1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Simmons Trade Value Column. Harden #5

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thesonofsam, May 10, 2013.

1. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I found THIS to be interesting on Dwight:

GROUP E: "We'll Call You Back; We're Not Done Arguing Internally About This Yet"

18. Dwight Howard
    Remember when Mike Tyson came out of prison and wasn't the same boxer anymore, even though he looked like the same guy? That's Dwight Howard since 2011's NBA lockout. He's not a force of nature anymore. The Eye Test backs it up, and so do the results: Howard dragged a 219-102 record from four half-decent Magic teams from 2008 to 2011, then went just 75-55 in these past two seasons once his body started breaking down. There's been a not-so-subtle dip in his offensive numbers …

2011: 22.9 PPG, 14.1 RPG, 59% FG, 60% FT, 227 dunks, 26.0 PER (second in NBA)
    2013: 17.1 PPG, 12.4 RPG, 58% FG, 49% FT, 187 dunks, 19.4 PER (38th)

and defensively, Dwight isn't the NBA's most impactful player anymore. You would rather have Marc Gasol or Joakim Noah, both of whom are just better at anchoring a defense. Throw in the undeniable injury risks, the maturity issues, and the words "not even a hint of any leadership whatsoever" and, um, why would I want to give him $118 million again? We'll tackle this in detail before free agency kicks off.

Interesting he has Harden below Curry (who are followed by Durant & James)..wow, Curry the 3rd least tradeable??! (in terms of a player you don't want to give up??)

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Well Curry has been playing like a superstar since all star break.

4. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

yeah. I guess I'm not so much disagreeing with the rankings as amazed at how much he has skyrocketed since the All Star break by his performances in the regular season + playoffs. He is definitely a talented guy..but ranked higher than Harden and westbrook?? Hmmm..its debateable for sure, which says a lot

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not to make this another Howard thread, we have enough, ha, but wow, crazy to see that drop-off in numbers.

17 & 12 still good but just 2 years ago he was 23 & 14. :eek:

6. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Well that's to be expected. Pau is a better rebounder than anyone Dwight has played alongside, and his role on the team took a dip with him turning into the #2 option. If he was here, he would probably average 20 & 13.

7. platypus

platypus Member

I don't agree with curry being top three on this list. I think simmons is doing what he always does overhyping a player because of a spectacular run. I agree that curry is a hell of a player but he still has a long way to go health wise, and consistency wise.

8. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

well the 'so-called' experts seem to think his injury history and dropoff are major red flags. I've heard a lot of people say Dwight relies too much on his athleticism to score/rebound and once thats gone, its all she wrote.

If injury history is a precursor to less athletic ability and opens him up to future injuries, then spending the max on him is definitely without its risks. We'd be paying for the 22/14 dwight, not the 17/12 dwight of the past 2 years--and he probably won't get better with age...

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Even with a 17/12 Dwight, this team will be a contender

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Well he is coming back from an injury and also you had kobe. A healthy dwight howard took his team to the finals against god mode lebron (38-8-8) so you have to give him some props.

11. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Dwight would not simply average 17/12 with us. Harden needs Dwight just as bad as Dwight needs Harden. They have never played with a player like each other.

Btw, I do believe Durant is better than Dwight, so I am not trying to insinuate that he is.

I just believe that would compliment each other so well.

Btw, I do not believe that would literally compliment each other. Unless if Howard to comment about Harden's beard. Then, there would be compliments.

12. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Harden >>>> Curry

13. AFS

AFS Member

My favorite quote in the article.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I love Simmons and Grantland (I have a total man crush on Zach Lowe's brain), but I think Bill is knee jerking a little on Curry.

I'm not sure where I'd put him -- definitely behind Harden, Westbrook and Paul. I think I would put him behind Kyrie as well. I'd have him in the latter part of the top 10 I think -- which is still amazing, don't get me wrong.

15. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

No, Curry is ranked properly. Remember his ranking is of the least tradeable, not the best player.

His contract is a bargain because he's a superstar essentially playing for half price.

16. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Look at his contract. If Harden was playing for half the max the Rockets would be able to do so much with the extra cap space.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Kyrie is my number three. Then its Harden. After that who knows. Maybe even anthony davis is over Curry who is just a 6'2 SG, a few good decisions over a Monta Ellis.

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Curry has outplayed Harden the 2nd half of the season.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Curry's contract is straight out fleecing by Golden state though.

20. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

That's definitely true -- but I wouldn't trade Harden (or Westbrook) for Curry (which is the Simmons barometer). I think the injury risk on Curry is too large of a consideration. Him and Kyrie both -- until they can stay healthy perennially, I don't think they are a safe player to build a team around. Also, even when healthy, the way Curry is playing post all star break is not quite as good as Harden was playing before he hurt his knee.

Also, if you would trade Harden for Curry, I don't think you are crazy. I see the logic, and Curry is awesome, and they are very close in value in my opinion as well. However, I think the way Harden played when completely healthy, the way he played through his injury, his durability, his being about 2 years younger, his size -- all these add up to me to see Harden as better than Curry.

But that actually wasn't my point originally -- I feel less strongly that Harden is better than Curry than I feel that Simmons is knee jerking a bit.