1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] The Jeremy Lin Debate No One Wants to Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

To add, just read Jeremy Lin's Career section in wikipedia.

- California high school player of the year - ends up on weak NCAA university (Harvard). The assistant coach's first impression of him was that he was a 'Division III' player. UCLA coach says in hindsight, Lin would end up being the starting point guard at UCLA.

- Helped Harvard set records in wins, non-conference wins, home wins, road wins.. (all he does is win win win) in his senior year. Lots of college coaches praising him. Ends up undrafted. This I won't fully attribute to prejudice - teams never draft from Harvard after all. But still, you'd have to think if he was black, maybe he would've been picked in the 2nd round, or a lot more teams would've offered him Summer League tryouts (only Donnie Nelson of the Mavs did)

- Present time. People like Hillboy and worse denying Lin's talent, disparaging him, etc.

Oh well. Haters gonna hate. I look forward to Lin playing like a champ on our team next season.

Everytime Jeremy Lin has stepped on the court, from high school to NBA, he has proven he can play and he can win. Yet, his talent and potential are still in doubt. Imagine if he played like Sebastian Telfair or Jonny Flynn on the NBA floor. He'd probably never sniff the NBA again. Meanwhile, Telfair and Flynn still consistently get chances to 'prove' themselves. It feels like Jeremy Lin's margin for error is a lot smaller.

#181 LCII, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yup. Omar Asik as well. Nobody said anything about his money. What Jerry Stackhouse said was the worst. He didn't just say Lin was overpaid he said that three years from now the Rockets would regret it. Never heard anybody say something like that about another player before in my life. Javale played 20 games for the Denver Nuggets after being traded by the Wizards. They saw the potential in him to become great and gave him 44 million dollars. Nobody says a thing. Teams invest in players all the time based on production (small or large sample size doesn't matter), potential, work ethic, character locker room presence, health. So many factors go in to a individuals pay day.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

If Lin was black he would have gone to a top school for basketball. If he had played like he did in harvard at a better school he would have been drafted probably a top pick. If lin were black you are right SAS narrative around Lin would be that the NBA scouts suck blah blah blah.

4. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Yea right, they said the same thing about Tiger Woods, and Jackie Robinson. And today not many blacks play golf, and baseball doesnt have many african-americans anymore

Its funny how asians are claiming that blacks are being racist towards Lin.

In the NHL black players get treated like crap. Do you see black people complaining( nope)

What about when Tiger Woods burst on the scene

I dont know why or how asians are trying to single out afro-americans, when its not afro-americans being racist towards him.

Lin said while he was at Harvard fans used to chant racial things at him. Hate to sound stereotypical but those were probably not blacks in the stands(especially when you are talking about Ivey-League schools). Also Lin's Harvard coach was african-american

Now i will bring up a few incidents that should be a cause for concern if you talking about "racism" againist asians. The incident with Miley Cyrus(making the slanted eyed face). Along with the Spain national team in 2008..( Asians did not lash out at either of them). Why not

And then recently we have seen the responses from Knick Fans upset with Lin( leaving racial comments at him on facebook and twitter). Not many were african-americans

I hate to speak for the majority of african-americans, but i can tell you most if not all african-americans really dont have time to troll the internet and race bait. Most blacks you see online with stereotypical screenames (such as a "BigTyrone") with avatars and profiles ( are made by other races believe it or not to mock blacks). Its like an online version of "blackface"

I hate to single out asians here, but it seems a lot of you guys ignore the blatant racism of other races that are attacking asians, and are maybe looking for something that isnt really there with blacks. I mean African-Americans have been in the league for years, and have played againist european players, isrealies, chinese, and others. I dont know why you would think african-american athletes would have the time to be racist or pick on Lin.

5. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

So SAS is racist, because he doesnt like Lin. Oh brother

So i guess we should call Skip Bayless a racist because he hates LeBron or calls him prince James

come on man, SAS is a shock jock sports analyst along with most of the people who work at ESPN

I doubt any of them are racist

6. roxxy

roxxy Member

When did I ever call him racist? Get real homie. The word racist implies a hatred of someone because of the color of there skin and also implies that he would hate all people, even if they aren't basketball players, who are of that same skin color. I never said SAS was racist. I just said that he always defends the black athlete. SAS has said this himself, his words not mine. And it just isn't Lin. SAS did the same thing to Gallinari when the Knicks were trading for Melo. He did the same thing to Yao Ming back in the day. In fact wasn't SAS fired from his previous job for saying politically incorrect things. This notion of SAS being "racist" (which I do not think he is) extends back a long time way before Lin. And FYI SAS did say that he wanted to put Lin in his place, those are some racially charged words. But like I said I don't think SAS is racist per se. But he does have a strong racial preference when it comes to the NBA. Has there ever been a time in any discussion (ex. MVP awards) between an African American and someone not of African American descent that SAS picked the African American player? None that I can re-call.

7. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Technically, making any judgments based first/solely on racist is considered being "racist". In that you clearly see the race stand out first before you form an opinions/evaluations of said individual. Racism isn't always clearly malignant or evil, and it can even be 'positive'. But the matter of making judgement calls with race at the heart of the issue is always toxic to society.

8. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Edited for grammar.

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XznUU0fEvUI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oYsJ6hULcic" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p5-A8Ao47nU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wanna add more

Like i said, most of the analysts who work at ESPN are shock analysts, they say stuff to bring in viewers

Its like me saying that Larry Merchant hates black boxers( when thats isnt the truth)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but these sports analysts are most likely not racist my friend

10. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Stephen A. Smith said Andrew Luck will be better than RG3, and if he was the Colts GM, he would take Luck

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XzESj57vodg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. roxxy

roxxy Member

I don't follow football so I can't speak on it. I was talking about basketball strictly the NBA. Is there an example of him doing such a thing in the NBA? And listen I took SAS words. He said it himself I always defend the black athlete. Sure he rips on Kwame Brown (who doesn't), and talks smack about Pippen and Marbury. But SAS has openly said on national television, on his twitter multiple times that he defends the black athlete. His words not mine. And his words on twitter were in rants when people were chirping him and he goes off. And like I said he has a history of saying racially insensitive things ("put someone in there place") and politically incorrect things that gotr him fired from his job from what I can remember. This notion that SAS is "racist" extends way back. I still remember him vividly bashing Danillo Gallinari prior to the Melo trade as well as purposefully butchering Yao's name and demeaning everything he does. He may go ham on an african american once in a while but SAS has a racial preference that is undeniable.

12. poing

poing Member

Lin's haters are racist. Lin's fans are racist.

Everyone posting in this thread is racist.

/thread

13. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

What did he say?

14. roxxy

roxxy Member

Skyrim remember I never said he was racist. I said he has a racial preference and more often than not it is in favour of African American basketball players.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Why do you people allways play the race card?

16. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Not sure... if being ironical

17. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

I dont think you are or anyone else here are racist, and i agree looking back SAS career he does favor african-americans a lot. Jemelle Hill is another that does as well, but she is by far the worst

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

I see. Well it is a sad day that race still drives national discussion but it is what it is. A lot of these guys use it as there schtik to drive ratings, raise eye balls and shock the masses. That is why I don't listen to half of them or believe any of there opinions. Anyway, Lin being in Houston is best I think. It seems like the fans and the media and the Rockets franchise know how to handle him being asian american with more respect than those respective parties did in NY. They were just atrocious from the very beginning to the very end.

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Yep, its one of the reasons i rarely watch much TV, i dont watch the news either. Everything is being done these days for "shock" value

Oh LeBron tweeted this!"

Tebow said this!

Its all a joke now man

20. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Lin's comments about his contract just solidifies that prejudice still exists today in America. I don't care how you spin it. The best anyone could do is not to label. Personally, I think melo is a scumbag and so does my buddy who happens to black. Get my drift?