1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

GOT: Male privilege

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Apr 30, 2019.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

dachuda86 likes this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

dachuda86 likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Sansa find redemption? She's a female. She was love-sick over Joffery in the beginning and mean to Jon Snow and Arya. Yet she found redemption. She just found it sooner than Theon. Cersei hasn't found redemption. But Little Finger never found redemption either. So it seems both sexes can find redemption or never be redeemed.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Did the author of this editorial post a picture of her smack dab in the middle of her article?

This has to be a troll piece.

dachuda86 likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's interesting comparison between Melisandre and Theon. It's worthy of discussion - why is one redeemed but the other not so much.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ummm because Milisandre is like 1000 years old and her entire purpose in life was to defeat the army of the dead and felt that she lived long enough?

This is the type of article that anti-sjw YouTube channels spam constantly to bring down legitmate feminist causes.

The author of this article is cancer.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regardless of that, and what anyone thinks of her - there's nothing wrong with discussing a comparison of the two characters. Many women do feel men are allowed greater moral flexibility than women and that's true in society to a large degree.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes but it leaves out the fact that one female character who got Arya's friend killed, defended Joffery etc. has also been redeemed. Melisandre wasn't as intregal to the story as Theon. It makes sense they wouldn't focus on it as much.

It is fine to discuss two different characters but not basing it on a false idea that only males find redemption in GoT.

9. HTM

HTM Member

I don't think the history of film/tv has seen such a progressive show with regards to women and yet people will always find something to b*tch about.

BruceAndre likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Look at Three's Company

Buck Turgidson, Nook and B-Bob like this.
  11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think this show gives female leads a lot more influence than their male counterparts even, especially given the historical context of a fantasy medieval setting where it was a largely patriarchal society. And clearly there were strong female leaders in those times, but not the large extent that we see in this show.

I mean Arya killed the Night King. By contrast, Jon was rather useless last episode and Bran continued to be a GoCrow potato. Brienne was knighted the previous episode, was leader of the Knights of the Vale in battle, survived and is Sansa's most trusted advisor. She garners universal respect among her peers and is appreciated for her character beyond her appearance, although the show gives nods that even un-classical beauty can still be held in high esteem to the right pair of eyes. Also she whoops the Hounds ass in earlier seasons showing to be an equal even in physical ability, which is again is fine if that's what you're going to go with. Just, it goes against the narrative that the show an agenda making men superior.

Dany is still currently the leader in power judging by ep 4 preview, Cersei is the main antagonist it seems over the Night King. The rightful king thus far seems to be content with pussing out on his claim to the throne that was prophesied by his father, but hey, this show has an agenda for men's superiority right?

In a show that previously had little qualms with rape scenes, season 8 showed a virgin in a medieval fantasy setting get to choose her suitor and have sex on her terms, when she was ready. I clearly have no problems with this but even based on how sex is portrayed in the show, that type of encounter is more of an outlier, even among royalty than the norm.

Even the Greyjoy's leader is a woman. All of Westeros is controlled by women and the men that died, especially Jorah, existed solely to the benefit of a woman. I just can't agree that there is an agenda at stake here to make men appear better than the opposite sex.

Unless the show goes full troll at the end of the series and has a female leader, 10 years later montage where all of Westoros has gone to **** and it's because of female leadership, the show appears to make it abundantly clear that men and women are at least equal, and that women perhaps are even superior in some way.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO Troll level 1000%

[​IMG]

This article is awesome.

dachuda86 likes this.
  13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think the article is wrong, though I'd nitpick. I thought Melisandre's conclusion was redemptive. Her story didn't need a thank you to be such. As for Theon, redemption or not, I thought his conclusion was too predictable and too ham-handed. Maybe the female characters can set their sights on having a more sophisticated resolution than what Theon got.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think the point is that on the show, the characters IN UNIVERSE acknowledge Theon's redemption. While at the same time Davos was still prepared to kill Melisandre. He was going to kill her before she walked out and did it herself. She could not be redeemed in his eyes, while Theon could be.

All of the surviving Starks took turns embracing Theon and welcoming home.

Now I would counter that the characters have different fundamental bases. The Starks forgave Theon and welcomed him home not because he was a man but because he was their brother. He always had been. He is the prodigal son. Ned treated him like a son and raised him as a Stark essentially. The brothers thought of him as their blood. He betrayed them and he paid a deep price, but in the end when they all lost so much they took comfort in embracing their brother. His redemption isn't the story of a man vs a woman, it's really a story about Theon realizing who his real family was. He left his sister to go fight for the Starks because they had always been home for him.

In Melisandre's case, she was absolutely 100% redeemed to the audience just as much as Theon. (If the audience ever really hated her, I certainly didnt) Arya maybe didn't say "I forgive you" but she did. Arya used to want to kill Mel. In the end she stood with her and took her advice/guidance. Also, even though Davos was prepared to draw his sword, we don't know that he would have actually gone through with it. But even if he did go through with it, he was "raised" by Stannis Baratheon who believed in absolute versions of justice. Stannis loved Davos but still took off his finger or whatever as punishment.

Mel didn't get a hero's redemption in universe like Theon, but it's not because she's a woman.

As far as the overall cry of sexism I would totally reject it as a charge against the writers at least for their intentions. Theon was only "redeemed" by characters because he had characters who had loved him. Mel had none of those people to be redeemed with.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

How to tell if something is male privilege:

1. Is the person male?
    2. If “yes”, then it is male privilege. If “no”, then that person is being oppressed by a male.

dachuda86 and BruceAndre like this.
  16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

This. Oh, and: CNN and Yahoo.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

As far as male privilege, maybe the writer should take note of the fact that women run the world in GOT.

-Cersei: Outmaneuvered every man she knew to seize the throne and has held it against all odds really
    -Sansa: Saved the North's bacon against House Bolton when Jon's plan failed
    -Lyanna Mormont: Killed the Giant that was oneshotting everyone
    -Brienne: Beat the Hound in a fist fight of all things lol and now commands the armies
    -Dany: Has the dragons and everyone loves her for no damned reason
    -Arya: One shots the Night King and saves humanity
    -Melisandre: Intervenes multiple times to save humanity up to this point

All of the men on the show would be dead and gone if not for the women. Guess who made that happen? The writers lol.

Nook likes this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've found the show incredibly progressive towards women. Lots of women in charge and kicking ass.

justtxyank likes this.