1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta learn to stop whining to refs!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dallas Rocket, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

Great win last nite. A real morale booster to Rox and stake in the heart of my 2nd favorite team, the Mavs. Somehow the Rockets always seem to give the Mavs fits.

But Cat, Stevie and crew have to learn to stop whining to the refs. They have to understand that it only HURTS THEM in terms of getting the calls. Too often, while they are lobbying the refs, the other team has already pushed to ball for an easy fast break basket 5 on 4. We are getting a Portland-like reputations and it shows. The smart players/coaches seem to find a way to speak to the ref calmly during a time out and state their case, not show him up during the action.

Sure they got lousy calls last nite, but that's the "homer" calls that happen every nite in the NBA. (Just look at FT attempts by home team vs. visitor). And with the Rocket's growing reputation for crying all the time, will they simply get no breaks from the refs.

And another thing: everybody needs to go to flop school in the off season:rolleyes:

Dallas Rocket

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I have that same fear about the reputation. As a team we whine about calls far too frequently. And complaining during the game plays into the hands of the uptempo teams who are at the other end of the floor faster than Moochie can make 2 dribbles. :)

While Cat & Steve are very engaging and personable people, that private rapport is easily and quickly forgotten if officials are continuously brought to task in front of thousands of fans.

Play on!

#2 GATER, Apr 12, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2002
  3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I just have a question. Does a blocking foul even exist anymore? Over the last couple of years, it seems like the definition of a charge has slowly expanded, to where it's now almost called like it is in college. There was a stretch in that game where it seemed like every call was going against the Rockets. So maybe its too late. We might already have a bad reputation with officials.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Three offensive falls called in a row?!? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I loved it when Mobley got a T and was egging on the crowd to bring it. You gotta love the way this team plays sometimes. Though, I'm sick of falling so far behind in the first quarter...tough to be a rockets fan surrounded by the enemy when your team can't make a shot. But some of those calls were just atrocious. I thought Francis made a play on the ball when he "took van Exel's head off" and I thought Najera was by himself trying to save a ball when they called a flagrant on KT. Though, I'm not too sure about that one, didn't have a good look, and no replay. Anyway, I thought the Rockets were getting bad calls, even some of my friends said they're sick of Najera flopping all over the place. Well, someone has to do it when Karla and Flopton finally leave.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

besides the fact that he plays for the Mavs

what do you guys think of Najera?
    I find it sort of difficult to compare him to anyone else but I like guys who just hang around the glass.
    Does he play any D? I haven't seen him too much.

Would you give up the Toronto pick for him... etc?

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Najera would be better than Langhi. That was a great draft day trade...

7. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

The refs were aweful. Especially the flagrant foul called on the Franchise.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Refs were pretty bad. But crying about it, doesn't help at all. Mainly because while you're complaining, your man is already on offense.

If you must complain, complain in a dead ball situation, while the game is not going on.

9. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Excuse me but the only team complaining about the calls were the Mavs. They were up by twenty; and when they lost the lead they whined about everything. Nelson got a technical when the refs actually made a correct call. They are just like their owner; if you dont win its someone else's fault. God forbid anybody on the mavericks take blame and a little responsibility on themselves instead of blaming everyone else.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't necessarily agree about your theory that b****ing about calls doesn't help, Dallas Rocket. While I do think the Rockets whine a bit too much, keep in mind that the Mavs and Don Nelson in particular were complaining that they were getting hammered inside (during that stretch where Griffin blocked two shots and Steve blocked one). What happens after that? A LOOONG string of terrible charging calls. Seemed a little too coincidental to me, and I think the refs were listening to Don Nelson. Getting in their ear does help some, but doing it excessively like the Rockets do at times is silly. And I absolutely HATE the way Cuttino Mobley protests calls, by essentially falling on the ground and a flailing about like he is a 2 year old throwing a temper tantrum. NO ref is going to respond well to that.

11. Dallas Rocket

Dallas Rocket Contributing Member

What game were you watching?? Sure the Mavs complained but we did more than our share!

And I'm not just talking about last nite. All year long our constant whining and complaining is just making it more difficult to get the calls to go our way; like it or not the refs are human and don't like being shown up.

You are right we get our share of lousy calls, but that's not gonna change until we learn to quit yapping.

You gotta learn how to play the game.;)

D R

12. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

This is $#it! The Rockets have improved on their whining especially Steve. I've watched every game and they rarely act like they did last year. Maybe Cat, but even he's improved. There's nothing wrong with protesting calls. Sometimes you need to make a point. Some of you blow things way out of proportion.

There was that 2 or 3 minute stretch last night where every call went against us and that was on both sides of the floor. Most of those calls were BS.

Charge on Cat
    2 Charges on Francis
    Flagrant on Francis
    Loose ball on Kenny
    No calls for the mavs

Even I was pissed at this point. Cat didn't handle it the right way, but I could feel his frustration.