1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta give Pig his props!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2000.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Everytime I see his box score he's got like one rebound for every two minutes on the floor or close to it. That's not bad for the price we're paying. Not many guys can do that, esp. when they're his height. He's up there with Jerome Williams, Popeye Jones, Danny Fortson, and Chuck Barkley. Just a handful of players. He's pretty efficient on offense too. I'd like to see us keep him around. How come he never plays any PF - too slow? How does he look as a LT backup center?

------------------

2. Houston Rocks

Houston Rocks Member

I'd like keepin him around too. Never once has his motivation been questioned, he's always hustling. I'd go as far as to call him a ball-hog when it comes to rebounding. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I made the same observation a month or so ago. I got very little response. People around here only complained about his lack of ball handling skills. I think his production is underrated. He's the closest thing to Dennis Rodman without the distractions IMHO. I think you're right on target. I also think he's the only one strong enough on the team to play with Malone and some of the other top forwards.

------------------

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

Just noticed that NBA.com gives stats for 48-min leaders. In rebounding, the top 5 are:

1. Dikembe Mutambo - 18.6
    2. Jerome Williams - 18.0
    3. Jahidi White - 17.3
    x. Anthony Miller - 16.6
    4. Dale Davis - 16.5
    5. Shaquille O'Neal - 16.4

Anthony "Pig" Miller wasn't listed because of minimum requirements (probably games played), but he would be good for 4th.

An interesting note, no other Rocket qualified for the top 50 in rebounding per 48-minutes played. Another interesting note, despite no other Rocket in the top 50, the Rockets as a team are 8th in the league with 43.9 boards a game.

When trying to decide who stays and who goes in the offseason, consider the size of his contract and his production.

------------------

5. popeye

popeye Member

Actually in a TV interview a week or so back, RT said those very things:

1. That Pig (he prefers the name to Anthony,BTW) Miller was more of an asset than anyone realizes,

2. That he is a steady producer on the boards and would be league leader if they computed the actual rebounds per minutes played, and
    3. That this team would NOT be as successful (and RT clearly feels this team was a HUGE success this year) if not for Pig's contribution.

I am one, and probably a very singular minority, that feels BOTH Pig Muller and Bull Bullard will be back next year. Mainly because each have a defined role that they each successfully perform without all the BS, whining, "special handling" and requests for more P-time, etc... that a lot of NBA pros do.

All at a price that is fairly cheap in today's market.

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Man, I haven't been to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in a long time!

Sorry, I was thinking to myself...all this talk about pigs and bulls.

I agree, I would like to see Pig stay on the roster. He is very productive for the minutes he gets. Bull on the other hand, I'll be ok with or without him.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!

7. Stevie3

Stevie3 Member

I have always liked Pig because as yall say, he hustles and works hard - just the type of player a winning team has to have. Just the kind of guy Rudy T likes. Please don't take a chance and give him a big contract too soon like we did for Cato. The money apparently was too big a distraction for Cato to handle while trying to play for a new team.

Matt Bullard has been a real veteran pro this year. He took team leadership as a veteran, and he got the respect by nailing many big shots consistently. Let's give him his due which he doesn't always get cus he's always joking and apparently happy. He's a valuable veteran to keep.

------------------

8. Stevie3

Stevie3 Member

I have always liked Pig because as yall say, he hustles and works hard - just the type of player a winning team has to have. Just the kind of guy Rudy T likes. Please don't take a chance and give him a big contract too soon like we did for Cato. The money apparently was too big a distraction for Cato to handle while trying to play for a new team.

Matt Bullard has been a real veteran pro this year. He took team leadership as a veteran, and he got the respect by nailing many big shots consistently. Let's give him his due which he doesn't always get cus he's always joking and apparently happy. He's a valuable veteran to keep. Isn't he #4 in the NBA in three point shooting?

------------------

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I mentioned this in a thread about Cato, but I would rather see Pig out on the court hustling than Cato just hanging out. I like Pig, he will never be a star in the NBA but every succesful team needs these type of players, that work hard & know their roles.

------------------