1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GQ: James Harden Is The Villain the NBA Playoffs Need

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tnopham, May 18, 2015.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Strange article

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Wasn't there a Grantland article a few weeks ago that essentially said the exact same thing? Does anyone care about having an original thought anymore? ****ing amateurs....

3. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Truth. I thought it was the same article as I didn't read either lol.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Agree with the consensus -- playing for contact is nothing new. Also remember our previous SG, Kevin Martin, had built a reputation on shooting free throws. If drawing fouls is a revolution, the revolution happened quite a while back.

I still maintain, however, that the reason people hate this Houston team is because of Moreyball, not the players. They want to be able to say analytics doesn't work in basketball because quantification ruins the basketball experience for them. But the more success Morey has in acquiring talent and the more success that talent has on the court, the more upset people get that the analytics are working. And, btw, what do the analytics say about drawing fouls? That it's a great play!

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No one wants the Eggheads ruining the beauty of athletics
    I mean . .. Watching Floyd win fight after fight . . fighting 'smart' sucks
    We wanna see a brawl. .. . . .
    If Bunting worked 90% of the time . .. we'd hate baseball . .. .

Minimal thinking but maximum over powering atheletic TALENT

We are a society that PRAISES what we consider natural ability over learned skills

Rocket River

7. SemisolidSnake

Stopped reading at the word "free throws." There was a young star player in the '86-'87 season that hit 833 free throws that season. Harden hit 715 free throws this season. That young guy's name in the 80's? Michael Jordan. Anybody writers out there want to argue about Michael Jordan and how often he went to the line? Hmm, silence? Hmm.

Well, maybe you guys out in the media could argue with these dudes:

HOFer Jerry West
    HOFer Wilt Chamberlain (if only Wilt were still with us)
    HOFer Adrian Dantley
    HOFer Oscar Robertson
    Last year's MVP Kevin Durant
    HOFer Rick Barry
    HOFer Moses Malone
    HOFer Charles Barkley
    HOFer Karl Malone

That rounds out the top 15. Ya know, media dudes, simply googling "most free throws all time" would immediately take you to the page where I got all this information. Apparently they don't teach math OR first-grade search engine skills in journalism school. Now, drop it, will you, all?

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Harden two straps baby.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol, nice. (Though I consider Michael Jordan the penultimate villain.)

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Not this year.
    LeBron is the hometown hero and the reincarnated savior of Cleveland.

12. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Only part I disagree with is Harden not taking a pounding. He gets thrown around ALOT.

I can't say I watched much of Iverson, but did he really take a pounding? How in the world could his frame afford to take a pounding like Wade took?

13. J Hard

J Hard Member

I just don't get how getting to the free throw line as frequent as possible is a bad thing, smh. They'd praise all other superstars for their knack at getting to the line, they praised Direct, but somehow that's a starting point to discount and criticize Harden.

Sounds like a bandwagon u

nintelligent fan is the starting point for all Harden critics.

Ridiculous.

14. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Harden occasionally creates fouls by intentionally wrapping his arms inside the defenders arm and creating the contact with the primary goal of drawing a foul rather than trying to score. Or going out of his way to run into them creating contact. They are fouls, but he went out of his way to create them. Considering Harden isn't getting any more foul shots on average than other star shooting guards it doesn't seem to be that big a "revolution". It might lead to more players trying the same tricks though. And other players like Durant do similar tricks to draw contact on jump shots when a defender sticks their arm out and they swing under them and shoot.

Some fans and media aesthetically prefer players to play the way you would in a pick up game. In a take the ball out if you get fouled style pick up game there is no point to intentionally creating fouls, so some people just don't appreciate that style.

In the end other team's fans only hate your players if they are good, or dirty, and I don't think anyone considers Harden dirty.

15. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Would be even better if you just 'shopped out the "vey" and "t".

16. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Nice nod to the city where screw was born.

Never heard of Harden's game being compared to screwed and chopped music.:cool:

17. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

[​IMG]

FIFY

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Harden is too boring to be a villain.

He doesn't do anything really bad and doesn't even really trash talk the opponent or complain constantly about the refs or whatever.

19. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

But he get's too many fouls. And no one in the NBA wants to play with him.