1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta give major props to Cuban

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jun 12, 2011.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have said it many times before, I wish he owned the Rockets.

DD

1 person likes this.
  2. SunsRocketsfan

Of all the owners as a player im sure players would love to play for cuban over any other owner.. he's passionate and takes care of his players and doesnt treat them as assets. Just saw his interview on ESPN.. he's a passionate true fan who seems to be very involved with his players and coaches. Just loook at him celebrating with the bench and all hugging. How many owners do you see do that??? He makes the mavs feel like a tight knit family. Props to Cuban for sure.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

All passionate fans have some doucheness. Cuban is on of few owners who is a true fan of his team, rather than see it as a business property.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Never heard him speak then?

"At the end of the day, you need to treat it like a $500m business asset" was his quote this year at that stats convention.

5. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

If Cuban owned the Rockets Yao would have been gone after the 05 season.

6. choujie

choujie Member

Rockets never had the depth because Les was never willing to spend like Cuban. Split MLE for old washed out players to play with healthy Yao/Tmac might be a fatal mistake. People blamed the Utah series loss on Tmac/Yao, but the truth is Utah was loaded, while Rockets had Rafer Alston as 3rd optin and Luther Head as 6th man.

7. choujie

choujie Member

Possibly gone with a ring.

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Pfff no, if Cuban owned the Rockets he wouldn't have complained about illegal screens and Houston would have beaten Dallas.

1 person likes this.
  9. choujie

choujie Member

That's a lot assumptions. Kidd +Brea is better than Harris any way you look at. Only God makes all the right moves. As the best owner, his job is to let GM build as good a team as possible without considering money too much. Cuban certainly did that.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Watch Cuban go and do something silly like buying the Dodgers...

11. IBTL

IBTL Member

good for cuban.

If he wasn't so cheap with nash he might have a few more titles by now..
    if he wasn't so lucky with a #9 pick(dirk) he wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs much less a championship.

For all the wang sucking that goes on around here for cuban , at the end of the day he owes it all to a lucky number 9 pick. You think milwaukee would still rather have tractor traylor or nowitzski? cuban should be calling don nelson on his knees. I'm sure somewhere right now don nelson is saying ' I told you so'

dont tell me cuban won because of being a great owner, he won because he had dirk nowitzski. The rockets had mcgrady and a 7 footer that got hurt. The mavs had jason terry and a 7 footer that DIDNT get hurt. That's the way the cookie crumbles, and it has NOTHING to do with cuban. NOTHING

1 person likes this.
  12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Here's another thing people forget/don't realize about Cuban. He is more in-tune with his team and the game in general than probably about 90% of the owners in the league. The guy knows every single detail about the NBA CBA(unlike a certain owner in Tennessee), knows every detail about the guys on his roster from star player down to the inactive rookie filling out a roster spot. Knows every detail about everyones contract on the team(Which I can BET anyone that you could find many owners in the league that couldn't tell you how much their 12th man is making this year, what his contract status is at the end of the year, etc). Cuban is so on top of it that it makes his team president and the GM (Donnie)as well, step up their game.

There have been many times his players have wanted him to STFU but I bet there are very few players if any that would turn down a chance to have him as an owner(if the numbers and external stuff enabled them to sign with Dallas).

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Steve Nash took it to another level when he joined the suns. The Cavs got lebron and they surrounded him with mo williams and 38 year old shaq. The mavs go and get a prime chandler and a HOF caliber point guard and great depth.

14. ferrari77

First off, the Nash issue was more than being cheap. You miss the part Nash's agent played in the whole brouhaha.

Every owner that's won a championship has owed it to the drafting (by their GM's not them) of some great player.

Cuban won because he's a great owner, he had one of the best players in the league and he made a TREMENDOUS decision to sign Rick Carlisle to coach his team while bringing in the right people (Dwaine Casey) to make Carlisle and his team stronger and signing the right players(Kidd, Chandler, Marion, DeShawn, etc) to help his team win.

1 person likes this.
  15. choujie

choujie Member

That's bull crap. You think Dirk won the series against big 3 all by himself? His supporting cast is way more impressive than Miami's. Who made that even possible? Cuban. Spending over lux tax year after year without a Championship is something not many other owners would do.

Nash might be a bad move. But it's not because of Cuban is cheap, it's because of bad judgement. He didn't think Nash would last that long and Dallas desperately needed a center at that moment. He didn't put the money in his pocket. Cuban is human, he makes mistakes too, but he has tried his best to give Mavs the best chance to win.

1 person likes this.
  16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Meh, let me clean this up a bit. I don't morey and his thinking under any ownership could crunch enough numbers to trade for chandler when haywood just resigned. I doubt he would have the salary of terry and marion on the bench. Now I guess. That can be pointed back at les and I'm not going to say this is the only or best way to win,but we know the winning teams don't really add and subtract salary and call it upgrading the roster.

Chew on this, the blazers knew roy had knee issues,they signed matthews. Yao has missed a lot of games the last 5 yrs and most recently an entire. Season 2 yrs ago. Who did they sign? Brad miller.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member

so the mavs would have won without dirk??:rolleyes:
    good thing kidd developed a jumper? :rolleyes:
    all the cuban wang suckers out in full I see.. geez...

he was cheap about nash and phx paid him more what is so hard to understand about that?
    Jamison, Devin harris as all stars and nash with 2 MVPS after being traded from mavs.
    How many all stars or mvp players has alexander traded away? umm let me answer that for you - 0

Don't let facts get in your way guys, cuban had a lucky number 9 pick and traded away a player that had not one but 2 MVPS !!! and now he has a title because of that lucky number 9.

signing rodman or a washed up darrell armstrong doesnt prove jack. His best move was his advice from don nelson, and the good fortune of a healthy 7 footer. Yep if the sun shines tomorrow I should thank cuban for making it happen. You cuban suckers are just that- wang suckers.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member

so what does that say about cuban? if that were les you would be going nuts but cuban gets a free pass?

yeah and mister great, mister everything, the praise be upon him, cuban was the one that traded nash !! Because HE WAS TOO CHEAP !!! HE TRADED AWAY A 2 TIME MVP AND WE ARE SUPPOSED TO GIVE HIM PROPS?

GIVE THE DAMN PROPS TO THE GUY SINKING ALL THE BASKETS A LUCKY # 9 PICK !! GEEEEZ !!

19. choujie

choujie Member

Dallas probably wouldn't win without Dirk. But Dallas probably wouldn't win without Cuban as an owner as well.

He got lucky in Dirk doesn't mean he's not a great owner. Dirk could end up in Dallas like KG in Minnesota. He gave Dirk much more chance to win than Taylor gave KG. Is it so hard to understand?

Has it ever come to your mind that there is a reason Dallas would still be contenders after trading away all star players? The reason is Cuban, he has spetnt enough money to get enough talents over the year that they can still compete after some good players leaving.

20. ferrari77

Dude seriously stop. You're just looking dumber and dumber with every post.
    As stated, the Nash decision wasn't just about being cheap-what is so hard to understand about that?
    You need to stop fellating Les and actually acknowledge the mistakes our great and wise owner has made in the past and give props to a guy who's made his fair share of mistakes but also made astute moves.
    Yes he is lucky he had Dirk BUT DIRK DIDN'T WIN THE TITLE BY HIS F#CKING SELF!!!!!! He had teammates, and not just a "playoff 7 or 8 man rotation" but 9 other F#CKING guys that came in and did a heckuva job. Jeez. It's perfectly fine not to like Cuban but to try to denigrate what he's achieved as owner of his team is ridiculous on your part.

IBTL likes this.