1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gortat: How did he escape us?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DimeDropper, Nov 5, 2012.

1. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

I remember the Rockets did a great job identifying this guy, then Dallas got involved and made an offer which Orlando matched, to later trade him to Phoenix. How did this go down from a Rockets perspective? Were we unwilling to offer him more than Dallas did (5/34)? Did we know about him being available in trade? I'm just curious- we did such a great job pegging him for the star-level player he has become, then "poof."

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I believe he was too 'spensive. Besides this was right after his moster playoff series... could be too small a sample.

3. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

He already had an iPad

1 person likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He was a restricted free agent, so we couldn't have offered more than Dallas.

Many people think its a mistake that we never made an offer. I think what happened is if we made an offer, we'd be stuck for a week or whatever waiting to see if Orlando would match. And, in all likelihood, they were going to match. Even though Gortat was the top guy we wanted, the Rockets weren't willing to lose out on other possible targets (like Ariza) while playing the waiting game.

5. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

I buy this. A lot of people forget that when you tender an offer sheet to a restricted free agent, that money is completely tied up until the other team matches.

That may not seem like a big deal at first, but it's actually a huge deal, since the window on getting the really desirable free agents is very short, and other teams are going to have a free hand in doing so while you wait around to just see an offer get matched anyway.

Consequently, the free agency signing period becomes a game of chess, and it can often be bad strategy to lock up that much money early on a guy you have zero chance of obtaining.

6. jvu

jvu Member

He wanted to stay in orlando. They traded him to the suns a year after.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

to add to this.

IIRC, all the Rockets had available to offer was the MLE, which ORL could easily match.

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The mistake instead was not trading Kevin Martin for him. Orlando wanted K-Mart for this guy, but we turned them down.

9. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Too bad Martin ended up being worthless to the Rockets.

10. Nook

Nook Member

All the Rockets could offer was the full MLE. The Rockets made an initial offer of slightly less than the full MLE. Gortat did not agree to sign it, because he agreed to meet with Dallas. Cuban upped the Rockets offer by offering the full MLE. Gortat signed the offer sheet and Orlando quickly matched it. Gortat intended to stay in Orlando all along.

Rockets could not offer more than the full MLE and were never in a position to get Gortat. Orlando intended to match from day 1. The Rockets made numerous offers later to trade for Gortat, but Orlando was not interested. Eventually we just moved on...

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rockets had no chance. Orlando played Dallas the same way Morey played the Knicks with Lin/Douglas. The Magic pretended to concede the loss of Gortat, bowed down to Cuban and said sorry my Lord, please at least trade us Bass, after they got Bass they signed Gortat, drove off in a Ferrari being towed by a Lambo, laughed at the world, then traded for Arenas.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

My memory of that deal basically it went something like this.

1. Morey made Gortat his #1 FA target, and spoke to him before anyone else. However, he did not offer Gortat the full MLE. He said he had a figure that was fair for a player of Gortat's caliber and offered him. I don't remember the exact figure though.
    2. Dallas offered Gortat the full MLE, to which Gortat signed.
    3. The Rockets then offered the full MLE to Ariza, to which he accepted.
    4. Orlando matched Dallas' offer sheet for Gortat.

Although in the end it didn't matter, Morey's decision to somewhat nickel and dime Gortat was quite frankly a rookie mistake. In that he offered what he thinks Gortat should be worth, rather than what his market value was. Morey has since changed this methods. Ariza got the full MLE from us. Lin and Asik both signed with us for a number no other team would match. He would've offered Nene more than the Nuggets/Nets, but didn't pull the trigger because of 'basketball reasons'. So Gortat was the one and only time Morey made a wishy washy type of a FA offer.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) Gortat did NOT intend to stay in Orlando all along. The Magic sent mixed signals about whether they were going to match.

2) The Rockets were not willing to offer the full MLE and told him that. (In the end it was irrelevant, but Morey's evaluation of Gortat was off. He was better than even Morey thought)

3) Having your money tied up matters. It ultimately hurt Dallas as Orlando was able to steal another player while Dallas was tied up waiting for them to match (Was it Bass?) and then Orlando matched on the offer anyway. Cuban was furious.

14. gah

gah Member

I remember, except they signed Bass as a FA. That was badass.

15. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

Ha, my sentiments exactly.

16. Zergling

Zergling Member

I recall him saying something along the lines of he wasn't interested in Houston because he didn't want to live under the pressure of replacing Yao.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

James Harden says hello.

18. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Rookie mistake right here :p

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I know it's been said, but it's worth saying again:

Dallas didn't get him either..........

(r****d thread?)