treeman

treeman Member

Finaffantasy:

"THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CAN CONTROL THE OUTCOME OF A GAME ARE THE REFS OTHER THAN GOD!"

Bullsh*t. The players have a bit more to do with the outcome than the refs. Maybe our team should pray as a rule before every game?!? Yeah, that oughtta do it...

I still say that our poor FT shooting means the difference between Ws and Ls...

13. Francis3

Francis3 Member

I know what the **** was that?

****EN REFS

14. treeman

treeman Member

My point is that the Rocks - or any other team - can't count on any set of refs for a win or loss.

Had we made our FTs, we might have been up by 8 in the last minute of play, and even if we had Mormon refs and were playing Utah, we'd have won.

There are times - most times - when the refs can't be blamed for a loss. Don't forget that nice technical called tonight in Mobley's favor by those same refs you're attacking. We never would've gotten to OT without that call.

15. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Treeman, have you watched any game in your life? Refs screw teams all the time and that is the truth!

16. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

what do you mean we can't blame refs for losses?! we made mistakes but the things we did was enough to get us a win. Missing FTS, too many TOs, so what?! we would have won if the Refs did their ****ing job!

17. treeman

treeman Member

Finalfantasy: True, but when a team pisses away 8-10 points thru the first three quarters, you can't exactly blame the refs for a loss in the fourth. (or OT)

Tell me, had the Rocks hit their FTs throughout the game, do you think it would've even gone into OT???

HellNo! You know I'm right on this... They need to hit their free shots. Thay've been missing them lately, and pissing away points that would win the game in the fourth - instead of forcing a fifth...

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As a referee, I take offense to anyone in here who thinks that Refs Screw any team.

Referees are human and do make mistakes. They also make calls that are correct that people don't agree with because it hurt their favorite team

The Call on Barkley, though some may say tacky, was the right call. Barkley threw Longley back. Did Luc do a bit of acting? Perhaps, but, blame Barkley for even taking that chance at a crucial time in the game. Do you think Cuttino acted when he was thrown down? I do !! Is anyone complaining about that call?

Come on folks, Referees do the best job they can, do they make mistakes, you bet, but it was not the Refs who cost the Rockets this game it was poor free throw shooting, giving up WAY to many offensive rebounds, and costly turnovers late in the game.

This team may be growing, but by the time they get their act together it may be too late.

DaDakota

PS It looks like I was right about Hakeem's injury turning into a positive for the rest of the team, the Rockets are playing better overall ball...now if we could just hit a freethrow.

[​IMG]

19. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Hell no! You are nowhere near being right treeman, anyone can look at the boxscore and say oh we misses too many FTS, too many TOS blah blah blah. If we lost 99-100 and missed one FT, any one can say well if we made that one FT we would win, big deal.

The truth is the Rockets have done their job tonight to get a win, they are not perfect but were GOOD ENOUGH to win this particualer game, but the refs haven't done their jobs!

20. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Realllly ****ed up calls tonight. I wish i taped the game, I want to see all the dumb calls made out there.