1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Goodwill game: "Their guards really hurt us..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ball, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Ball

Ball Member

BRISBANE, Australia -- Jermaine O'Neill scored 22 points and Andre Miller hit a layup with 25 seconds left in overtime as the U.S. men's basketball team survived an upset bid and beat Brazil 106-98 in the semifinal round of the Goodwill Games.

The Americans raced to a 19-7 lead in the first quarter, but Brazil countered with a 20-10 run in the second quarter. Both teams squandered a chance to break a 90-all tie in the final seconds of regulation, and the U.S. team used a 16-8 run in the extra period to clinch a berth in the title game.

The margin of victory was the smallest for an American team since an 85-83 victory over Lithuania in the semifinals of the Sydney Olympics last year.

"We came out lackadaisical, we underestimated them," said Baron Davis of the Charlotte Hornets. "You can't let a team like this stick around."

Kenyon Martin scored 18 points, and Andre Miller added 16 for the Americans.

For Brazil, Demetreus Ferraaiu and Helio Garcia each had 24 points.

The U.S. team, coming off three lopsided victories, used consecutive 3-pointers by Mike Miller and Davis for a 54-43 lead at halftime.

Brazil closed within 79-67 after three quarters.

In overtime, the Americans moved out to a 101-98 lead with one minute left and capitalized on three Brazilian turnovers. Miller's shot clinched the victory.

"Brazil did a great job -- they really controlled things offensively, they moved the ball well and they outhustled us at times," U.S. coach Flip Saunders said. "Their guards really hurt us, they penetrated our zone defense and found people open."

Saunders said his young team will learn from the near-loss.

"We were placed in a situation where we were fighting for our lives," Saunders said. "It will be a great learning experience -- you find out that any time you step on the court, you are going to be challenged.

"I think that when you win games by 30 or 70 points, you have the tendency sometime to have a bit of slippage. Sometimes you have a game like this -- and hopefully you win games like this -- to wake you up a little bit."

2. paikj83

paikj83 Contributing Member

wow, that's a lot of points in 25 seconds... :p

3. drpepper

drpepper Member

Next time, Francis controls the tempo and slaughters their PG. Next time, Francis is invited.

4. BTM

BTM Member

That's embarassing to almost lose to a team like Brazil. Those guys should be ashamed of themselves.

Baron Davis and Steve Francis are pretty much identical, guys. I doubt it would have made a difference.

5. FranchiseBoi86

Why don't we try to sign one of their guards to backup Franchise and Cat? What do ya think?

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Isn't this in the wrong forum?? Been there and done that!!:D

7. drpepper

drpepper Member

The only difference between Fracis and Davis is that Francis is much better, thats all.:D

8. paikj83

paikj83 Contributing Member

"i con-quer." (pronounced concur)
    i've got simpsons on my mind.
    sorry.
    :(

9. BTM

BTM Member

How is Francis "much better"? Their stats are almost equal and Davis is a better defender.

They're about equal and Francis is a little better.

10. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Their stats are most certainly <b>not</b> equal. Steve Francis is a <u>much</u> better scorer.

11. drpepper

drpepper Member

Francis ate Baron's lunch last season, then his mama's lunch. Thats all.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

BTM may need to check some stats. Baron's a nice player, but again, why did Terry make it over Steve?

13. Thanos

Thanos Member

Sure feels proud to be brazilian now...;)

We almost kicked your yankee asses back home... :D

sorry guys, but without Francis on the team, I have no doubt at all about who I should root for...

great game!

14. BTM

BTM Member

I guess...

But Baron's doing it on a playoff team(albeit the east) with a lot of other scorers(Mash, EC, Wesley). I'd also say Baron is a much better defender.

15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

...of course he's a better defender...thats why he had that monster game on jan 27th with a whole 6 points in 39 minutes and held francis to 20points and 10 assists, nice assessment there chief.:rolleyes:

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Yeah, and US had an 11 point lead at half-time and Brazil 'closed' to within 12 after 3. Go figure...

17. BTM

BTM Member

Oh and one bad game makes Steve Francis better defensively?

Are you a 2 year old? You seem to have the brains of one.

18. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

God, these dumbass kinds of posts are really starting to piss me off. If you don't think one game proves that Francis is a better defensive player then give us some evidence of why it should be otherwise. Not this damn, "two year old" namecalling BS.

19. drpepper

drpepper Member

Hey, what did two year olds ever do to you. Please leave two year olds out of it!:mad:

20. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I saw the game and I have no doubt that if Brazil made their FTs they would hve won in regulation. The Samba Kings shot 11 of 22 from 3 point range and their two 18 yr old PF and C who by the way have not played pro-ball held Marion and O'neil admirably.

I say the US was lucky not to be playing for Bronze.