1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta give major props to Cuban

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

In that case we should only have one title since jordan wasnt in the league when we got our first chip'. Thats your logic right

2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That's not his logic at all. Maybe it's his logic if you look at us coming back from being down 3-1 to Phoenix.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think people are missing the important lesson in all this, which is superstars >>>> everything else. Just look at the Clippers. Horrible, horrendous owner. Miserable for decades. CP3 comes in, and now they're taking over LA.

Cuban is a good owner. However, there's only so much an owner can do. What people overestimated wasn't how good an owner Cuban was, but rather how important a role the owner plays on a team. Cuban can't conjure up superstars because he's cool and friends with everyone and spends money. DWill, CP3, Howard showed they will avoid that mediocre team with a cool, lavish owner just as quickly as one avoid a mediocre team with a geeky spreadsheet GM.

4. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Cuban is overrated, Lebron choked against the Mavs and gave them a title, get over it people. Not sure why everyone is on Cuban's nuts. We have twice as many titles as the Mavs and have a much better current team and brighter future. Mavs suck, Cuban sucks, give me Les and Morey any day over Cuban. Go Rockets!!!

5. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Dallas lost the title they should have one 2 Miami

Miami lost the title they should have one 2 Dallas

All is well in the basketball universe

6. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

lol. not that either. in the last minutes of the heat/spurs game 6, the heat needed a lot to go their way, which included some surprisingly terrible down the streth coaching by Pop. that never happens against the spurs. come on guys that miss, rebound, and then 3 by Allen? everyone thought the spurs had it in the bag and you know it.

that said, i dont have a vested interest in either team so I was happy for either team that won.

7. SunsRocketsfan

from a basketball standpoint in terms of passion for the game and paying any amount for the best team possible can anyone honestly with a straight face not agree that Cuban > Alexander?

8. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

People demonstrate passion in different ways. Just because Les is not yelling at refs and making reality TV shows does not mean he is less passionate. He's just a quieter, laid back, more introverted individual. Is KG more passionate than Duncan? I can honestly with a straight face tell you that Les Alexander wants to win a championship just as much as Cuban, and he will do just as much to make it happen.

9. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

So I have learned two things from the responses on this board.

1. The Rockets fan base on this board is a reasonable, high basketball IQ fan base. They have been defending their two championships for years from idiots who try to take them away because Jordan was not playing one year and "not his regular self" the other year. So they are smart enough not to dismiss another teams championship because ESPN says "Lebron choked" not "Dirk was by far the best player in that entire playoffs". Glad this board can put aside the fact that they might hate a team like the Mavs and be truthful about the situation.

2. The poster RocketsWin is one of those type of posters that really contributes nothing to an actual basketball conversation. He is so blinded by his hate for a team, in this case the Mavs & Mark Cuban, that he has to make false statements diminishing the title they won. He is also so ignorant that he does not even realize that by doing this he is using the same exact logic that allows others to do the same about the two Rockets titles. I am sure he will respond to this very post with something as genius as "Mavs suck get over it". We will soon all get to hear his unbelievable points and valid arguments based on nothing more then "ESPN said this so it's true".

Thanks to the Rockets fans on this board to restoring my faith in true fans. This kid was killing it at a rapid rate. Every team has their idiotic fans, I found the ring leader of this board.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

I can. Yes, I can honestly say that Les' methods are not inherently inferior to Cuban's.

The whole spending money thing doesn't make it successful. The Mavs basically during Cuban's tenure leveraged picks and young prospects into more highly paid vets. This in of itself is certainly a very good strategy, as it allows you to improve your talent assuming money is not an issue. On the flip side, during Dawson era, the Rockets method of drafting and adding young talent had limited success.

But Morey has since shown that it is unnecessary to continuously overpay for veterans when you can instead invest in a large scouting/development system. And you get the added value of having capspace and trade chips with this method. Morey has duds in the draft, FA, and trades. But because he deals in low-cost deals, the sheer quantity allows him to quickly dispose of bad investments while retaining the good ones for cheap. It's a model perfectly built for the new CBA. While Cuban's method stopped working once he no longer could outspend everyone.

And before you say this is Morey's genius, it's Les who decided to hire some geeky MIT guy and allowed him to build the biggest analytics/scouting department in the NBA. This may not get reflected on the salary cap. But there's plenty of overhead cost when it comes to having such a huge front office.

11. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

fahq Cuban. and fahq Dallas.

12. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

So insightful, did you write that yourself?

13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Cuban blew up a championship team for a pile of hoarse manure. So he automatically sucks. Les would never do that. Do you have any idea what he let walk because he was to cheap to pay them?

14. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Go away closet Mavs fan. Y'all are has beens with one lucky championship (because Lebron choked) and an overrated owner. The present and the future are all about the Rockets. So I repeat....Get over it!!!

15. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

As I have stated a bunch of times I am not a "closet Mavs fan". I am 100% a die hard Mavs and NBA fan. Unlike you I can back up my arguments with actual facts and statistics. You on the other hand argue as if you are a bitter 2 year old who resorts to yelling and pouting. Like I said most posters on this site are great fans that make valid points backed by valid arguments. You are not one of those posters. It is actually pretty pathetic and sad to see ou post the same message just reworded 100 times. Ou honestly have nothing to even contribute to any of these threads.

16. Jpar212

Jpar212 Member

I will also go ahead an apologize in advance for speaking like that to a oung kis that I am starting to realize is probably 12, 13....maybe 14 tops? I am 28 and I should not talk to a oung kid like that so my bad. I was like you at a young age too. Thought I knew everything when really I didn't.

17. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

So you're a die hard Mavs fan yet spend your time trolling on Rockets message boards because you're jealous of our current team and bright future while realizing your sorry team is in shambles. Now it all makes sense.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wonder if this poisoned environment had anything to do with Gersson Rosas abruptly leaving after being hiring by the Mavs to be their GM.

BigMaloe, RasaqBoi and Sidarma like this.
  20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Do you still feel that Cuban is the best owner in the NBA? He does have one ring, but I do not want him owning any Houston teams. He said today he isn't even very much involved with running the Mavericks.

RasaqBoi likes this.