1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great clutch play by Sheed (throwing towel at Sabonis)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by The Cat, Apr 15, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

When the Lakers were on a run in the 3rd today, if you missed it, Arvydas Sabonis tried to stop a Laker fast break and an easy layup like any player should. Rasheed Wallace was in the area but not doing anything, and accidentally caught one of Sabonis' hands to his face. Portland soon afterwards calls a timeout. What does Rasheed do? Certainly not focus on the game plan... instead he decides to hit Sabonis in the face with a towel for being accidentally hit while Arvydas was playing defense. Great leadership Sheed. Goes to further show the tremendous waste of talent, money, and everything else that is the Portland FailBlazers.

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!
    ClutchTown.com

2. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Wallace is a BUM!

------------------

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

LOL! What did Sabonis do?

------------------

4. The Cat

Tacoma,

Actually he just sat there with this expressionless look. I think he got mad though, cause they showed the next trip down the Lakers went on a fast break and he literally whalloped Kobe near the basket... got called for a flagrant because of it. So essentially Rasheed's anger was taken out on Kobe!

------------------
    President of the Mo Taylor, Jason Collier, and draft Richard Jefferson fan club!

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!
    ClutchTown.com

5. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Blazers are going out in the first round. They'll probably get swept. They have absolutely no chemistry.

------------------

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I saw that. What a punk.

------------------
    "It's like saying there isn't enough offense in football, so let's go to three downs." --Rudy T on zone defenses in the NBA

7. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

And Shaq got into Sabonis' face, saying (according to the sideline reporter), "You can do that to your teammate, but not mine." [​IMG]

But I disagree with your account of the Wallace incident, Cat. Wasn't it Shaq going to the hoop and Sabonis flailing his arms to sell a flop? I can see why Wallace would be mad about getting poked in the eye because of his teammate's acting instead of playing defense.

------------------

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Wallace is the anti-clutch.

but he is the best the blazers got.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

9. blocked_ by_ olajuwon!!!

I've been watching Wallace since his Bullets days, and I thought he had potential. I'm still watching him and thinking to myself, "Man he has potential." One of these days, he's going to be 33 and I'll probably still be saying the same thing. I think he's good, but not the type of superstar everyone is supposedly saying he is.

------------------

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I still wish we'd been able to pull off the Wallace for Pippen trade. Of the six players that came in that Portland trade, only one player do we feel is worth keeping, and he can't get any minutes.

<sigh>

------------------

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Sabonis also gave Rasheed that black eye he has now by doing the same thing. Combine that with the fact that Shaq was just butchering Sabonis, and I would have threw a towel at the guy to!

------------------
    See the three, be the three.

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

This is a more accurate description of why this occurred. I am not condoning it, but Sheed was mad at Sabonis for playing "flop" defense instead of trying to stop/foul Shaq. Sometimes you have to get in your teammates "grill" to get them to stop playing weak.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

The towel thing is a bit disrespectful. BTW, does Arvydas speak English well ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

14. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

No matter how badly your teammate plays on the court, throwing towel at your teammate is a disgusting act.

Did Steve ever throw a towel at Cato? [​IMG] If not, Sheed shouldn't have.

------------------
    They couldn't stop him in the early 90s; now they can't stop him in the 21st century
    -- Bill Worell on Phoenix defense on Hakeem

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Cato should be pelted with towels.

------------------
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    We are now... no longer the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.
    KNIGHTS OF NI:
    Ni! Shh!
    HEAD KNIGHT:
    Shh! We are now the Knights Who Say 'Ecky- ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv'.

16. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Dude Wallace is money.....if he could keep his mouth shut, the T's down, and quit his continuous b****ing, he could be one of the best. Only problem (which seems to be epidemic for the Blazers) is that he self-destructs every 5 minutes.

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

17. The Cat

18. wong

wong Member

gr8-1,

He does speak well, and he said "f*** you then" twice to Wallace as they were on the sideline before it escalated. I'm actually kinda glad he threw the towel at Sabonis, that's the second time his flailing antics have hurt Wallace. Also, it's pretty obvious to EVERYONE that flying backwards on any contact from Shaq will NOT get a call, yet he still does it. What kind of idiot doesn't learn from 5 years of experience? Then when you add the fact that when Sabonis goes stumbling out of the key trying to draw a foul, he creates huge lanes for offensive rebounders. I think that's one of the reason's why Wallace was angry. Shaq actually missed a couple of short shots, but since Sabonis cleared out half of his own team by flailing around, the Lakers got easy putbacks.

------------------

19. Iron McFist

Iron McFist Member

I agree, anyone who tries to draw a charge from Shaq is not only dumb, bt crazy. Do any of the players really look at Shaq's FT%? It's obvious that you foul, and take away any look at the basket.

------------------