1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Apr 18, 2019.

1. HROZ

HROZ Member

Moreys grades for me can be broken into 2 categories.

F for the offseason
    Anthony, Ennis, Carter-Williams, Chriss & Knight really..... Multiple disappointments.

But he gets an A- for staying on the hussle.
    House, Faried & Rivers have been awesome pickups. And saved our season.

The House & Clark contract debacle and Iman was meh. Is the only reason it's an A-. Otherwise it would be an A+.

roslolian likes this.
  2. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Fresh Take.

3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Piping hot.

topfive likes this.
  4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

debatable,
    Some people would grade Morey lower than an A- b/c he had to trade draft resources to fix his mistakes.
    He did make a nice recovery by picking up faried, rivers, and house, he also traded a sht ton to get rid of knight and to get shumpert.

5. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

A+

If you don’t agree you are a hater.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

summer - big F

since then - A

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are too extreme.

I give no grade to Fertitta.

I give him Gnarly Murrayl a D- for the Offseason for trying at least.

And a C for all the charade with sending House down and playing the long game.

I know we got 4th seed and Utah but could have gotten 2nd. You shoot for better results even if that means San Antonio.

And a good grade between A+ - B+ since then. Dependent on the result Finals and Championship or Bust.

It's a result driven league.

#7 daywalker02, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He gets the Hasselhoff/Rivera thumbs up bromance from me!!

9. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

It's an A++ and it's not even a discussion.

#1 Goal - Win a Title.
    #2 Goal - Setup team to win in the future.

A. This team is better going into the playoffs than last year, when we should have won. This is in large part due to Morey's acquisitions during the year and his getting rid of dead roster spots (Anderson, Knight) and replacing them with productive players that give the Rockets better depth, a better bench and more flexibility in terms of matching up with opponents.

B. Morey improved the team over last year while simultaneously getting us under the salary cap and setting us up for success next year and beyond. The number of GMs that reduced salary while at the same time significantly improving a championship caliber team is exactly one - Morey.

Morey is a genius and we are so so lucky to have him.

Zergling, DM'sVP, Deckard and 12 others like this.
  10. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

The Capela extension is easily one of the best contracts in the NBA. That happened in the offseason. The impact of the Capela extension is 100X more important than the Anthony, Ennis, MCW, Chriss & Knight transactions combined. You can't give anyone an F for an off-season when they lock up arguably one of the top young centers in the game and an absolutely essential part of the Rockets success for below market value for the length of their superstar player's prime.

Chriss & Knight were a by product of getting rid of Anderson. You can't evaluate them on their own.

The other transactions - Anthony, Ennis and MCW were inconsequential.

11. Voltik

Voltik Member

I don’t blame Morey for trying out things in the off-season with Anthony and Ennis, it worked last year bringing in Luc and the year before with Gordon and Anderson.

However, I will blame him for the MCW signing because there was no way he would have worked for us without an outside shot. There wasn’t even a remote chance he would have fit our system based on past years.

House not being signed early is on Tillman and not Morey.

I would say A- is accurate for the season based on acquiring and signing Clark, Faried, Rivers, and House. Knock off two levels from A+ and A for having to trade our future to level out mistakes and losing to House on the multi year commitment. The Faried and Rivers signing was needed even if we had Ariza and healthy Luc on the team. Those were are two weakness (lack of depth at C and defending PG) from last year. The only concern is the lack of length and experience for starting SF position for a switch heavy defense.

D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Some of you self-hating Rockets fans love to bring up Morey's bad off season.

Morey's like, "CALL ME IN APRIL, HOMIE!"

Morey gets an A, B+ at worst for this season overall. I bet you offseason grade giving ninjahs were all melting down at the deadline.

Batman Jones likes this.
  13. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

F for.acquiring Michael Carter Williams and Carmelo Anthony.

B+ for acquiring Austin Rivers, Kenneth Faried and Danuel House.

Trade Shumpert and Hartenstein for Alex Caruso -- Morey will get an A.o_O

#13 dfbreyes, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

I can't help but wonder if the half-million bucks Morey couldn't add to House's contract offer because of Capela's potential FT% bonus would have been enough to convince Danuel to sign.

Rocket River likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure how anyone can see this as less than an A+. He has built a team that is better than the one we took into the playoffs last year WHILE simultaneously following the directive to get under the luxury tax. That's just bonkers. We have the best GM in basketball. He's built all of this without ever having a top pick; without being a top free agent destination; without cap room.

Deckard, Vivi, jcf and 4 others like this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I said almost the exact same thing without reading your post. Obviously I think you're brilliant now.

jcf likes this.
  17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

A+ for getting a well-deserved extension. No matter how this season ends, Rockets are in good hands. We had Lin, Dwight and Melo, but it don't matter Morey still tinker a lineup that will compete every NBA seasons. Where are all the Ariza lovers? Ryno?)

18. HROZ

HROZ Member

But he hasn't made a step to setting us up for next year. House does not have a multi year contract. And he won't be here next year. We will need to find soneoso again of his quality.
    I mean we signed him to a multi year contract then bought him out to them re sign him to a 2 way contract.

If Morey doesn't stuff up that. It's an A+ for the season. But he definitely loses marks for that stuff up.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Why we always grading other people instead of ourselves?
    Grade CF as fans: D.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

NEXT YEAR!!?!?!?!?!
    (almost) Every year Morey has delivered and you out here thinking about next year? Let Morey worry about next year.. Morey has put together a contending team THIS YEAR. smh.. Harden is still the Rockets future.