1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grantland-Simmons: Reference to Rockets needing a David West type player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yakitori, May 20, 2014.

1. yakitori

yakitori Contributing Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/simmons-on-the-road-its-all-on-lebron/

Relevant part:

Agree/Disagree? Personally, I think we do need a vocal leader on the team who will make his teammates accountable.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Breaking: Young team is young.

3. yakitori

I don't think that's what Simmon's going for here. Youth is part of it but look at the pacers. They're not an old team. They're in the bottom half of the league in terms of average age/experience. Their main guys are pretty young, around the same as the Rockets. George is 24, Hibbert 27, Hill 28, Stephenson is 23, and Turner is 25.

Edit - Turns out I was looking at the wrong year. Pacers are actually the 10th oldest team. I'll stick to saying that their rotation players are pretty young though.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am not sure that rookie Sam Cassell was yelling at guys to get their ****ing heads into the game because we ****ing needed them. He might have been, though, now that I think about it.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he had whoda understood him?

6. VBG

VBG Member

I like Simmons but this is such bull****.

Dwight carried the team like he was supposed to during Game 5. He did everything he was supposed to do but is getting no media credit because we lost. Simmons tried to say Dwight wasn't a leader and didn't do anything on his podcast as well and Zach Lowe called him out. Simmons just wants to fit things into nice little theories instead of accepting that winning/losing often comes down to a couple of plays that could go either way. Dwight demanded the ball. Dwight scored consistently in the 4th quarter. Parsons hit that layup. We had it. Going to game 7 at home. A breakdown happened and it means we suck? The Lakers had a breakdown in Game 2 of the NBA finals where Courtney Lee got a wide open alley oop layup to win the game. Are they more of a manly team because Lee missed a wide open layup?

Furthermore, would this even be a story if we switch opponents? The Rockets would have blown the Hawks and Wizards out of the water and gained momentum as we moved through the playoffs. How can you ignore context and opponents while making these sweeping statements?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We need this guy back.

[​IMG]

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes.

That contract though

9. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

So true.

And if we can pursue Battier to comeback from retirement.

I think Brooks kind of fit that mold to be honest. Maybe not a screamer but definitely a veteran who could have contributed.

10. clutz

clutz Member

11. yakitori

Yea, Dwight was a monster in game 5 and 6. Pretty much carried the team those 2 games. However, I still wish there had been one player during the critical plays that would just shut everyone up and say "This is what we're gonna do."

The most critical play of the season...and players don't even know what they're doing a few seconds before the inbounds. When even the opposing players comment afterwards on how they knew the Rockets weren't sure who they were covering... that's a problem. Not saying that wouldn't have happened anyway, but wish there had been one leader out there vocal and passionate as heck.

12. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are so many holes in this article, some of which have been pointed out by other posters already. I do, however, agree with the opinion that we need a veteran in the ranks. This is why I’m secretly hoping for the Nets to implode and they buy out KG. Then he can come here for the vet’s minimum and play off the bench as a 4/5 in the Deke/Camby role. He’s got an infectious passion for winning and credibility with his ring. I think closing his career with a coach he really loves and fighting for a few more rings with him would be awesome. Heck, if he can bring The Truth here to come off the bench as our 3/2 and (spot minutes as a stretch 4) for Parsons and Harden would be amazing.

13. dragician

dragician Member

14. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Get Melo here and it almost guarantees a trip to the WCF.

15. yakitori

While reading, I thought of Bobby Sura for some reason. Vocal, passionate, not afraid to get in guys' faces. I miss that guy.

And I probably should have emphasized I only agreed with the quoted part of the article. His analysis of the Pacers is pretty sketchy here. The first 5 paragraphs are also brutal to get through.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If the Rockets had David West, they wouldn't use him properly. We have the talent but the Game Plan leaves a lot to be desired.

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

He looks like someone let a snake onto the court, and he grabbed the net to climb onto the rim in fear....

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think that is a bit bogus because pat Bev is everything Simmons described. Also lots of guys he listed don't fit that criteria, simply role players that won a championship.

Simmons act is getting old

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    "Eh, never mind. I was gonna say something, but then I forgot, so all I could manage to get out was 'guys, let's not let the ball get sticky.' There was that one time I came up with, 'a hold, a hoop, and a hold' as a strategy down the stretch. At least I can go back to my role as Chief Recruiter this off-season."

1 person likes this.