1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Gordon: "We can’t isolate as much against a good defensive team. I don’t care who you are."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drogba, May 15, 2018.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

EG has driven me nuts with his questionable handles and inconsistent 3pt shooting in playoffs, but he's not wrong in this case. Rockets relied way too much on iso plays to generate offense. Rockets did not get many easy baskets, while Warriors had several from off the ball movement/cuts. Harden also reverted to his passing the ball with 2 or 3 seconds left in the shot clock. Contested threes from our role players or even superstars are not going to get it done against GSW. Rockets have to have off ball movement and attack the pick n roll instead of just waiting for the switch to dribble out the clock.

lw17 and mockster like this.
  2. mockster

mockster Member

EG is an underrated defender, he puts a body on people

3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I would love to see Capela fake screens and slip to the basket before the switch comes, like what Gobert did to us the round 2.

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I agree with @ashleyem . While I agree that Gordon has been consistently bad all post-season, a lot of that is a product of putting him in a position to fail. He doesn't have the handles to create a good shot out of the ISO......he thrives when there's more ball movement. I full expect the Rockets to adjust to this, and try for more off-ball movement while limiting the number of ISOs.

UTSA2step likes this.
  5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It appears the entirety of clutchfans took a forget me now. Harden and Paul isolated to create open looks. When Gordon, Tuck, and others can't hit their shots it's on them, not Harden/CP3. Maybe EG, you need to man up and get your shot back, because you've been an inconsistent dumpster fire this entire post season.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  6. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

double post

#46 jcee15, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The big difference between what the Rockets did and what GSW did was it took the Rockets (at times) 20 seconds to get the mismatch they wanted (Curry on the primary ball handler). GSW was able to do it much earlier in the shot clock and could dictate how they wanted to attack much earlier giving them more options if the primary objective (get Harden to be an on-ball defender) wasn't easily exploited. Durant took advantage of it, so did Steph. The difference is that they got into it much more quickly than the Rockets did.

Gordon has been pretty disappointing two years in a row now in the playoffs. He's got to give us what Klay gives the Warriors when they run the offense through him while Durant and Curry sit to start the second and fourth.

UTSA2step and Andy Sheets like this.
  8. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

I’d rather it be addressed now. Another trip to the wcf isn’t guaranteed

Stormy1234 likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Also remember .. . . . . .A JUMPSHOOTING TEAM CAN NEVER WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP

Rocket River

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not sure if someone posted it yet but Capela said something similar.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden needs to leanrto make quicker moves in the shot clock. That has to change at the very least. Poster like Jsizzle and Samfisher hsvento atleaat agree with that.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . Harden makes his move with 10 seconds on the clock . . . .
    He is going to the basket
    Clint is in his position.
    The Defense is in theres

So .. . . Question: What exactly changes here? pass to the corner three . . .no shot .. . pump fake . .. pass to . . . .uhm . .. dude at the elbow?
    No Alley Opp possibility . . . HArden tries a layup - foul/hit/miss possibilities. . . .

Rocket River

13. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

We started off the season moving the ball a lot more and gradually became iso only team. no reason we can't move the ball a little more. we're never going to be moving it around like golden state but we can revert back to early season form some.

we won both ways this season. it can be done.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Except he's done it with like 5 seconds left in the clock many times in last night's game which results in only one counter attempt if the primary set up Harden was looking for wasn't there.

15. igotwhipscollectingdust

The series is over when players start saying things like this publicly.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Then make some fxxking plays. Be ready. You don't demand while your percentage in the playoffs is in the low 30s.

17. Possum

Possum Member

Gordon is a 100% right. Move the dam ball around.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  18. YallMean

YallMean Member

While there is a point in his arguments, but you don't freaking come out question your offense in the public in a war. Plus, what has he done in the playoffs so far. Sounds to me he is blaming the system rather than himself. We got him wide open looks and he blew them at a very high rate. That's not the system's fault, that's his fault.

D-rock and Cash Cam like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Finally somebody speaks out. You got these dumbass fans saying just make your shots but how? They are being guarded. The same **** is happening to LeBron James, surrounded by great shooters but there all standing around.

bilaal14 and Stormy1234 like this.
  20. YallMean

YallMean Member

What's the plan then? Pointing fingers at Mike, Harden and CP ain't going to win us games. If I were him, I would start draining some threes and then talk to the coach privately.

D-rock and bmelo like this.