1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Governor Perry Raises Taxes in Harris County by Denying Medicaid Expansion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Nov 12, 2013.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Perry and the Repubs have fooled the yahoos again. One of my favorites is reducing state taxes by a couple hundred bucks per year while raising the tuition at the college system by thousands. They so cherish their hundreds and love them some Perry, Abbot etc.

One million are denied the Medicaid expansion in Texas. So about 250, 000 in Harris County and surrounding counties.

Now instead of having three years of 100% free federally funded Medicaid and 90% funding thereafter, we have to continue to pay more and more taxes to fund the Harris County Health Care System. You know. Ben Taub, LBJ and all the clinics.

I know, conservos and libertarians, don't raise those taxes. Just deny these folks care or pretend there is a free lunch or that they are all unauthorized aliens.

Also pretend or remain voluntarily ignorant that people can go regularly every month to the ER's and get their insuline, psych meds, and other monthly meds. How about pretending also (or remaining blissfully ignorant) that denying the poor anti-psychotic meds has anything to do with the high taxes needed to fund the criminal courts and TDC.

2. rudan

rudan Member

poor guy, cant get his anti-psychotic meds. Complain here :rolleyes:

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Stupid yahoo here, why should people outside of Harris County pay for a Harris County health program?

4. glynch

I don't expect empathy from your guys any more than from a Jihadist, a devout follower of Mao, Stalin etc. Your ideology prevents such emotions.

I am arguing that preventing poor folks from getting their anti-psychotic meds increases taxes for all. I am assuming that you don't work off the books and possibly pay some property taxes.

5. glynch

Maybe you don't live in Harris County? I was trying to make a more general argument. Perhaps Fort, Bend, Katy etc. which are in the Houston area. These counties also pay county taxes though they have very inferior indigent health care.

Hey don't call yourself "stupid" I would say just "uninformed" and blinded by simplistic market fundie ideology.

Maybe you don't have real estate or have never looked at your taxes in detail.

Hey THE EXAMPLE was directed at folks who live in Harris County.

1) The Medicaid expansion denial by Perry affects all Texas Counties.

2) Harris County is a TX county and along with surrounding counties has roughly 25% of the TX population

3) If a person goes to the LBJ or Ben Taub ER (and you folks are always claiming that ER visits are avialable so why have health care reform) there is no free lunch and it is paid largely by Harris County property taxes. So are the criminal courts and of course the TDC is paid by all Texans.

There is no free lunch. Deny them health care and it isn't just other folks suffering, but it costs you. We are trying to talk real world here and not an imaginary world with no government.

6. Raven

Raven Member

All the Texas GOP can do is try to kill off as many poor people as they can before they are voted out of office.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Explicitly untruthful thread title and unlinked story.

8. glynch

No substantive response. I see.

Please explain how the folks who could get Medicaid but for Perry are treated at Ben Taub does not lead to Harris county folks paying more taxes. taxes. Oh, you can't.

As for the million not covered by Medicaid in Texas, per google,

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're lying about one event to get people's attention and manipulate their opinion about another. And you still haven't linked to any factual information.

10. glynch

You are lying about whether I provided any factual info.

The saddest part is you are lying in an attempt to to justify a policy which leads to sick poor people suffering unnecessarily.

Needless to say you provide no factual info at all.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm not trying to justify anything. You lied about a a state official raising taxes because he cut funding to a program in one county (out of over 200). You didn't link to any external factual information. Don't piggyback on others' poverty and illness to rationalize your dishonest and non-cited OP.

12. glynch

Are you ocd or a computer coder or someone who can't skip a step or just extremely literally minded?

OMG I tried to draw attention to my post concerning the denial of health care a topic I feel strongly about. Perhaps even as strongly as you feel about me not entititling my post. "Perry's denial of Medicaid expanison will inevitably lead to higher taxes in Harris County and other counties in Texas". (I am not going to explain to you how the required indigent health care program works in counties in Texas. Google it to inform yourself.

It is an internet message board, dude. Lighten up.

Now if you actually care about the topic rather than just a Medicaid expansion denial guy or simply prefer to remain fixated on the headline style, explain to me, if you can, how denying roughly 200 thousand folks (sorry -- I know this bothers you--this is extrapolating and not a figure that can be pinned down to the nearest unit)in Medicaid will not lead to higher property taxes in Harris County. Keep in mind that emergency rooms need to treat everyone (you will have to google and educate yourself on this one, too).

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, now you're just lobbing insults to detract from your original dishonesty. You cite your passion about the issue as an excuse for posting misleading and incomplete information and then ask others to "lighten up."

14. body slam

body slam Member

don't worry Obama will save us

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

When you state that those who disagree with you politically are "yahoos" or that they are "blinded" or compare them to Jihadists, you will never make a cogent argument. All you will accomplish is making an ass out of yourself, which you have done here.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're joking, right? Please tell me your joking. You couldn't possibly be this uninformed. While I don't always agree with glynch, what he's said here is sadly on target. Perhaps he could have used less confrontational language, but the essence of his OP is true.

17. glynch

lol

get back to the spread sheet or coding

18. glynch

Of course he can that uninformed. A great of these middle or upper class folks are. Studies have shown that the more you watch Fox the less you are informed about important basic facts which should be weighed when making political judgments.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He claimed a governor was raising taxes because a program in a single county was being cut.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I advocate speaking truth to power. The truth, the exact truth, is bad enough to decry power all over the place these days.

Speaking distorted hyperbole to power just throws more noise into the system. Sound and fury joining cable news in a maddening sound mass.

Appreciate and sympathize with the passion though. In some areas we are marching backwards into history, no doubt.