1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good place to buy furniture?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's a good place to buy furniture? I feel like I've gotten ripped off every time I've gone to the big-name furniture stores. And when I check for furniture online from department stores it is nicely cheap, but it's these weird no-name brands and the products have zero reviews - and even when I google the products to see if there are reviews elsewhere, there aren't.

So I guess what I need is a furniture seller near Cypress/Katy/West Houston that's not one of the big name furniture stores - one where the markup is less than what Star Furniture, for example, might have.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Only place I know of is Katy Furniture, but I've never been there and don't know if they're actually any good.

Specifically looking for couch/living room set and a dinner table.

Also, while we're here, what would be a good material to get for the couch for a house with dogs and kids? I expect that with dogs and kids the couch will get beat up regardless but if there is some material that's better suited for such an environment, please advise.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I've got hosed down before buying that furniture with no reviews. It showed up and was almost like a play toy version of furniture. Almost couldn't even sit on it. Dreadful. I bought some good **** a few years ago for an affordable price at Big Lots. I mean it's a bachelor pad though so not sure if it would be acceptable but it was ok to look at, cheap and damn comfy. Decent sized sectional and a recliner and it didn't **** my **** up financially

3. Bob Barker 007

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

You can get all the furniture you need for free if you wait until bulk disposal day.

5. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

Its too bad Fingers went out of business. That was the place to go if you didn't want to spend a lot of money.

6. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I always buy from the smaller mom and pop furniture stores lining every interstate in town. They all sell a brand called Signature Design which is made by Ashley. High quality furniture at a lower price, and you can haggle for a cheaper price.

And as for material, I only buy solid wood and leather.

#6 HR Dept, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Haymitch likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I heard this this guy .. will ... save ... you ... money.

Bob Barker 007 likes this.
  8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I was a big fan of gallery furniture, but a lot of it is pricey. You kind of have to look around for the lower end items.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to go to the smaller places. Some on gessner and clay, long point, etc.

As far as dogs/kids. We have a Microfiber/suede type of material, and it seems to be easy enough to clean up, especially if you use some scotch guard ahead of time.

9. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Does anyone know of a good place to find home office furniture? I'm looking for a new desk, and other office stuff

10. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Design Within Reach has some really nice stuff.

Haymitch likes this.
  11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why not online like wayfair.com?

12. hvic

hvic Member

I have bought a few things from wayfair so far and like their product and they have great customer service. Make sure to read the reviews

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, y'all got some POOR taste in furniture. Y'all are clearly decorating homes in Katy. If you're walking into some giant chain furniture store that advertises during Texans' games you're not about the furniture game, FAM.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cheap furniture is...well...cheap.

If you are buying cheap furniture made from pressed wood it won't hold up.

Star and Gallery both have significantly better furniture than say Rooms to Go or anything made by Ashley, but you have to look around. Gallery in particular has a wide scale of low end to high end. At least it's all made with wood.

I wouldn't buy any furniture that wasn't made with real wood or maybe a steel frame I guess, but I've never owned that. If the furniture is light enough that you can slide it with your foot, walk away. You'll notice a lot of furniture stores put rugs right under the couches so they don't slide. Try lifting them. If it's super light furniture it's not going to hold up. It's cheap boards and however comfortable you think it feels, those cushions will be flat within 6 months.

cheke64 and Haymitch like this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I attached the "poor ppl" tag to the thread for a reason

BigM likes this.
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Being from houston I had always wondered what the deal was with gallery furniture.

Recently there was a car accident on 45 and I decided to take a detour to gallery furniture.

First thing that is very noticeable is they WON'T save you money.

It doesnt matter though because their sweet spot seemed to be clueless foreigners filling out credit applications.

In fact this is not a furniture store but a timeshare style.. credit app boiler room ..with cotton candy.

The furniture is like window dressing to the real scheme and that's 29.99% baby.

Yum.

I felt like a salmon swimming upstream past the credit app wall. the back slides area was dark and grim. It felt more haunted house in a john wayne gacy kinda way than kid friendly. My kids were definitely not feeling the pripyat vibe.

Lots of teen angst and I kinda got the feeling some of the kids were either children of people that worked there, or perhaps dropped off for the day? Lots of older kids playing on slides and this one tossing heavy ass metal horseshoes down the fiberglass slide. Neat.

We walked around the place some more and it was smaller than I expected yet it had this weird woodforest bank inside. wtf?
    I was expecting another stall selling honeybaked hams and fidget spinners.

This guy came up with parrots ...and it was then that I wished I had done Lsd before coming in.

I guess it fits though. It feels like houston.. no zoning. I would think mac would make it more comfortable while you are signing off on credit apps. But I suppose if the focus audience is hispanic labor worker - this place feels like utopia and christmas day all in one

cheke64 likes this.
  17. Exiled

Exiled Member

I built my own just by watching this

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know what's in Houston now, but in Austin there is a good sized "relatively high end" consignment shop. We go in periodically just to see what they have, and have put things on consignment there. There's probably 3 in town of similar quality. We've purchased furniture at a fraction of the cost new, and in excellent condition. Art Deco lamps. A dining room table and chairs. Leather furniture. Very nice stuff. Houston must have several in the area. Check google. You might get lucky.

19. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Ikea

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

So what you buy? I need some comfortable sofas, after coming back from an airbnb vacation I reliazed mine are ****.