1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[grantland]Robert Horry Says Hakeem Was the Best Center in History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

You said Wilt but you mean Kareem.

That or you are very confused.

2. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Probably the one fact that is usually forgotten is his steals. He is number 8 all time in steals :eek::eek:...that to me is a ridiculous stat!!! A center number 8 in steals :eek::eek:...clyde is number 7 :p

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

lol you are right, i meant kareem, butyou got the gist. thanks for point it out

4. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

^^^pointing
    i need an edit button

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You can edit if you contribute to the tip jar.

As for Kareem's championships, its not like the other guys won championships without him.

6. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

the last cuple, magic pretty much carried an old kareem. he still put up great numbers even while old, but they were ll easy buckets set up by magic. They were talking about this yesterday during the haltime of the rockets game-magic, jalen, simmons and wilbon

7. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

Horry is great man, his stories are always so interesting....

8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

In terms of absolute skill level, Hakeem was far away and the best. Compared to Russell, Wilt, Shaq, and Kareem, Hakeem was the best dribbler, had the best footwork, had the best post moves, was the most versatile, and was the fastest and most athletic.

It's difficult to compare to Russell and Wilt, considering that they physically dominated their era, and never had any need to learn the kinds of footwork, dribbling, and jumpshooting that Hakeem did.

The only real comparison is Kareem, whose skyhook remains the greatest move in NBA history. You can't deny the skill it takes to make 12 foot hook shots seem like layups. Not as pretty as the dream shake, but completely unguardable by anyone except Hakeem and a few others.

9. JayZ750

yeah, well he was old. Kareem carried Big O in his first one. That's how it works with old and young players, even superstar ones. Still, Kareem was important to winning that championship, at wasn't just old, but ridiculously old!

I'm not a fan of longevity for longevity sake. Favre did not need to keep coming back, especially when you knew it would just end poorly - as it did ever year (with him throwing a critical pick).

While Kareem was clearly a shell of his former self, he was still very very serviceable. He played almost 30 mpg at the age of 40

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if Clyde retires from the mic, I think Horry would be great.

11. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Thank you. Im over here heated. No one can touch the DREAM period. Shaq would eat Wilts ass up and the DREAM owned Shaq. He still has nightmares of bangin against the DREAM and the DREAM pullin the chair and stealin the ball.

12. JayZ750

Hakeem did not own Shaq. their head to heads can be found here:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=onealsh01&p2=olajuha01

Shaq had better stats and a better record against Hakeem in the regular season.
    Hakeem had a better record in the playoffs, but Shaq had better all around stats.

Of course, stats are stats, and even then its probably better to look at games where both were still relatively in their primes. During which time they seem pretty fairly matched.

Don't get me wrong, I rank Hakeem ahead of Shaq on an overall basis, but let's not act like Hakeem owned Shaq when an unbiased observer might if anything say the opposite was closer to the truth.

All of which also ignores the fact that no one can definitely say Shaq would eat Wilt alive either. I agree that Wilt and Russell both benefit enormously from their era, though.

13. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I certainly watched Jabbar play and I saw Moses Malone mop the floor with his ass when the Rockets beat the Lakers in the 1980 play-offs and then again during the finals with the 76ers in 83.

In 1986 I saw Hakeem wipe the floor with his ass in the WCF.

I'm sure there is no disagreement there. Hakeem is the best center in the history of the Rockets and Jabbar was not even as good as Moses Malone who was the only the 2nd best center in the history of the Rockets.

14. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Hakeem was better than Shaq. A lot of their head to heads came when Hakeem was in the twighlight of his career. Hakeem kicked the **** out of Shaq the only time it really mattered, during the NBA Finals.

15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

shaq has stated on numerous occasions that dream ranks higher than him on the all-time list.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wilt was the most dominant PLAYER of all time.

Dream was the BEST CENTER of all time.

Wilt was just a freak of nature. No one could stop him. He just score from 3 feet out because no one was there to impede him...until Bill Russell came along.

But today, in the modern NBA. If you were to pick a rookie center to build a team around. You'd have to go with Dream - the only guy I ever saw block Jabbar's sky hook.

Anyone who thinks that's crazy can read my sig.

17. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

that is an excellent suggestion!!!

Make it happen!!! Better still, just get rid of Bullard....

18. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

Stats may not tell the story, but Hakeem owned Shaq mentally. And that's ownage. Man, Shaq pretty much says it now in interviews, and the man is so protective of his legacy he's always bigging himself up on tnt, so for him to acknowledge Hakeem is basically the better centre, it's ownage.

19. VBG

VBG Member

This is a year old and has been posted and discussed before but still cool I guess.

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

Meh, Horry just being a homer.