1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gortat disgruntled

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 19, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Is there any reason Gortat couldn't play PF if the Rockets did trade for him?

2. rolandvpro

rolandvpro Member

that works but will never happen

3. tzou88

tzou88 Member

1st thing's 1st, let's get rid of the double roll toilet paper that is Patrick Patterson.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Rockets could really use this in a 3 way trade scenario if Phoenix starts exploring trades. More than likely though, Gortat is just campaigning for an extension. He's not going to find too many other teams where he's that much more of a focal point.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ctqyqrk

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Eh, I'll just stick with Asik and look at other positions to upgrade.

7. dobro1229

Here's something that could work given Morris keeps on beasting-

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d5a7fj8

Maybe Atlanta throws the Rockets first rounder back in the deal as well as a sweatener.

I think the Morris twins re-teaming could be a great appeal for the Suns. I think Morris could have great value come trade deadline time as well if he keeps playing the way he's been playing.

1 person likes this.
  8. dobro1229

9. Prince

Prince Member

exactly.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

I'd rather have Asik than Gortat at our C position. I'd rather see what TJ and DMo turn into than try Gortat at our 4. No Hammer for us.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Our team would be too slow.

And is there any guarantee that Gortat would be gruntled here?

1 person likes this.
  12. ling ling

ling ling Member

Can he play the stretch 4 and hit open 3's? If no, not interested

13. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

hells no, Asik is far better at what hes best at that than what Gortat is best at

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, for stringing together more than two pages worth of a thread with (predominantly) intelligent posts. I don't agree with some of the posters here, and I think some of the trade proposals are unrealistic, but the discussion is generally intelligent across the board.

This thread is a welcome sight to someone longing for a modicum of intelligent basketball discussion on the BBS lately.

Bravo! Five star thread!

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I used to like having Gortat on our team. Now he seems to be a guy who complains a lot like he's a superstar. Asik is fine for me.

16. dobro1229

Whether or not we want him over Asik is one thing, but it doesn't change the fact that he's a more than adequate center on a great contract.

He's a valuable player nonetheless. If the Rockets used Asik or thought they might be able to move Asik in a trade to get a star player in return, if they were somehow able to get Gortat as well in the deal, or before that deal, I would be totally ok with that. Also, he's a very good Pick & Roll center too.... Just throwing it out there.

17. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Why don't the Suns just take Josh Smith, though? They want that "marketable" player and don't seem to care about cohesiveness and championships, Josh Smith wants to be "the man", it's an attractive NBA city...

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He's got great touch around the rim and an adequate mid range J.

19. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Gortat interview here. http://gothicginobili.com/?p=5142 Just change the names a little, and we get a Jeremy Lin interview

A lot has changed in the Rockets since your move from New York.
    Jeremy Lin: Unfortunately, in my case – for worse. I'm certainly not the player I was last season, I need to find my place in the new order. I'm still capable of helping this team, and regularly recording a double double, but when the ball sticks to one person on offence, it's hard to find a good rhythm.

Last season you've created a lot of points off pick and rolls with Tyson Chandler. The Rockets don't play that way here.
    JL: That's true, but I can score in various situations. Finishing pick and rolls, in transition, from midrange, around the rim. There are a lot of options. Unfortunately, my two strongest plays – the pick and roll and isolation have been taken away from me. It's not easy, we have a lot of plays that don't include me. And my chemistry with James Harden and Omer Asik hasn't been quite equal to what I had with Tyson and Fields/Novak. These are things that we need to work on.

Coach Kelvin Sampson / Kevin McHale told me that the main iso/PnR option was James Harden. You, on the other hand, are number one on back-court defense.
    JL: Unfortunately... I've been deferring to people all my life, and now I have to come back to that. I will fight for what's mine. I'll try to prove to the coach that I can play an important role in the offence. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm even an option for Coach McHale/Sampson. He doesn't even take me into consideration. The situation is critical. We're playing the same thing we've been playing last year, but the truth is we have a completely different set of players. I don't think it really works. I can't get frustrated now though, I have to stay positive.

The Rockets have a lot of players that create for themselves.
    JL: We have plenty of players who like to create for themselves, but it doesn't always work. We don't share the ball as much as we have in previous seasons. The ball doesn't move around the perimeter – it usually stops after one or two passes. You can't play like this, let alone win. Basketball is a team sport. Nobody ever won a game alone.

Before the season you were optimistic about a chance for the playoffs, but from the picture painted by the past few games, the Rockets don't seem like a top 8 team in the West.
    JL: Before the season started, I was a huge optimist. I thought we'd play a completely different game. Right now, it doesn't look good. We still have a lot to learn, and a lot to fight for. We need to fix our team defence. We can't give up a hundred points per game. We'll see how it works out. Right now, I'm not losing hope, there's still a shot at the playoffs.

Did the coach honestly tell you what he expects from you?
    JL: We've talked before the season started. He said he expects me to play defence, rebound, block shots and quarterback the defence. He also said he wanted me to set up in the corner and wait for my shots. And it's my least efficient play ... (laughter)

What are you expecting in the coming week?
    JL: After the game against the Jazz, we have a longer break and some time to correct some errors in practice. It won't be easy though.

Maybe you should have an honest conversation with Coach McHale/Sampson?
    JL: I don't know if it will change anything. But I'll surely have a chat with him.

While in Los Angeles, have you talked to Mike D'Antoni?
    JL: Yes, he came in for a visit in the locker room. I can only sigh – too bad he isn't with us any longer... He's got the D in his name back, and I've lost the J in my name ...

1 person likes this.
  20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

The Polish Hammer