1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta give major props to Cuban

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jun 12, 2011.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

has it ever come to your mind that if we had nowitzski instead of yao we would have won a championship THIS YEAR?

Im tired of everyone overstating what cuban has done (while saying what alexander hasnt) when he has had the good fortune of a lucky number 9 healthy 7 footer.

Cuban - 1 title
    Alexander - 2 titles.. we'll call it 1 and half since the first one was a freebie from previous ownership.. still should give edge to alexander for stepping to plate and getting drexler.. still we'll call it
    SCORE EVEN

Cuban- traded away 2 all stars and a 2 time MVP
    Alexander - hasnt traded away anyone that has gone on to win MVP or all stars.. not one
    SCORE ADVANTAGE ALEXANDER

Cuban traded/acquired kidd,marion,chandler,stoykavich
    Alexander traded /acquired drexler, barkley, pippen (do you really want me to keep going?)

SCORE ADVANTAGE ALEXANDER

Better owner? Facts show its a no brainer - Alexander

1 person likes this.
  2. choujie

choujie Member

LOL. You look dumber after each post.

A team with no defense to win a Chmionship this year? In your dream.

And I can't believe you use championship numbers to make a case for Les. That makes you look even dumber than before.

Les purchase a team which has all the tools to win Chamipionships. HE DID NOT BUILD THE TEAM.
    And after that what has he done to make Rockets a winner? Nothing every other owner wouldn't do.

Now Cuban:
    He bought a team which just had 10 losing seasons in a row, and he BUILT it to a Championship.

Who is luckier? Who is better?

1 person likes this.
  3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Cuban is all class, I think it's great he had the previous / first (or both) owner come out to have the throphy first! Now that's showing respect.

I think Alexander should've done the same, especially because he inherited a championship team!!! Cuban ---> Alexander in terms of class.

4. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I don't buy the talk that he "could" have built a dynasty if he was more patient with his moves. That's too speculative and not very realistic. Cuban was always about winning now, whether it was bringing in Jamison for Devin Harris or gambling on Jason Kidd. It takes a lot of conviction (as an owner) to be almost 200% over the salary cap and Dallas has routinely been one of the highest paid teams in the league. It's ironic he's the guy that let Nash go to Phoenix, but everyone in the league thought Phoenix was desperate and overpaying for Nash at the time. I don't blame him.

This is a victory for the purists. Guys with a lot of fundamental basketball skills playing cohesively together without the flash and athleticism that gets the non-purists overly excited.

Great owner with a lot of belief. As far as I'm concerned, it's mission accomplished and Cuban's a vindicated man.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Breitbard still owned San Diego sporting teams, it would seem a little odd to bring someone in who had it in another city and owned teams in that city.

Yeah, has nothing to do with drafting Dirk, if you have a star and half a decade to build around them, eventually you win, as we may well have barring injuries in 09.

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

??? We were never contenders when DM got here. IIRC the first move DM did was to replace JVG with RA, and as RA would tell you he came here to coach Tmac and Yao, and got Chuck Hayes and Shane Battier instead.

Revisionist history ftw! :rolleyes:

Also regarding Cuban, he's definitely one of the most passionate owners around and he expressed it by throwing money everywhere, but if you look at their roster today the main pieces could have easily fit under the luxury tax/salary cap. They're paying the lux tax primarily because of Brendan Haywood, so I dunno why you think you have to pay 150% of the payroll just to win. Not to take anything from Cuban and the Mavs, but all these years he was paying the tax didn't do anything for him.

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

He is dedicated to the team. He has a friendship with the players and coaches. I wish he was the Rockets owner. No offense to Les.

1 person likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Alexander is one of the best owners in the L. I dunno why everyone here keeps hating on him, what "owner" move has he done that has destroyed the team? I'll tell you the things he did which other owners wouldn't have done:

1) Hired the right statistical genius as GM (Kahn!!! had a statistical background too)
    2) Bought picks and players to the tune of 9M
    3) Paid Top rank coaches (JVG, RA, now Kevin Machale+Finch combination)
    4) Paid the luxury tax

Yet people here post like he's Sarver or Sterling. Gimme a break :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

And what has Alexander achieved for the whole of the last decade?

And how do the payrolls and the contracts of Cuban's and Alexander's compare?

How many times have Cuban paid the Luxury Tax and how many times has Alexander paid the Luxury Tax?

