1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grantland: The curse of the QB middle class (Houston repeatedly mentioned)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

One quote from the article.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/47862/the-curse-of-the-quarterback-middle-class

2. msn

msn Member

psh. how many "fast, athletic" quarterbacks with running a major part of their game remain relevant for more than two years?

Here's hoping RGIII can change the tide; I wish him only the best. But dude is already broken, and he broke in college, too. I'm not holding my breath.

I don't think the pocket QB will *ever* become irrelevant or a thing of the past. Houston's problem wasn't Shaub's legs, it was Shaub's poor decision making when the heat was on. And Kubiak/OC's incredible inability to come up with anything new or different when the opposing D figures you out.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Biggest concern with a POCKET PASSER is the OLine has to be spectacular
    The Defensive line me are getting faster and stronger
    the schemes more complicated.

easier to scheme when you know the target won't move much

Rocket River

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is true. The pattern we're seeing is undeniable.

You either have a QB that is dynamic enough to keep defenses honest (I. E. Not over pursuing in pass rush) or you have a QB that has a sharp enough arm and mind to orchestrate a high tempo spread offense.

QBs like Schaub that aren't mobile, don't use the shotgun formation, and run a very traditional style offense both in terms of scheme and pace, are being phased out of the game.

It is time to adapt or die.

5. Raven

Raven Member

The slogan for the Texans next season, and this applies specifically to the front office, coaching staff, and starting QB should be - One More Chance.

One more.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Kubiak and Smith have several lives left to burn.

Schaub, on the other hand, not so much.

He's going to get one more year as the guaranteed starter to reach the next level, but after that, I think his seat will become warm enough in 2014 that should he struggle or get injured, he'll risk losing his job.

Question is, to whom will he be losing his job?

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Steelers and Giants have won Super Bowls recently playing a very straight forward offense.

Brady has yet to win it all since they went uptempo. His three super bowls were won using a very basic offense.

Not saying spread offenses are bad, but straight forward offenses are still effective if you run them well. We've been hearing for over a decade the running QB is the way of the future, but we have yet to see one come close to winning a super bowl. The 49ers made the NFC championship game last year with Alex Smith.

Our problem isn't the system, or our QB's mobility. It's that our QB isn't very good and we only have one WR that can get separation.

8. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Straight forward? Eh. Maybe so. But those offenses were undeniably less risk averse than Kubiak's. Roffleburger and Eli, specifically in their latest title runs, we're chucking the rock all over the yard.

Then you look at the Colts, Packers, Saints, etc.

And let's not act as if New England's success is invalidated by their Superbowl losses. If you get to enough of them, chances are you're going to win one eventually. For the Patriots, that looks to be this year.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The evolution is near. Expect McNair to hire Coach Sumlin in 2014 after Kubes and Schaub start to fade out of playoff contention.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

And TAPE.
    As Stated . . . Big Ben maybe slow. . . but that guy can move in the pocket.
    The ability to evade the rush and extend plays is what we are talking about
    not the ability to take it to the house on every play
    Eli is not horrible in that department either

Rocket River

11. Summer Song Giver

Schaub's problem is his ceiling at any particular skill needed to be a professional QB is average to slightly above average. His floor in his bad areas also appears to be really low, ability to deal with pressure, scramble in or outside the pocket, run an offense in any pressure situation. I believe this put his total overall ceiling at average at best.

Kubiak is also not cut out to be a head coach.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm not one of the guys looking to push Kubes out.

But this made me feel slightly aroused.

13. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

There will always be a place for mobile quarterbacks. Scramblers back as far as Tarkenton and Staubach. But the quarterback as another running back has yet to be a long-term fixture. They are fragile and undisciplined, especially when you have ten other guys wondering what they will do when it comes time to improvise.
    The faster, more agile offensive linemen are a reality, but a QB's psyche and physical makeup are not wired to take the hits made on a 25-carries/game back. They will have a 2-3 year shelf life because the D-linemen are getting just as fast and agile (one JJ comes to mind).
    While the guy needs to have an arm and decent legs, he still needs size, durability and as VY exhibited, a brain.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Schaub is what he is. He's not going to get any better, and his decline
    could be just around the corner. The Texans need to be proactive in finding his replacement if they don't think Yates is up to the job.

15. foo82

foo82 Member

I'm really hoping Case Keenum pans out. His O-line consistently sucked, but the dude made plays. I think he reads the defense much better than Schaub, and can run it in if he needs to.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Aside from his immobility, those things have more to do with Kubiak than Schaub. Can't knock a QB for the type of offense his coach decides to run.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eh...that's a little overly harsh. Schaub is better and has played better than average. Unfortunately, his best performances were those couple of years when the defense was atrocious. Hopefully those best performances aren't totally behind him.

As for Kubiak. He's shown , at the very least, to be a qualified head coach. The only thing left for him to prove is can he be a championship type of head coach.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Ultimately it still leads back to Kubiak as he handpicked Schaub to be his QB and never wavered afterwards on his decision.

My question about Kubiak is if the unwavering support for Schaub really because he thinks Matt can lead the team to the promise land or if it's just being stubborn and determined to make this work no matter what because it was his decision and he'll sink or swim with it.

#19 v3.0, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

This.