1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Google Allo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Anyone given it a try here yet?

Really liking it so far. I'm not sure how many people will use it given the amount of group messaging and chat apps out there, but I really like the google assistant feature.

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

it is awesome, props to Miguel for finding out how to use Google Assistant within your chats

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It's a nice app but it took them too long. They tried to make hangouts the one size fits all messaging app when the architecture of hangouts/gchat never fit the mold of a messaging protocol for mobile devices.

They need to find a way to merge Allo with Duo and the stock messenger app and then mandate the combined app as the default messaging app for Android devices. There was a time when Google had reason to fear these types of aggressive moves because companies like Samsung were ready to push alternative operating systems. Those days have long passed and there is no alternative to Android anymore. For once, Google needs to blatantly copy Apple and create a unified messaging framework for Android.

Hangouts failed because at its core it is a PC based messaging system that uses virtual phone numbers so it could never properly associate with a phone's number. Well they actually can do that on Sprint but I'm sure Google is locked into some exclusivity deal with Sprint that is preventing them from integrating hangouts directly with a phone number.

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I agree. It would be dope if this became the default SMS app for Android. I also hope there's a web app for it or a desktop app so that I can use it on the computer too. I hardly use hangouts, it's almost an after thought for me.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

It's pretty much doa.

New life = add sms integration & make it the default messaging app

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Agree w/ some of the previous comments.

Add SMS or this thing will die. Plus adding in a desktop/chrome extension would make this a winner for me.

I get why most people don't like Hangouts and how convoluted it is to navigate, but it makes SMS/messaging seamless across my Android tablet, phone, and Mac. If Google tries to neuter it (which it sounds like), I'm not sure what to do.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Use pushbullet if that's what you're looking for. It's great.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No SMS? No go.
    Sticking with Textra.

9. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Agreed, I use Pushbullet too for having all these devices talk to each other. But I think you need to pay to type SMS replies from the desktop. That's why I like the Hangouts Chrome extension, although I hate the update UI.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah, I use Hangouts a lot to mix between desktop and phone.

But the recent update to the chrome extension SUCKS.....I hate how it's a separate window now. :(

I'm liking the Assistant in allo so far.

11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, textra is great (I use it too), Can actually group text correctly with iPhone users.

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

1) SMS replacement
    2) Voice commands
    3) Web Client
    4) integrate with existing google chats IF you associate with your gmail address to communicate with folks using hangouts (pipe dream)

As it is now, everytime I want to message someone, I tell myself. Do I really want to go through the trouble of explaining to them what Allo is?

13. playlife

playlife Member

Agreed...right now i might just continue using hangouts.