How big is the biggest, 2nd biggest, and 3rd biggest contracts on Cuban's and Alexander's teams?

What Free Agents has Cuban brought in and what Free Agents has Alexander brought in?

Please answer.

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYnthoQM3EA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IYnthoQM3EA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I'm also laughing at the people on ESPN saying Cuban built a great facility. The AAC was already well under construction before Cuban even owned the Mavs. He's still a good owner though, and he would have put better help around a healthy Yao/TMAC than cheap Les did. It took way too long for Les to finally come to his senses, and even then, it was Morey's trading/drafting ways that landed us the deepest/best Rockets team we had during the TMAC/Yao era in the 2008/09 season.

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

What you've described is probably what every non-Sterling owner should do and have been doing.

Luxury Tax? Les is a well-known for his actions to avoid the Luxury Tax. How many times has he paid the Luxury Tax compared to say, Cuban? In fact, how many times has he paid the Luxury Tax in the last 10 years? You make it sound like paying the Luxury Tax is a monumental action owners can never be able to do, but many, many, teams have paid the Luxury Tax year after year. Considering the Luxury Tax dividend payments Les has been receiving year after year while teams such as the Lakers, Celtics, Mavs, Knicks, pay the Lux Tax every year, the Luxury Tax is very much an argument against, not in favor, of Alexander.

Top Rank coaches? Um, McHale is certainly not "Top-Rank", if you follow the notion of this message board. And since when did hiring good coaches become anything worth noting? Which coaches in this league are "not top-rank?"

Hiring Morey could been seen as a great move, but we're mostly talking about financial things here and Les does not rate well when it comes to spending.

Lakers
    Knicks
    Celtics
    Mavs
    Magic
    Blazers
    Nuggets
    Cavs
    Spurs
    Suns

Thats 10 owners that easily beats Alexander.

And Money wins championships.

13. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

I honestly feel like he bought a championship. It took him 85Mil as a salary team to get this championship. Money buy's anything and that's were the NBA is at right now. Owners are getting desperate to win and willing to spend as much as money. Overall, Good Job Mark Cuban, you deserve it!:grin:

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Cuban is ok. There are a few owners that have taken on risks and rebuilt their team and won more than 1 ring.

Jerry Buss(Lakers)
    Peter Holt(Spurs)
    Jerry Reinsdorf(Bulls)
    Les Alexander(Rockets)

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Wait, this is a joke, right?

16. Victorious

Victorious Member

Hes a bigger douche than wade or lebron

17. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Oh well, yea, hes a pretty big douche. I hate him for he how brought down the Rockets in '05.

But successful people are successful. And let's celebrate their success. I'm happy for Cuban.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have never defended Mark Cuban in my life, and I can't stand Dallas...but this is an absolutely awful argument.

Les bought a team that was already built.

Cuban bought a franchise that was in the gutter and made them respectable. He hired the people who made the right decisions...he paid when he needed to...and he made a commitment to keep Dirk when there were lots of other people (me, included) who said he was too soft to ever win a ring.

If you're going to somehow credit Les with championships, then you have to give credit to Cuban for what he's done with that previously pitiful franchise.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe Im wasting my time with a 14 year old like you but when you were still in diapers alexander was getting names like drexler,barkley, pippen to name a few. Diop looks real strong against that barkley pickup.:rolleyes: Name me one free agent or player on the list of dallas acquisitions/trades that is fit to even carry the jock of drexler or barkley?You suck.

dirk makes 17 and yao makes 17.Whats your point? Both are over 7 foot and one has had good fortune with injuries despite being over 7 foot and one has not. If you remember anything ( which you dont) you would know that nelson was going nuts over yao ming, and would have given his left nut to acquire him.

How can you reconcile the REALITY that cuban was too cheap, and traded away someone that went on to WIN 2 MVPS in nash? How do you get around that part?

How can you reconcile that cuban traded away 2 MORE ALL STARS in Devin Harris when les has traded away 0 all stars and 0 MVPS. Dont let facts get in your way there 22.

So lets review - kidd, terry, butler, diop or
    barkley, pippen, drexler... umm I torn

GTFO and go back to summer camp or dallas ,or whatever middle school you are posting from. Its okay you wont be a virgin forever...

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

are you sure he traded a 2-time MVP or simply let him walk?